2015 Emmys (aka the Maslany awards)

Igziabeher

I absolutely loved Game of Thrones for the first four seasons, then found season five to be an unsalvageable pile of shit. I also think that David Benioff should be publicly lashed for his little spoiler comment during that inside the episode . . . but that's neither here not there.

I think that you more or less hit the nail on the head with your comment. You like Game of Thrones, and therefore you're forgiving of the flaws in season five (of which there are legion) because you want the show to be good. But the thing is, there are, as you said, flaws and plot holes in almost any show to a certain degree. But this most recent season of Game of Thrones goes beyond that. It's not just a few holes in an otherwise sound plot. The entire story has been nonsensical, sloppy, and lazily written. And the dialogue was some of the worst I've ever heard on HBO.

"The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant."
"You want a good girl but you need bad pussy."
"Jaime fookin' Lannister."

And the writing has had an almost cancerous effect on the rest of the show. All the actors are clearly phoning it in. Tyrion and Dany meeting should have been one of the greatest moments in the series, and it was just awful. The production has suffered as well. Lena Headey's body double was incredibly bad and destroyed any sense of immersion in the scene. If she wasn't willing to go nude they should have had her wear a green bikini and digitized the fun bits. Or at least gotten somebody close to her height and age! It almost astonishes me how lazy the show has gotten.

I thought cock merchant was an awesomely hilarious line, as it was intended. I don't remember Jaime fucking Lannister, but I don't see how that's bad. People say that sort of thing all the time. Peter fucking Dinklage. Unless it was the accent. Bad pussy I'll give you, because I thought that line was bad too, but it was just one line in ten hours, and there were many really good lines.

And I honestly wouldn't have noticed Heady's CG walk if I hadn't been aware and looking for noticeable CG. No one else I know noticed it; in fact I rarely see criticism of it except in places where people dedicate themselves to tearing the show apart. I'm not saying it isn't noticeable and bad to you; but most people don't actually notice it, which means it was pretty well done. It doesn't bother me, because even aware of it it's still hard for me to detect. That being said, I agree that Heady should have done this herself, but I, and the producers of the show clearly, recognize that she is a human being and not the sexual property of the audience who must go naked against her will because the audience thinks it's necessary (not suggesting you feel otherwise). If she felt uncomfortable doing the scene - and I don't blame her for that; it would have taken a ridiculous amount of bravery to do - then she should't be forced to do it, regardless of artistic purposes. I do think people would complain if there was CG breasts and vagina - perhaps that would be considered mored noticeable.

And lastly, I and the Emmys would disagree that the actors are phoning it in. The ones nominated did a terrific job; but I think Kit Harrington, Stephen Dillane, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Jonathan Price and many more did superbly too. It's a pity they couldn't all be nominated, because they deserve it.

Veltigar,

I don't know. Even in season 3 you had the Julius Caesar insurgency plot line, which was so bad it was hilarious. And in season 2 you had like 5 people regularly infiltrating Rome and fighting their way out. I found it fun for its over-the-top cheesiness, like I find Banshee fun, but it's really stupid. You can argue "comic book-esque" all you want, but I consider it a case of the show getting away with all sorts of absurdity because it's established that that's what the shows about: it's about dumb fun.

And then there's the dialog. It is not Shakespearean, as the writers may have striven for. Shakespeare provides a ton of really amazing insight in his beautiful words. Spartacus writing is purposefully stilted and "edgy" and that's it. It provides no insight and merely serves to be somewhat comical. Compare this with a show like Deadwood, which has a similar vulgar purple aesthetic and does it very intelligently. It really reveals how shallow the writing of Spartacus is. Which is fine - I watched Spartacus for the campiness of it all, and the occasional moment when Spartacus transcended its writing and campiness and provided a legitimately good dramatic moment.

Yeah, I agree with you. Spartacus certainly made ample use of its comic booky aesthetic. Not many shows are as internally consistent and keep continuously playing by the rules of plausibility as set forth in their fictional universe. Spartacus on the other hand did fully commit and despite that never being the show's main focus, there was surprising depth to be found in the characters. The ways Spartacus looked at friendship, honour, love, loss and freedom were really impressive. Of course, you have to pay attention to notice instead of staring at all the boobs on display. In many ways, I find Spartacus to be like an anti-GoT. It started out more as a dumb piece of schlock, tailor-made for dudebro's. It was really indebted to B movies in that regard, but along the way the talented cast and writers elevated it to something else. GoT on the other hand started out as an intelligent piece of entertainment, but along the way the incompetent writers at the helm drove the quality level way down and transformed it in the dudebro's series par excellence.   

Wow, I thought the first season was barely watchable (never finished it IIRC). So the other seasons are even worse?

I just can't figure you out my friend. I thought the first season of Homeland was great. :P

After reading the last 4 pages of this thread I've come to the conclusion that everything is terrible and sucks.  

That is a problem with these discussions. People either really love or really hate a show; it's difficult to find a moderate opinion. And when it comes to it, there often is the tendency to tear down other shows to support your favorite.

For my money, here are the shows I think deserve a best show nomination:

Game of Thrones (win)
Justified
The Knick
Better Call Saul
The Americans
Mad Men
Black Sails

I normally call for Orange is the New Black, but I think this season has been really weak.

Anyway, all those shows have had terrific seasons. We still are far and above the likes of Buffy and Babylon 5, which were the best you could expect you of the pre-Sopranos era.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but: There are two kinds of people in this world, people who think Maslany should get a truckload of Emmys and people who haven't started watching Orphan Black yet. Seriously, is this statement wrong? Has anyone seen Orphan Black, like ever, and not thought that she should auto-win this thing?

I know this is beating a dead horse, but: There are two kinds of people in this world, people who think Maslany should get a truckload of Emmys and people who haven't started watching Orphan Black yet. Seriously, is this statement wrong? Has anyone seen Orphan Black, like ever, and not thought that she should auto-win this thing?

It's more that people have become fed-up with the Emmys and Golden Globes snubbing her and just lost hope for her winning.

I think it says a lot about her performance when so many people keep watching the show specifically to see her even though they can no longer stand the show.  

And then there's the dialog. It is not Shakespearean, as the writers may have striven for. Shakespeare provides a ton of really amazing insight in his beautiful words. Spartacus writing is purposefully stilted and "edgy" and that's it. It provides no insight and merely serves to be somewhat comical. 

"Cease fucking tongue, open fucking ears!"

"remove thought from head"

Take cock from ass and bow before Spartacus !!!

Yeah the first season of Homeland was pretty top notch imo but yeah I would advise stopping after that. Season two goes of the rails a bit and season three was god awful. Dropped the show after that.

four was much better than 2 or 3 but not close to 1. it is what 2 should have been. a completely different mission for carrie and not just following the established characters ina  myriad of subplots because.........

still not worth getting through the others though.

there is a third type. those that assume she is doing award-worthy work based on what she did in previous seasons but stopped watching because of everything besides malsany. 

and a fourth type: those that don't see the emmy as a significant measure of quality performance.

Gave up on Homeland and Downton Abbey long ago so I haven't seen the latest seasons, but I highly doubt they are deserving of the nominations they get year after year. Throw Danes out and put Eva Green in for fuck's sake. Or at least Ruth Wilson for the Affair.
And no Mads Mikkelsen yet again.... ugh

Yay that Tatiana Maslany finally got the nomination. 
Still a joke that Eva Green can't get one for PD. 

As for limited series, I understand actors for AHS: Freakshow getting noms. As for the actual season, I don't get it. It was very weak season.

If I'm not mistaken, after reading up on the changes in rules for the 2015 Emmys, PD only had 3 episodes from last year eligible for this years Emmys. I think. So none of Season 2 performance was eligible for nomination. Unless I misunderstood.

But it would explain why the only nomination they got in soundtrack was for Closer Than Sisters, which is from Season 1

If I'm not mistaken, after reading up on the changes in rules for the 2015 Emmys, PD only had 3 episodes from last year eligible for this years Emmys. I think. So none of Season 2 performance was eligible for nomination. Unless I misunderstood.

But it would explain why the only nomination they got in soundtrack was for Closer Than Sisters, which is from Season 1

Pretty sure Eva Green's performance in Closer Than Sisters is Emmy worthy, too. Though the performance from Possession would be my choice.

And lastly, I and the Emmys would disagree that the actors are phoning it in. The ones nominated did a terrific job; but I think Kit Harrington, Stephen Dillane, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Jonathan Price and many more did superbly too. It's a pity they couldn't all be nominated, because they deserve it.

Picks jaw of floor...

Pretty sure Eva Green's performance in Closer Than Sisters is Emmy worthy, too. Though the performance from Possession would be my choice.

Yeah, agreed there. Will remain moderately hopeful for 2016...

Picks jaw of floor...

what? what about that scene were where sam asks to be relieved of his vows because he has got something going with this chick, and would like to take her and head south? kit really nailed the humor his character would have found in that request 

Howdyphilip,

Shed fucking denial like whore sheds clothes. I swear by Jupiter's swollen cock, speaking without articles makes cunts of us all.

what? what about that scene were where sam asks to be relieved of his vows because he has got something going with this chick, and would like to take her and head south? kit really nailed the humor his character would have found in that request 

That was a good scene. I think they portrayed their enduring friendship well. Both of them knew that trouble awaited and something was about to happen, but I like how Harington portrayed the warmth of Jon's happiness for his friend. It was clear the place wasn't safe for Gilly anymore too. I like how the show has questioned time and again why one should hold onto these vows. The vows are cherry-picked by everyone, and scorned by most. I like how Jon's notions of honor and duty have evolved throughout the series, and how he still struggles over them. Jon has seen over and over how antiquated and misused the vows are, and yet the traditonalist part inside him still wants to honor them, even though honor has lost much of its luster - particularly when he saw people like Mormont abetting a man's incest and child sacrifice, or his brothers engaged in so many depravities, and the attitudes about Wildlings versus how they really are. But like in the instance of Sam and Gilly, he's able to recognize that hardly anyone keeps the vow of celibacy, not even he, so he was able to find happiness for his friend, and help him. It makes Jon an interesting character.

Really, the Wall has been my favorite part of season five, and mostly that was because of Harington, Dillane and Cunningham. There are so many good sequences. So yeah, I think Harrington deserves a nomination.

Yeah the first season of Homeland was pretty top notch imo but yeah I would advise stopping after that. Season two goes of the rails a bit and season three was god awful. Dropped the show after that.

I quit halfway through season 3. I almost never quit shows but in this case I regretted not doing it sooner.

She should get an Emmy for every character she plays.

Archived