US Politics: Clown Show Edition

awesome possum

Ladies and gentlemen, your United States House of Representatives

The House this week approved H.R. 1734, the Improving Coal Combustion Residuals Regulation Act, which takes aim at regulations approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in October that are intended to prevent the coal industry from dumping coal ash into water supplies.

H.R. 1734 would delay implementation of coal ash disposal restrictions, allow utilities to avoid publicly posting contamination data, and permit companies to continue dumping coal ash into leaking surface impounds for as many as eight years after contamination is documented, according to ClimateProgress’ Samantha Page.

The bill is sponsored by Rep. David McKinley (R-West Virginia), who appears to be doing the bidding of his sponsors. His top five political donors, according to Opensecrets.org, are Mepco, a coal company; Steptoe and Johnson, an energy law firm; Preston Contractors, which works in the oil and natural gas, coal, landfill, and quarry industries; Swanson Industries, which deals with mining equipment; and Murray Energy, one of the largest coal mining companies.

Hey, what's a little drinking water pollution compared to coal industry profits, am I right?

Also, The Donald is the gift that keeps on giving, as he's now going after and opening up the attack on Soulless Weasel - I mean Scott Walker - after he leads early voting in Iowa.

Spurred on by a raucous audience of more than 1,000 at a central Iowa high school, Trump said Walker has an advantage in Iowa because he's from a neighboring state but that the edge is undeserved because Walker has mismanaged Wisconsin's budget.

"He grew up right next door. A little advantage, right?" Trump said. "Except Wisconsin is doing terribly."

Trump faulted Walker, popular for stripping public employees of many of their collective bargaining rights, for falling short of budget projections and changing his position on Common Core education standards. The voluntary state-based benchmarks for achievement in math, reading and language arts are unpopular among a segment of conservatives who view them, if incorrectly, as a federally mandated curriculum.

Add me to the list that, for the first time in his life, is really fucking excited for the GOP debates.  This is going to be such a popcorn worthy event. 

Obama has only been in office a little over 6 years, his party had a majority in both houses of Congress for the first two years, so this really hasn't been an issue for him for 8 years. For the last 4 years he has had issues, that's true, but I can't lay it all on Congress or the Republicans. At the same time the Republicans are the opposition party, its their job to oppose his policies to an extent. Obama is not an LBJ, or a GHW Bush, he is not an experienced politician who can get a tough bill through Congress.

First off, they have been against passing any legislation since before Obama was even President.  Second, while they had a majority, the GOP abused the fillibuster in those two years more than all of history, combined.

You're being absolutely ignorant if you actually believe Obama couldn't pass legislation because he's not a good politician.  There's no need to regurgitate right wing talking points, the facts speak for themselves.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/25/republican_support_for_trump_surges_but_his_unfavorable_ratings_are_also.html

Trump polling at 28%, leading by a fair amount. A polling bump after making news for racist comments! It's embarrassing for the Republican Party and frightening for the country.

Take heart. That's 28% of the few hundred or thousand people they called who bothered to answer their questions.  It doesn't by any means represent a majority of Americans.

I'm still floored that there are people who will not only admit to supporting Donald Trump for the Presidency of the US but wil advocate for such an eventuality.

Why? He's not mad, he just discovered that speaking with a bit more candor and a bit less fear of giving offence is enough to make him popular as well as entertaining. He's certainly no worse than most of the other candidates (not much better, but not worse).

I'm currently supporting Bernie Sanders as he is perhaps the only candidate who is neither a member of the 1% nor their pawn, but if it came down to Trump vs. Hillary Clinton in the general election, I'd probably vote for Trump.

Why? He's not mad, he just discovered that speaking with a bit more candor and a bit less fear of giving offence is enough to make him popular as well as entertaining. He's certainly no worse than most of the other candidates (not much better, but not worse).

He's not mad, he's just a raging moron, or at least comes off as one.

He's not mad, he's just a raging moron, or at least comes off as one.

I think Jon Stewart summed it up brilliantly on the Daily Show the other night. He said watching Trump speak is like "eating ice cream while riding a rollercoaster made of blowjobs". He is a moron, but he's stealing the fucking show, up to this point.

Take heart. That's 28% of the few hundred or thousand people they called who bothered to answer their questions. It doesn't by any means represent a majority of Americans.

Unfortunately, I suspect that 28% is about dead on for the overall voting populace, give or take a couple points. Think it works out to about the same percentage as the Tea Party overall.

What I find interesting...or maybe 'disturbing'...is that I have been noting in the comments to various articles that some non Tea Party types apparently thinking strongly about voting Trump.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/25/republican_support_for_trump_surges_but_his_unfavorable_ratings_are_also.html

Trump polling at 28%, leading by a fair amount. A polling bump after making news for racist comments! It's embarrassing for the Republican Party and frightening for the country.

Remember that in 2012 Herman Cain lead the field for a time but was effectively out of the picture by the time we started approaching the Iowa caucouses. Voting is so far away right now the people aren't genuinely considering who they would mark their ballot for. Polls at this stage are going to reflect who has managed to get the public's attention. Such attention is a fleeting thing. Trump has been able to seize it by virtue of having the strongest name recognition of any GDP candidate besides possibly Mr Bush due to 30 years as a public figure, including a stint as a reality TV star. He's also managed to be entertaining in a way the other occupants of the clown car can not even come close to.

I frankly doubt he's all that serious about becoming president either. It's another publicity stunt in a long serious of such escapades, similar to how Mr Cain's 2012 run was a thinly veiled promo campaign to sell his books. Sure, if the twists and turns of US politics kept Mr Trump a contender when we get to the meat of the actual race that he would go with it, but that's not what this is about. To win a presidential nomination, much less the white house, you need not only money but to build organization. The serious candidates, like Bush and Walker are doing that hard behind the scenes work while Trump steals the headlines but they will be the ones bashing it out for the nomination when the winter of 2016 roles around.

Now, I would not put it past Mr Trump to stage a independent run. He has the personal resources to do so and had aforementioned high profile wouled give him a chance to be a factor in the race, if not a threat to take the white house.

Polling is generally accurate. But the situation of the polling can change how concrete that is. To 90% (made up stat that is probably close to accurate) Donald Trump is the only GOP candidate they are familiar with. So obviously he is a defacto. Hillary Clinton and Obama did like 40-50 point swing by the end of their primary and a lot of that was because Hillary had a huge lead for being the most well known. Things will change the closer to the elections.

I'm still floored that there are people who will not only admit to supporting Donald Trump for the Presidency of the US but wil advocate for such an eventuality.

He's still within the Crazification Factor range.

Archived