Into the Badlands (AMC)

AncalagonTheBlack

Comic-Con TRAILER (2015) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH40EowbTz8

Described as a "genre-bending martial arts series", Into the Badlands will be loosely based on the classic Chinese tale Journey to the West. AMC has ordered 6 one-hour long episodes of the action-drama developed by AMC Studios for a premiere in November 2015

http://deadline.com/2015/07/into-the-badlands-premiere-date-comic-con-1201474251/

This seems really cool :) I'll keep an eye on this one :)

Is that just because Equilibrium was mentioned?

Glad to see AMC try something different and it definitely looks different.

This looks sort of cool. Also awesome to see a show with an Asian lead.

Refreshing although maybe not as much of a leap given martial arts tropes.

It looks pretty good. I just hope someone explains why there are no firearms.

If it hadn't been for the motorbike and burned out car I'd have said "alternate history". I'm guessing it's more a weird post-apocalypse setting although that scares me as I then recall "revolution" and their "no electric" setting.

Interesting looking. Of course, I don't get AMC, so I'll just have to hope it eventually shows up on Netflix.

That fight on top of the car at the end made me deeply confused as to when this is supposed to be taking place though. Also, is it supposed to be earth or some fantasy land?

• 4 months later...

Watched the first episode thought the fight choreography and cinematography was fantastic but was a bit bored with the story.

The scene in the rain...all I could really think of was Joe Flaherety coming out of that car in the rain and saying "Are you Marty McFly?"

I was entertained more with the choreography and setting/style than the story. The kid is annoying and I had too many Enter the Dragon flashbacks at the baron's. It looks like it could be an entertaining show if you don't think too much about it.

I was entertained more with the choreography and setting/style than the story. The kid is annoying and I had too many Enter the Dragon flashbacks at the baron's. It looks like it could be an entertaining show if you don't think too much about it.

Glad it looks good and the fights live up. To be honest given Millar and Gough's other work of which "smallville" is by far the highlight (and I stopped watching that after 2 seasons) I don't have much hope regarding story. Looking forward to checking this out.

Hard to gauge how harshly it should be judged, I suppose it is all about the fight choreography, as a genre Kung Fu films are not always shinging examples of great storytelling. The script was not too good and some of the acting was awkward. They have a lot of work as far as world building is concerned. I didn' t know it was Smallville guys, I may have given it a pass, for now I am not on board for another epsidoe yet, I may give it a few weeks and see what people are saying. 

The choreography was nice though and surprisingly brutal and bloody, I was expecting it to be more of a Crouching Tiger, bloodless dance thing.

I was entertained by it. But, I also enjoy a fun kung-fu movie, so it was right in my wheelhouse. I know the huge audience lead-in from TWD is probably a good thing for the show, but IMO, the two programs are so stylistically different that it makes it hard to watch them back-to-back. I did that last night and found it jarring. Next week, I think I will wait a day or two and watch Into The Badlands on my DVR.

Archived