I'm sorry, but they really blew the Drogon scene (book spoilers)

We didn't invent the Secret Service until after Lincoln was assassinated

No, that is not true, it existed before but its job was to stop counterfeiting. It received diplomatic protection as a secondary function in the wake of Lincoln.

I have worked with them on their anti-fraud work which continues to today.

No, that is not true, it existed before but its job was to stop counterfeiting. It received diplomatic protection as a secondary function in the wake of Lincoln.

I have worked with them on their anti-fraud work which continues to today.

Lol..... context. People understood. Save that tidbit for the discussion thread as to why the miserly thin insurance man is too dumb to notice the strange coin before he drops dead

Are you referring to a coordinated strategic assualt resembling guerilla warfare tactics? Because, it sounds like that's what you mean... LOL

They're all southerners out of their element, and you're surprised a covert operation was successfully achieved by the northerners on they're home turf?

And, yes it's my favorite show ever created, and IMO probably the best. By a landslide.

But I've read all 5 books, plus the WOIAF and all D&E, etc.

I think your are the one defending my friend. Instead of desperately seeking non-existent plotholes to make yourself feel smarter than everyone else... Why don't you crack a good beer and try to enjoy it? Or maybe a punching bag?

I don't know about you, but my life is filled with enough drama already. Why split hairs (troll) on something you enjoy enough (I'm assuming) to spend time on the internet talking about it.

As GRRM said, the books and show may take different roads but will end at the same destination. ...Sometimes butterflies grow into dragons!

Let me just say that your assumption that I am wrought with anxiety and unable to enjoy life is not supported by evidence and is incorrect. But since you addressed me personally, for no reason at all, let me return the favor: don't make assumptions. Address what I say, not my personal life. You don't know me.

As to your very minor attempt to address what I said, you're not every good with military terminology. This wasn't "strategic," it was "tactical," and it didn't "resemble" a guerilla assault, it was a guerilla assault.

None of which explains in the slightest how they were able to rig numerous simultaneous explosions inside a fortified camp without being detected. You think they had cell phones to set off their bombs or something?

Can you name one television show that has had dozens of CGI shots in one scene like that who has done it better? 'Cause I'd like to see that show.

GoT itself, in the past seasons had wonderful CGI.

Rodeo FX just sucks, need not defend.

My conclusion is if they hadn't used any closeup shots or POV from dany closeup, the scene would have been better.

Closeups ruined everything.

Maybe a pov from tyrion would have been good.

Yup. What we have here seems to be an editing issue. If you go back and rewatch, there are Harpies in the Pit when she gets on Drogon, but none at all a few seconds later for the Team Dany reaction shot. Just a lot of very exhausted looking Unsullied. We're missing a scene in the middle where the Harpies all run away, but it looks like the intention was for all of them to come down with a sudden case of "did not sign up to fight a mothertrucking dragon."

I'm apparantly watching a different show than some of you, because there was no problem with the edit in the version I watched, which was the main HBO East Coast feed. Not HBO2, HBOS, HBO2S, or HBOC. Just so we're on the same page. I know Sky Atlantic's broadcast has commercials. (How horrid!)

You see the Harpies run away in a long shot. They're in a circle around Dany & Co, then Drogon flies in, he does a lap, then there's a long shot of half the Harpies running away.

Drogon lands, one of the Harpies runs towards Dany, and the awesome Dragon theme starts as Drogon eats his first Harpy.

Some more turn to run, and some stand and face him. Drogon fries them. Then he's hit by the first spear. Then Drogon fries some more, including the cameraman.

Some nobles have found their way down into the arena. Drogon fries them, then is hit with more spears. It hurts Dany to see this. Drogon grabs another Harpy.

Dany yells his name. There are two spears sticking out of him. Harpies are fighting Jorah and Daario, along with the Unsullied that are helping to guard them. Dany approaches Drogon and pulls out one if the spears. He yells at her. OUCH MOM!! BE CAREFUL!!! HEY MOM.... I LOVE YOU TOO! /nuzzle

During this extraordinary moment, which I imagine every person who isn't bleeding to death, is staring in amazement as Dany raises her hand to him, to pet his nose.... at last there's an opportunistic Harpy who isn't overwhelmed at this insane, historic moment, and tries to rush Dany. Drogon turns on him. Another tries to throw another spear at Drogon, but Daario takes care of him with a knife toss. That's when Dany makes her decision to mount Drogon.

"FLY" - everyone gets the hell off of Drogon's departure runway, including the handful of Harpies that are left. Then there's a Goodyear Blimp Shot™ of the stadium, and we see very few people left on the pitch of the Pit.

There are Harpies running away in almost every shot. Some run away, some are already in the stands, some try to stick it out, many are dead, and in pieces.

Honestly. I think some of you either don't watch the show at all, and just make shit up because trolling the show forums gets you off, or your brain is able to only see things you hate. And since you hate the show so much, why even watch it? I honestly don't understand.

Have rewatched. It was pretty well done. Couple of ropey shots but otherwise spectacular and very faithful to the book scene. Also just noticed that the pit fighters in with Jorah were all types of warrior we have seen on the show. Norvoshi priest, Bravosi, Dothraki screamer, Meerenese, Westerosi knight and a big hairy bloke who looked like Conan the barbarian.

The Sons of the Harpy in the show are the stuff of unintentional comedy. They are basically killer terminators who can defeat any opponent, armed only with daggers. Not to mention there's a billion of them at any given time and they can apparently just magically appear out of nowhere in massive numbers.

D&D just don't really understand or care about these greater issues though. It just sounds neato in their head.

Have rewatched. It was pretty well done. Couple of ropey shots but otherwise spectacular and very faithful to the book scene. Also just noticed that the pit fighters in with Jorah were all types of warrior we have seen on the show. Norvoshi priest, Bravosi, Dothraki screamer, Meerenese, Westerosi knight and a big hairy bloke who looked like Conan the barbarian.

:agree:

I think the Conan guy was a Dothraki. I loved that actually. And I loved that we instantly knew there was a Braavosi Water Dancer there too.

The sequence had major problems, but it was mostly blown by the stupid editing decision to put it straight after the burning of Shireen.

Yes

That, too. I left that one out.

You burn Shireen, you end the episode right there, play the music over it. Period.

And yes!

A most anticipated moment felt anticlimactic after the horror of Shireen. That and the special effects that looked dated (resembling The Never Ending Story as one reviewer said) made the scene a little underwhelming unfortunatley. Drogon on the ground looked great, but in the air with Dany not so much.

But it would have been hard to make that scene as good as the image in my head.

But it would have been hard to make that scene as good as the image in my head.

The image in my head is completely unfilmable, and would cost more than the US GDP, so I think what they did on a (large) TV budget for a screen that isn't an IMAX, or even a small cinema size, rather remarkable.

Remember: If you saw this in a cinema, it would look much different - ask anyone who went to the IMAX screenings. Trying give television action the size of cinema action, is not a simple nor easy task.

The image in my head is completely unfilmable, and would cost more than the US GDP, so I think what they did on a (large) TV budget for a screen that isn't an IMAX, or even a small cinema size, rather remarkable.

Yeah, mine too. :)

And I'm not tearing the scene apart. I think it was well done and I've looked forward to seeing it on screen for what feels like forever. But Shireen dampened my spirits, let's say, and there was a moment or two of cheesy CGI when Dany was astride Drogon.

As for the Harpy attack I don't have major issues with that either. I thought the reactions around Drogon were fine. The only part I thought was odd was when Dany & co. were surrounded pre Drogon's arrival on the scene the SotH seemed to be politely stepping forward to fight one by one with an available opponent.

I think ridiculously bad is pretty harsh. There was 1 or 2 shots that looked a bit off, but that was inevitable. We're talking about a woman riding a dragon afterall. I thought there were scenes in Hardhome that looked weak as well (Jon running in front of Wun Wun). Having actors blend in with dragons, giants, etc is probably quite a challenge for cgi people I'd imagine. Considering it's just a tv show, I was pretty happy with it for the most part.

I think they might have struggled with showing Drogon flying, which is probably why they didn't have him attacking from the air. I wonder if it's not doable...they also seem to struggle with his physical form in general; he seemed ungainly and clumsy. I was also okay with the CGI, I understand they can't do everything I've imagined.

But I thought the scene in general could have been done better.

Archived