Football: The Lame Duck

AncalagonTheBlack

Sure, it's a bit of a hyperbole, but not completely.

Think about it - Mahrez and Vardy carrying Leicester to the Premiership title right in front of the noses of Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United... That HAS to be a great argument for putting them in the top tier of footballers in the last decade or two.

As for Leicester winning the league being the most magnificent thing EVER, I was completely serious about that. Limited to football, of course.

Mahrez and Vardy are the main contributors, but it seems churlish to suggest that they're 'carrying' players like N'Golo Kante, Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, and many other Leicester players who have been playing magnificently well.

As for the 'top tier of the last decade or two'? You need more than a great season or two to be even considered for that. You need to be great for a significant part of that period.

First of all it's Ranieri who turned things around. 35 points in like 16 games with them. Well, it's 6th best managerial start in the history of PL. Astonishing. I liked even at Chelsea and that's something to say.

Schmeichel, whole defence, Kante. Of course it's not just Vardy and Mahrez. But these are highly bankable players, attacking stars, scores goals, and given Vardy's age. Might be good thing to sell him in the summer. January most likely not. With Mahrez it's a bit different case. Still young, they don't need to sell both with money that comes to PL thanks to Tv rights.

If Leicester can manage to stay near the top or at the top at end of January. I think they might do it, but currently I would be a little more reserved towards their chances of title...but it would be something amazing. Even better than Blackburn with Kenny, Shearer and co when they did that.

Btw talks of Juande Ramos at Chelsea. That would be fun. :laugh:

First of all it's Ranieri who turned things around.

While Ranieri has done great since he took over, they've been in fantastic form since the end of last season when they got seven wins and a draw ought of their last nine games, so you can't really say he turned it around. And despite his reputation he didn't really tinker too much with the overall gameplan that Pearson instituted, just tweaked it a little.

On other subjects, while the thunder is quite understandably being stolen by Leicester, I wanna give some props to how well Watford are doing right now. Yeah, they bought a lot of players but Flores has done excellently to match the new guys with the ones who were already there, he got things up and running very very quickly and they're currently sitting pretty in seventh, four points away from a CL spot. Which is fantastic going for a promoted team by any measure and in any other season people would be raving about it.

While Ranieri has done great since he took over, they've been in fantastic form since the end of last season when they got seven wins and a draw ought of their last nine games, so you can't really say he turned it around. And despite his reputation he didn't really tinker too much with the overall gameplan that Pearson instituted, just tweaked it a little.

On other subjects, while the thunder is quite understandably being stolen by Leicester, I wanna give some props to how well Watford are doing right now. Yeah, they bought a lot of players but Flores has done excellently to match the new guys with the ones who were already there, he got things up and running very very quickly and they're currently sitting pretty in seventh, four points away from a CL spot. Which is fantastic going for a promoted team by any measure and in any other season people would be raving about it.

Pearson did saved them last season. That is true, but Ranieri turned things around in terms of building confidence, he turned good players into world beaters. In a way he turned things around the club, but yeah I should've explained it more clearly. It's a similiar to what Mourinho was well reannounce for. Ironically it was Ranieri involved in both scenarios ,but this time he improved them. Of course, that was Chelsea full of stars and this is Leicester...but you get my sentiment here. He turned mid-table team into league leaders and actually their style is very much of what Ranieri played in Chelsea. He really can't change a much of that given the players at his disposal and actually they sutis his style of football. We can sit here and speculate if Pearson would have done the same thing. It's sort of scenario "what if", but yeah props to him for laying the foundation. And now they sit on the top of the PL.

Watford is another surprise of this season. In a way, it's an even more impressive stuff given all the changes, Flores unlike Ranieri with no experience in PL, newly promoted. One way is t be good in Championship and other in PL. Whole new different level. Hats off to him.

Seems like Pep will be available next season. Saw a report stating the Bild was reporting that Pep has told Bayern he will not be renewing his contract. Perhaps Chelsea will install an interim manager and go all out to try and get Pep on a permanent basis at the end of the season. City will be on high alert as well.

Seems like Pep will be available next season. Saw a report stating the Bild was reporting that Pep has told Bayern he will not be renewing his contract. Perhaps Chelsea will install an interim manager and go all out to try and get Pep on a permanent basis at the end of the season. City will be on high alert as well.

Lots of reports of Pep going to City. No idea what's going to happen but next season will be interesting with new Chelsea, City and Liverpool (Klopp) managers. And Arsenal will still have Wenger.

This makes me laugh. One year after winning title and he's sacked. So funny.

The irony is we'll have less to laugh about now he's gone. Watching Chelsea's season unravel has been most entertaining. On the bright side, United are favourites to be Jose's next destination. Should be equally hilarious.

Archived