(Spoilers)True Detective Season 2: gold teeth optional

Elder Sister

Its likely that the guy running for state AG after sweeping the original investigation under the rug is working with the rich guys and we just haven't seen it yet.

Wasn't he at the orgy?

It's a miracle that nobody has killed VV yet, since he has been screwed over by everyone at every turn.  The Mexicans then might as well have killed him right there and taken over the club themselves, because who cares?  What's VV going to do to them?  

I was certain that he was walking into an ambition. As soon as he saw the girl with her throat slit, I expected guns to start blazing. 

I liked the episode and overall, I like this season. Not as much as season one, but it has some interesting, creepy stuff. 

I'm withholding judgement overall though until I see how it wraps up. 

And I think the hints of the occult are, as they ultimately (and obviously) were in Season 1, window dressing/seasoning. 

I was certain that he was walking into an ambition. As soon as he saw the girl with her throat slit, I expected guns to start blazing. 

Realistically the Mexicans would have killed him when they found him at their crash pad.  What criminal in their right mind is going to take seriously some outlandish explanation about looking for a girl whose got info about some unspecified missing stuff when they find their adversary like that?

Poor VV.  I don't even know at this point what kind of criminal  he's supposed to be, he has come off as so fucking incompetent, that if it wasn't VV wearing those daper suits, you would wish they already killed him.

OOOH! I just had a thought. What if those two orphans from the 1992 riot/diamond heist turn out to be Chessani's two kids? 

That has to be it, despite how weird it would be that the mayor adopted two children of that age and nobody seems to have any recollection.

Otherwise, how are they fitting that into the plot?

It might have been interesting, assuming that is right, a backstory on the little boy with the traumatic background and how that caused him to turn into the total asshole he is now as an adult party pimp.  But, again, no time for that now.

What a mess.

What a mess.

I don't know. I'm not finding it messy; just meandering. Reminds me of one of Walter Mosely's poorer Easy Rawlins mysteries--and even the worst of those was still entertaining. 

The structure of Season 1, the elegant way they played with flashbacks (and showed how the characters aged poorly) was far better, for sure. 

Had to rewatch to listen to the orgy music. I liked it, it's Hitchcockian, little things like that and the Lynchian scene at the beginning of episode 3 add much needed flair to the rather drab subject matter.

It kind of took me out of the scene at first as it just didn't feel like it belonged in a modern show, but I appreciate what they were going for.

I don't know. I'm not finding it messy; just meandering. Reminds me of one of Walter Mosely's poorer Easy Rawlins mysteries--and even the worst of those was still entertaining. 

The structure of Season 1, the elegant way they played with flashbacks (and showed how the characters aged poorly) was far better, for sure. 

There is simply too much of everything.

Too many plot threads--Casper, tape, diamonds, now orphans, real estate, missing girl, orgies.  Too much dysfunction in the leads.  Too many interest groups [cops, AG, mayor, mexicans, russians, rogue corporation, dad's cult....]

I don't mind too much everything - and I don't mind them not explaining most of it ( comes from being a lost fan, I suppose) it's just that the rest of the stuff isn't interesting enough to keep me invested. I've warmed to the the three detectives over the last couple of weeks and their fate in the next couple of episodes is what's making me come back to the show - as opposed to the mystery with Caspere/ VV/ corruption. I suppose that's the only level the show works on, for me. 

I need to watch a Fukunaga film at some point. I sort of hope it was a team effort between writer and director last season but I think Fukunaga definitely elevated the scripts.

Try Sin Nombre :) I thought his version of Jane Eyre (with Michael Fassbender) was also excellent, but that's a more traditional movie. Or you could just wait for Beasts of No Nation, which should come out later this year (starring Idris Elba).

One of the things I didn't like is that none of VV's guys ducked for cover after discovering the body. That seems like the natural reaction in those kind of circumstances.

I think the Mexicans did get something.

She probably never had the hard drive, right?  Someone gave her the other stuff to throw the investigation off his trail.  The Mexicans knew she had information, information really valuable to Vaughn.  They listened to her conversation with Vaughn and they knew what kind of questions to ask.  I think they tortured the information out of her.  Then they killed her so the only way Vaughn can get his hands on the hard drive is through them.  They have a tremendous amount of leverage and I think we'll see that next episode.

Or I could be wrong and they killed her for no good reason.  Kinda funny, with this season's erratic writing I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

I was more thinking along the line of information about the cop. I mean, a cop who's willing to provoke such a large scale civilian massacre should be big news. Either to blackmail him or to know who they have to avoid, because a cop like that ought to be terrible.

Killing her like that also sends a message to VV that they are willing to do whatever they want and will only honor the absolute loosest understanding of the letter of their agreement with him.

Why not slit her throat right before his eyes after she has given potentially valuable info to him. Seems the smart thing to do.

OOOH! I just had a thought. What if those two orphans from the 1992 riot/diamond heist turn out to be Chessani's two kids? 

Yeah, I had that thought to on the previous page. I could see the show going there, but it would make little sense imo. They better have a damn good explanation up their sleeve.

Why not slit her throat right before his eyes after she has given potentially valuable info to him. Seems the smart thing to do.

I don't disagree. But I think the point remains, the Mexicans just don't care. They don't care what the info is, they don't care about what VV is trying to do. All they care about is selling their drugs, and their deal with Frank was just that he 'see' her. Not 'see her alive' not 'talk to her,' just 'see' her. So that's what they gave him. They simply don't care about what she might've said, and also maybe didn't want VV to benefit at all from this.

I like this idea. I originally thought Ani when she gave a thoughtful look to Paul when he mentioned them, but the Chessani kids sound better. Could that be how Chessani came to power in Vinci? Either the diamonds or blackmailing those who did it? That robbery sounded like it was crooked cops to me. 

I noticed one of the security guards from the sex party was the albino from Banshee.

More orgies, please.

Sense8 has some if you don't mind looking elsewhere.

I like how it wasn't the scene everyone was imagining from HBO. Nice to see they can film things in such a way that it's clear it's meant to be disturbing rather than titillating. The latter would have been all kinds of wrong given the context.

Archived