[BOOK & TV SPOILERS] The Expanse on SyFy

Xray the Enforcer

Only watched the first 2 episodes so far. To compare it with another recent adaptation, The Last Kingdom, while that one went like lightning through 2 books in one season, this is one seems to be taking its time with the source material. I had expected the Holden message at the end of the first episode, not the 2nd, and we haven't even gotten the reaction to it right after.

Slightly annoyed by the circumstances of Holden's broadcast - I may remember incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure that in the book Holden made the broadcast right off the bat because he was pissed off, and he basically is an idealistic idiot. The show just made him a more calculating, cunning individual. We'll see how that plays out.

The parts with Miller was pretty good, but some of the dialogue was hard to understand, and I can see how non-readers might have trouble getting into that side of the story. 

I thought the second episode was a bit weaker, but episodes 3 and 4 were great.

I thought slightly changing the order of events worked great, especially with the way the Roci crew were more hostile towards each other initially. Also they made a better explanation for why the flagship of the Martian Navy would pick them up and made a tie in to The Vital Abyss.

I'm only two episodes in.... love it so far... the quality is excellent... I heard they spent 5 million an episode.... but without the right screenplay, directors, etc.... it would still suck.... I'm glad they don't seem to be neglecting the parts of the production that aren't just bells & whistles...

I'm already totally addicted to this series.  Finished reading all the published books, and now have gobbled up the four episodes that have been released.  

I'm usually not all that concerned with the actors completely matching their book descriptions as long as their adapted characterization makes sense.  I don't have any issues with Amos as he has that cold dead stare couple with the amiable personality down pat.  To me, he's absolutely Amos.  I think the one quibble I have with the looks of the characters is that they didn't do enough to differentiate the Belters from the Martians and Earthers.  Obviously they weren't going to be able to cast a whole bunch of super tall people with long limbs and big heads, but I expected them to include something that made it easy to pick out the different groups when they were all standing in a group.  Some belters have a neck tattoo and some have a half shaved head, but that's it.  Not a deal breaker, but still annoying.

Avasarala is also a disappointment.  I'm not sure the efficient, methodical backstabbing and a bit of torture makes up for the potty-mouthed, snarky, sarcastic woman of the books.  Looking ahead, I'm worried how much they'll have to change Bobbie to sell their collaboration.  

Anyone else not impressed with the crash couches?  They look so flimsy and weak.  I envisioned some pretty massive seats rather than the uncomfortable things one would find in a hair salon.  

Anyone else not impressed with the crash couches?  They look so flimsy and weak.  I envisioned some pretty massive seats rather than the uncomfortable things one would find in a hair salon.  

Because they call them couches, I always imagined dirty old couches. :lol:

Anyway, that last scene of episode 3 was definitely a big curve ball for us readers. But the episode was good.

I also agree about Avasarala. My theory on TV Avasarala is this: Daniel and Ty can imagine an old Indian woman cussing like a sailor, but TV producers and writers definitely cannot (and perhaps they felt TV audience could not); so instead they cast one of the better known older Indian actresses, and just gave her Avasarala's cunning persona.

I was a little disappointed with the

<spoiler> Donnager bridge. Why wouldn't the Captain have a crash couch? And wouldn't general quarters in a space battleship entail everyone putting on vacuum suits? It just seemed like the only change was they dimmed the hallway lights.</spoiler>

Wow episode 4 was really good. Never mind about that curve ball, Havelock's still kicking.

I loved the battle between Donnager and the stealth ships; not sure everyone will, but I liked that they didn't rush it. And the gore, too, well done.

Also Tycho Station looks nice. And that last shot of the Roci, perfection.

This show is better binge watched, imo, so now I have to wait I don't know how long. ugh

Wow episode 4 was really good. Never mind about that curve ball, Havelock's still kicking.

I loved the battle between Donnager and the stealth ships; not sure everyone will, but I liked that they didn't rush it. And the gore, too, well done.

Also Tycho Station looks nice. And that last shot of the Roci, perfection.

This show is better binge watched, imo, so now I have to wait I don't know how long. ugh

I was thinking the same thing after watching episode 3 and 4. I am really enjoying Holden et al.'s scenes in the show, but I enjoyed his chapters more than Miller's in Leviathan Wakes. The crew is starting to come together now. It was damn exciting to finally see the Rocinante.

I don't remember Phoebe being mentioned too much earlier in the book. I suppose that is simply a choice for the adaptation, but originally thought it was due to Havelock's arc in episode 3. Guess not.

I really wish they would've included Miller's confrontation with the belter during the riot in the tv series.  Maybe they'll add something later. I did really like the casting choice for Anderson Dawes. He nailed the role.

I'm loving this show. I thought episode 4 was excellent as it shows they can do space battles but different from standard ones. Loved the hubris of the Martians assuming they would win and thought the "enemy" combatants had a cool look about them - weirdly I can't remember exactly who they are

was it OPA or the protogene/tech company or a collaboration between them? I've forgot

The actor and character of Lopez is really standing out for me. To the point where I'd peg him as a potentially main character if I didn't know the books. Hope they continue to make good use of him in the show even if it looks potentially dire for him. I thought they got the reasoning behind the martian hatred/disdain of earthlings quite well. The Martians come off as arrogant rather than stereotypical 20th century Germans (although they probably do have a lot in common with the German concept of "Vorsprung durch Technik").

The show keeps giving me chills at various points as well which hasn't really happened in another show this year besides Black Sails. I think I've just been waiting a long time for some space-based SF and even happier that it's great.

I recall some people being worried that the show doesn't look like it will finish the first book in season 1. At this rate I'm fine with that as it doesn't feel like they are spinning wheels at all from the first 4 episodes. I guess the tricky part may be landing the season finale when it isn't the book's ending.

I need to get some of my friends to check this out to see how well it comes over without knowledge of the books as some reviews have commented on that.

Because they call them couches, I always imagined dirty old couches. :lol:

Anyway, that last scene of episode 3 was definitely a big curve ball for us readers. But the episode was good.

I also agree about Avasarala. My theory on TV Avasarala is this: Daniel and Ty can imagine an old Indian woman cussing like a sailor, but TV producers and writers definitely cannot (and perhaps they felt TV audience could not); so instead they cast one of the better known older Indian actresses, and just gave her Avasarala's cunning persona.

I think it would have been more important if she cusses like a sailor and is full of sarcasm, rather than her nationality.

Regardless, I hope that they at least make her a sarcastic woman even if she doesn't say fuck every second.

This show is doing really well so far. I have some quibbles with it, but it's both very impressive as an adaptation and as a show in its own right.

I'm loving this show. I thought episode 4 was excellent as it shows they can do space battles but different from standard ones. Loved the hubris of the Martians assuming they would win and thought the "enemy" combatants had a cool look about them - weirdly I can't remember exactly who they are

These are the corporate bad guys. The Belter extremists come later, though they're both kind of connected through the use of stealth tech.

The Martians come off as arrogant rather than stereotypical 20th century Germans (although they probably do have a lot in common with the German concept of "Vorsprung durch Technik").

Funny, I think of them as stereotypically American, with them being the new (and, as you point out, arrogant) power looking with mixed feelings towards the old world, both thinking it inferior and longing to emulate it.

And "Vorsprung durch Technik" is not a general German concept, just the PR slogan of the Audi AG.;)

I have watched the first three episodes after I read the first book and like a hundred pages of the second. Im pretty cool with most of the casting. Amos was Ray Stevenson in my head so this guy isn't too far off.

I enjoyed Millers chapters a lot more than Holden's in the book but on the show so far I'm enjoying Holden's story more.

The end to episode three was really fucking unexpected. 

I also imagined the crash couches to be more like couches. It's repeatedly mentioned how it forms around the body to hold it in place, and I thought the same design was used in general quarters as a bed (it's at least mentioned that people sleep in their crash couches).

I did like the coriolis effect when Miller was pouring the alcohol in episode 2. It was a nice touch.

It wasn't the Coriolis effect I thought of, but isn't Miller's apartment quite near the surface of Ceres? I don't know the specifics of how to calculate Coriolis effects, but I have a hard time imagining it would be that influential where he is. If it was all people would be walking around like drunks.

I have a friend who likes genre-type shows and hasn't read the books. He was really pumped after the first episode; thought episode 2 was too slow, but then really liked episodes 3 and 4. Haven't gotten into the specifics of how he perceives the show, though.

I like the mentions of Phoebe, as it gives the Donnager a plausible explanation for why it's there, and also serves as background for the Proto-stuff later.

I'm possibly misremembering but the show has switched relationship Amos had with Holden to Naomi, right? Pretty sure that's how it was in the books. It does give the Holden cast more to do though than simply all being connected to Holden and I get the impression Amos builds trusting relatinships anyhow so can add Holden to his list. It just seems important given the amount of times he puts his life on the line for Holden.

Yeah I took it to be Naomi is his boss at the start and she's who he is mapping his moral code onto.  Over the course of the story this switches to Holden and we will see him have this same dynamic there.

One thing I haven't seen yet is I love the Afrikaaner Jamaican Whateverthehellelse Belter accent, such a weird and effective blend it really stands out.  Especially when it's Jared Harris speaking and I'm expecting a polished British accent.

Loved it so far, need more episodes already! On Lopez

I missed what he said just before Alex took the Roci out, but I thought it was basically an acknowledgement that they were going to need to fly in a way that was going to kill him, and then they head out and burn hard so...I thought Lopez=dead now.

This show is doing really well so far. I have some quibbles with it, but it's both very impressive as an adaptation and as a show in its own right.

Hidden Content

Funny, I think of them as stereotypically American, with them being the new (and, as you point out, arrogant) power looking with mixed feelings towards the old world, both thinking it inferior and longing to emulate it.

And "Vorsprung durch Technik" is not a general German concept, just the PR slogan of the Audi AG.;)

Americans with the industrious savvy of Germans works too. I know it's the Audi slogan but after living with a german for a few years and knowing/meeting a lot of them it seems to be in their DNAin terms of attitude (look at the football team - it didn't appear but was the result of 8 years worth of development). In terms of WWI Germany's tech/supply structure was the sole reason they lasted so long (and almost won on several occasions)

I enjoyed Millers chapters a lot more than Holden's in the book but on the show so far I'm enjoying Holden's story more.

I felt exactly the same - weird how some things work better on screen. I guess Holden works better as a man of action while part of Miller's appeal was seeing how he saw the world.

Hidden Content

Prepared to die but not dead yet anyhow. Again can't remember from the book but it would certainly be a shame to lose him.

Episodes 3 and especially 4 really picked it up though. The end to 4 when we saw the "Tachi" take off and start firing gave me goosebumps.

And that's how you recognize GITS fans :P

It's the Rocinante, not the Tachikoma.

Episode 4 was outstanding. Really loved the point of view of the Martians. I was one of those worried that the show would be too slow and full of fillers (like the Holden crew filler of episode 2) when we learned of the synopses of season 1, but this is the kind of additions that make for great TV.

Archived