Football: The Lame Duck

AncalagonTheBlack

Why the hell would Pep go to Madrid?

Anyway Mourinho rejecting Roma doesn't mean United have accepted him. Everyone knows he wants the job, that's not the part of the equation that needs to be proven.

It might seem odd, but I am a Real and City fan, and I was referring to City at that point.

If LVG is sack, who can United look to except Mourinho? 

Assuming Guardiola will indeed sign for Manchester City, does that mean Pellegrini will sign for Chelski? And who will be the next one to sit the Real bench for a season or two.

Pelligrini to Chelsea. Doesn't seem likely, but :dunno: 

As for Real, its heavily speculated that Zizou might be given a chance.

If LVG is sack, who can United look to except Mourinho? 

Laurent Blanc, maybe (I'm not sure how firmly he's dug in at PSG). Simeone (Chelsea are almost certainly going to try for him in summer, I reckon, but we could steal a march). Conte's probably too fresh to the Italy job to consider ditching it now, but it might be worth a go.

There's options.

Benitez will very likely be out of work by the end of the season (unless some miracle happens), Capello is also out of work atm.

So there are a few big names available by the end of the season. Maybe Frank de Boer wants to leave the little pond called Dutch Eredivisie and work in England or Spain.

The market for managers/head coaches is a bit hard to predict atm.

That was an excellent performance by Watford. At no point did Liverpool look like they were capable of getting anything from the game. Of the Liverpool matches I've seen since Klopp took over, this was their worst showing.

Aside from the dire football that we have been playing, this season has been awesome.

Laurent Blanc, maybe (I'm not sure how firmly he's dug in at PSG). Simeone (Chelsea are almost certainly going to try for him in summer, I reckon, but we could steal a march). Conte's probably too fresh to the Italy job to consider ditching it now, but it might be worth a go.

There's options.

And in most likelihood, Benitez will also be available. But Mourinho, IMO is the likeliest to take over.

This has been a very interesting year for Premier League and its been so fun to watch.

Had to finish some things today, so I saw only first half hour of the Watford vs Liverpool, and I must say that Liverpool gave THE shittiest defensive performance I have ever seen in 18 years of watching Premier league matches. They literally looked as a Sunday league team. It was disgraceful. I understand that Klopp just joined and will need time to rebuild the team and all that, but what I saw from them today wasn't anywhere near the top-flight standard. How difficult could it be to train your defensive players to clear the damn ball from the box?

Watford and Palace chasing the CL spots. This season is weird.

Don't forget Leicester chasing the title. ;)

This week's saving grace: I had Ighalo as captain on my fantasy team.

I know you did - we face each other in board's head-to-head league. :(

There's still some chance of me beating you, but I "only" need 19 points from De Bruyne and Cech (it will certainly be more after bonus points are awarded for today's matches).

must say that Liverpool gave THE shittiest defensive performance I have ever seen in 18 years of watching Premier league matches.

They weren't great, but if that's the worst you've seen you've avoided plenty of games from the likes of Sunderland, Derby and Reading down the years.

eta: Leicester chasing the title went without saying. :P

I thought you were exaggerating, but no. He literally says 'I'm sorry about me'.

ETA - even by Blatter's standards, which are high, this is a bizarre and rambling press conference.

Selected quotes:

"This decision to suspend the Fifa president ... in all countries where human rights exist - in the Olympic Charter and the Charter of the United Nations - before you are sanctioned you have the right to be heard.
"Inside Fifa people couldn't understand why the president is suspended.

"It has created a lot of collateral damage outside of of Fifa. My family were mocked, my daughters and their friends were mocked, my village was in a crisis."

'My village was in a crisis'?

"I am a man of principles. I repeat: Never take money you have not earned, pay your debts."

"I congratulate the club of Barcelona for winning for the third time the Fifa World Club Cup."

Little off-topic there.

"By the way to suspend the president of Fifa and to forbid him to go to a football stadium ... this is wrong because in the disciplinary court when this applies to players, coaches and refs, they do not go to stadiums but they can still practice with their teams.

"To suspend the president of Fifa from a football match it is absolutely wrong when it does not apply to the other persons."

Uh... what?

" The only thing they should have done is to say: 'Yes if this arrangement existed, you should have put it somewhere in the books.'

"I agree to that. But this is administrative and financial proceeding. It is nothing to do with ethics."

And the headline:

"I am really sorry. I am sorry that I am still a punching ball. I am as president of Fifa this punching ball. And I am sorry for football. I am sorry to Fifa. I have served them for more than 40 years. I am sorry for 400-plus team members working in Fifa. I'm sorry.

"But I'm also sorry abut me. How I am treated in this world of humanity."

I'm so glad I missed that Liverpool game. We had a high against Chelsea, City and Southampton but the honeymoon is over and we look so easy to beat. A lot of work is needed to rebuild the team, not just with fresh recruits but with a huge amount of coaching and tactics to reverse the soft defense and pointless midfield of the past several years.

I'm in Ireland and Paris for the next couple of weeks so will probably have less (or no) opportunity to watch them play in that period. It may not be a bad thing.

You're probably going to get ruined by Leicester who basically play Kloppball much better than Liverpool are set up to at the moment, but after that you have a few games against teams not specifically set up to play with a solid press and fast counters so your form should improve. I think that's been the problem, your bad results have come against Palace, West Brom and Watford, all teams set up in ways that make it easy for them to take advantage of your exact weaknesses.

Archived