Jon chapters in TWoW

Pied Pypar

Well I don't care about spoilers and won't buy WoW until I have heard what others think of it/I know it is not another DWDFFC. So by the time I acquire it I will alrady know whether Jon is dead.

Let alone that next April I likely get the answer anyway from the show, likely long, long, long before WoW's release is even announced.

Never. That's asking for spoilers. Even if you don't accidentally read something from the book while searching for Jon's chapter, I'd consider knowing that Jon is alive a spoiler though I am sure that he is alive. Even if I know something "for sure" I don't want a confirmation for it until it's written on the page.

Well I don't care about spoilers and won't buy WoW until I have heard what others think of it/I know it is not another DWDFFC. So by the time I acquire it I will alrady know whether Jon is dead.

Let alone that next April I likely get the answer anyway from the show, likely long, long, long before WoW's release is even announced.

You have read nearly 6 000 pages of these books, and posted over 300 posts here and you think that you won't read it if it's similar to AFFC/ADWD? Wow. Like Sanderson once said, an author with a fanbase can get away with stuff, and Martin is one of my favorite authors. I hope TWOW will be more action packed that AFFC/ADWD, but I won't quit the series even if it isn't.

So will anyone else flip through their copy of Winds as soon as you get it looking for Jon chapters, or do you have more self-control than I?

Yes I am going to do this! I wouldn't if the book had been published in a sensible timescale but after waiting for years I just want to know ASAP. Fck George and his cliff hanger!

No, prefer to read it as it is meant to be read. I have a feeling you might discover his fate from another PoV. Must confess though that the further into the book that it isn't addressed, the more tempting it will be to look at the table of contents.

So will anyone else flip through their copy of Winds as soon as you get it looking for Jon chapters, or do you have more self-control than I?

I've never done this before, but yes, I will.  Not necessarily for Jon, but any Wall POV will get read first. Up to a certain point.  I won't skip to read anything in the back half of the book, as that could be spoiling other areas too much.

I will have the audio and ebooks so I won't really be able to jump ahead, but if I had the actual book in hand I would comb the TOC and appendixes like a crazy person.    The show shocks me as I am a reader and listener far more than a watcher and the show is killing my recollection of things that have happened in the book.  If Winds is out before the season begins, the show will wait until I've listened and read.  If Winds is out during the season the show will wait until I get the real story straight.   I hope against hope Winds will be available far in advance of season 6.   This whole show telling the story leaves me feeling cheated on many levels.  

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the tv show will spoil this for us, long before any of us read the book. GRRM has what...........8 months to get this baby published if he wants to beat the show and considering that he's just returned from a vacation, only to go on yet another one next week, he doesn't exactly seem in a rush.

Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Archived