Football: The Lame Duck

AncalagonTheBlack

It's partially his fault in a way, but media and some journalists in particular (if I can call them that) can be nasty. Media have have powers over them. They can say anything without any consequences. More sh*tty and more controversial. The better. The Sun, Daily Mail and others. 

Zidane can be Real's Guardiola or Luis Enrique or Perez will go for known quality. But I guess Mou will want to stay in England and wait for Man Utd job rather than Real right now. But it's a possibility for him.

Agreed, until Perez is at Real all shit is possible. 

Luiz is a good defender with right partaner around him, but yeah nowhere near 50m. But it was in euros not pounds...as media in England presented it. Still impressive. So yeah high and lows, but managers are not the only people involved in transfer, aren't they? Chelsea Emenalo, Granovskaia have the key say on transfer...just like in Man Utd Woodward and others. Mourinho is good at one thing. He can persuade any player basically and even the ones that hated or strongly disliked him before...Eto'o or Fabregas known cases.

Yeah, the amount a player is sold for is probably the transfer decision that a manager can take least credit for, in the modern game. Really, once he's said a player can go, the rest has little to do with him.

For reasons Mormont has mentioned, as well as a host of others, appointing Mourinho would be the worst possible choice of all the bigger names. I can only implore the board to not do that from my humble position here behind this keyboard.

I would also implore them to hold off on sacking LvG for a few more games at least. Not just the next two, though I would agree with Consigliere that if we lose both of those as well, he's likely gone. I don't think United wants to sack him, I think LvG knows this, and this is why he is so massively irrtated with the press because they are putting so much pressure on the club to sack him, it makes his relationship with his board strained. Which it already is because the team is playing like shit and has been since Ferguson left, and now he cannot even point at the results anymore.

To be clear, LvG's reign at the club has been something of a shocker to me, he's a man who's managerial career I have followed from the start and I had faith in him. But unless we're bringing in Pep to replace him, I think he should stay for a while. Mourinho would likely make matters worse, and the players would again be dealing with a massively belligerent figure.

Thing is, the players can make it impossible for the board to hold faith with him. And someone like Rooney should be deeply ashamed already. LvG put all his faith in him. He made him a captain, he got rid of his sole competitor for the captain and striker role in Robin van Persie, then again makes him the focal point of the offense this year, and he's done absolutely nothing right. He couldn't have been worse. 

P.S.

As pointed out by Polish, no, we do not need Giggs to take over. He's done nothing to suggest that that would be a good choice. I'd rather have Roy Keane if we're going with an inexperienced and controversial choice.

I don't think our defense will be any more of a liability than it was already. The weaknesses in our team are the same and a lot depends on whether the opposition is prepared for them. Leicester, West Ham, Palace and Watford are best suited to playing against us, while Newcastle and WBA and even Utd showed that approach will work against us even by teams with less power and speed on the counter.

The defence could certainly be worse, they could be starting Toure for crying out loud!

Apart from that, I think Liverpool will succeed or lose as a team - and I don't think Skrtel vs Lovren will do much to change single games. Lovren looked more comfortable after Klopp took over - though that may of course have been a temporary blip.

So how confident are Liverpool fans feeling for the next few games, considering your probable starting defence will consist of Lovren and Sakho?

Considering that our defense will be facing Vardy and Mahrez, I'd say not very confident.

So how confident are Liverpool fans feeling for the next few games, considering your probable starting defence will consist of Lovren and Sakho?

Since Liverpool is like Robin Hood. I fancy a draw, but Leicester will be well prepared. Next two games will be really crucial for Leicester if they really want to piush on for the title. Liverpool away and Man City at home. But in terms of defence. Lovren is decent after Klopp took over and Sakho should be able to perform. Skrtel is a big loss though.

Would RvP really have been considered a candidate for captain though? Isn't he generally regarded as a (very talented) massive tosser?

I believe he was in fact considered. LvG also had him as his captain of the Dutch side that finished 3rd in WC 2014.

Though having said, he was not a great captain from all accounts and after the tournament a new manager came in and Robben, who had been the captain in reality if not in name for years, was officially made Captain, and still is.

But apparently Rooney was keen for RvP to leave and remove that competition, as RvP had the name, age and reputation to displace him both as the striker and the captain. And so it was done.

I'm not saying Memphis didn't need to do better for that goal, but he obviously didn't intend to head it before the wind took it, can't blame him for the decision.

The second one was beastly.

LVG needs to change Carrick for Schneiderlin. We're getting dominated in the physical battle in midfield.

I bought up the match and was wondering why there was so many whistling and booing and remembered its Stoke fans at home.

Better than quiet crowd like at Chelsea or Arsenal. Can't blame them for booing Martial after that dive. Pathetic.

I'm not saying Memphis didn't need to do better for that goal, but he obviously didn't intend to head it before the wind took it, can't blame him for the decision.

The second one was beastly.

LVG needs to change Carrick for Schneiderlin. We're getting dominated in the physical battle in midfield.

It was his mistake. Simply put it away and be done with it... he tried to be too smart and it backfired on Man Utd. Man Utd just doesn't look cohesive enough...it's like 11 individuals. Much like with Chelsea. He probably rested Schneiderlin with Rooney for Chelsea or isn't he?

Archived