Football XXXII - Start as you mean to go on

Alex.

I'm hoping for a couple of new players before deadline (I'd like them to arrive before yesterday, but nobody ever listens to me anyway), but after Sunday I think our main priority in the transfer market should be Eva Carneiro.

ETA: sp.

Honest question, because I have no idea: Where does the world of league football stand as far as women managers? Has there been female assistant coaches before? Do you see a woman being hired to head a major European team anytime soon?

As far as I know, there aren't any women managers nor assistant managers in top European leagues.

I remember when a few years ago lineswomen started showing up, and there were quite a few comments along the lines of "women can't understand offside rule" and other stupid stuff like that.

Football needs more diversity, no denying that.

I tend to find the bigger problem is that players, managers and pundits don't understand the rule, which leads them to complain about correct applications of the rules by officials, usually (wrongly) asserting that the official doesn't understand it.

In fact, that happens with just about every rule in the game.

Also, ten more demerits for Ultimate Sad Man Jose Mourinho.

His treatment of Carneiro is childish Mourinho all over again.

The Special one indeed. Still the worst character in the game of football. Generally utterly despicable and generally wrong on all his assessments on matters. Continued in this case with Hazard. You'd think that even a madman would be right about something once every ten times. 

It's being reported that De Gea isn't going to be playing this weekend either. He really must be on his way out right? I can't remember seeing a top player being held out multiple weeks "to get his head straight".

So weird. During the Barca vs Sevilla match the commentator said that LvG had announced that De Gea would stay on for 1 more year.

I thought it had been resolved. Turns out this shit is till going on, what a mess.

You can't let Madrid know that they are more desirable, though!

I would have sold De Gea early and bought Lloris for whatever the cost. Better goalie, and a total power move. Even if it ended up costing more.

Or especially if it did. It's not like United need their money.

Dunga has dropped Coutinho from the squad for the upcoming friendlies. So he'll rely on Neymar (even though he's suspended for the next two qualifiers), Kaka and Oscar, plus a bunch of cynical foulers.

A pity for Philippe personally but good news for Liverpool.

How did Dunga get his job back? I though the Selecao was supposed to be going back to its roots of joga bonito.

I would have sold De Gea early and bought Lloris for whatever the cost. Better goalie, and a total power move. Even if it ended up costing more.

Or especially if it did. It's not like United need their money.

At the moment, I think it's really about Madrid. They've behaved ridiculously during this, acting as if they don't need to negotiate and can pay whatever they think is appropriate and generally being a bunch of entitled pricks. So the bosses decided it's better to do a Dortmund and keep De Gea for another year (and if he's a good pro, he'll sort his head out and put in a good shift- it's hardly unheard of), let him go for a free, and sort Lloris or Cilliens out in the meantime, than let them push the club around.

That's what the Ramos stuff was about too. It's a dick-swinging competition.

If he stays a year, he will leave on a free right? Seems a bit stubborn not to just sell now but he has been one of uniteds best players the last two seasons

For United it is more valuable to have a strong De Gea 1 more year ( especially since you have upgraded your squad in other places and are aiming to compete for the title) than to sell him for 20 or 25 million.

United don't need that money, they just don't. If De Gea could be transferred in any deal with Ramos than I can see how selling De Gea would be palatable. But Ramos isn't coming, and never was. With that being the case, why let De Gea go as well if you're not desperate for the amount of money Madrid still wants to pay? Why should Madrid get *and* Ramos *and* De Gea?

As for De Gea, he is still very young and he should know that he can still go and play for Madrid next year, for the rest of his career. Madrid will want him next year as well. He's great at what he does, tall, Spanish and young. Madrid want him anyway.

Finally, I don't buy this idea that if you don't sell De Gea right now , he will be playing like shit for the rest of the season.

That's not happening and is only used an argument to leverage a premature sale.

Aston Villa have signed Adama Traore on a five year deal. Now I understand that he was never going to break into the first team once MSN settled, and that there are serious question-marks about his selfishness on the ball, but how does someone who was the star of La Maisa and the next big thing just a little while ago move to Aston Villa first go?

Archived