Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

United eking out another 1-0. They don't look very impressive, though. 

Nope, but they're getting points. First an own goal to win and now a deflected shot (even if good play from Januzaj, prob saved if not deflected). Must be nice.

Rooney has had a bit of a shocker. If I was a United fan, I'd worry about ability to score consistently. Doesn't feel like a ton of goals in this side. 

Gestede is one of the most dominant aerial players I've ever seen. With decent service, he should be able to knock in a decent amount of goals.

And yeah, Friday night football feels very weird so far. Not a fan of the Monday night games either, to be honest. 

United comfortably controlled that but their forwards were pretty ineffective aside from Mata, who set up two very good chances: one scored with luck and one narrowly missed. Rooney was shit and Depay missed two good chances without doing much. Januzaj is very skillful but didn't threaten much aside from his deflected goal.

But that midfield is very capable of shutting down a game, especially S&S together, and their advanced full backs meant the middle third was very congested, giving Utd an advantage with their better short passing. Their defense was hardly tested because they always had time for the midfield to drop back.

United look like the new Chelsea. Not a lot of goals in that team at the moment (Rooney and Depay might improve) but they'll stifle games from midfield.

Villa looked clueless going forward. They bought the wrong Ayew. Too many runners without a good passer, and too many strangers at this stage. Richards did very well for most of the game but was beaten by both of Mata's through balls. Sanchez looked good when he came on. Too many failures to make a cross from wide, especially since that seems to be their main attacking approach.

Say it ain't so! :crying:

It wasn't great, but that's a harsh accusation. We control the midfield with the aim of building attacks- it's just that so far the attackers haven't clicked yet, so stifling is so far where it ends. The intent is there though, and the fact that the midfield is increasingly able to control the game is a plus. The starting three should definitely be Schweini, Schneidi and Herrera though (with Schweini the one to change out if you want more of a real number 10).

It was better than against Spurs though. Depay hasn't yet done a lot, but there's a lot in his game to like and I think it's only a matter of time. Especially if he keeps playing from the left (cruel as that is on Young), he looked a lot more comfortable today. His movement's good, his touch is good, his vision is good- he's just not quite used to the tempo yet.

Rooney's been anonymous two games running, that's a concern. Mata made some good passes but I'm still wary of his hiding when the going gets tough.

Best Young Player In The World (title previously held by Wilf Zaha) Januzaj being put in the shop window for a loan. Classic.

Seriously though that was a fine finish and hopefully he gets a proper chance at United this season after being mugged off for so long

??????

He whapped it straight at the keeper and it was deflected onto the post and in.

I'm trying to be nice.

Seeing the best young player in the world at Lyon in 5 years will be reward enough

I think it would be nicer if you didn't get the poor boy's hopes up.

He's going to be on the phone to his mum tonight, telling her how he scored a screamer, and then in a week's time he's going to be sat in the space between his bed and the wall, knees pulled up, weeping and trying to build up the courage to tell her he's at Sunderland for the year.

On the plus side his goal in the 2022/23 season which keeps the Mackems in division 2 is going to be sensational. Fair play to him.

I'm really looking forward to Friday night games en masse next season. The level of alcohol abuse up and down the country will go down in history. Would be amazed if the filth let it go on more than two years

Archived