The Flash - Alleged Superhero

Dr. Pepper

I stopped watching Supergirl, but how likely is it that either Superman or Supergirl would be able to point out where Krypton was? Would they have anything to go by? I suppose Donner Superman could ask the FoS, do they have an equivalent on Supergirl? Also, how long did it take them to get to Earth? Presumably not 'many thousands of your years' like S:TM? Just wondering if Barry did indeed see Krypton blow up, is there an established time frame as to how long it'd take them/him/her to arrive. 

Superman possibly won't have tried to look up Krypton's former location in the night sky, since he has no memmory or attachment to the place. But I would think Supergirl would have wanted to look back at the constellation where she's from because she will have missed her home intensly.

Assuming space travel in the DC universe has at least achieved light speed, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get from Krypton to Earth. Because if Superman left Krypton not long before Krypton explodes, then by the time the light of the explosion reaches Earth for Barry to observe so will have Superman, as an infant. Travelling at the speed of light slows time, apparently if you were to circumnavigate the universe then when you arrive back at earth you would have only aged about 50 years, but Earth would have been destroyed and the Sun would be a white dwarf. So travelling at the speed of light from Krypton to Earth, which would probably be less than 100 ly would mean superbaby may only age a few months, assuming suspended animation doesn't cease all ageing processes. Hence if this scenario was to play out on Earth 1, Barry would be thinking that superbaby will be here now. The question would be, should Flash search him out and make sure he's being raised by people like the Kents from Earth 3, and not being raised by some crazy radicals, the mob, or a cult?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2016 at 11:05 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Superman possibly won't have tried to look up Krypton's former location in the night sky, since he has no memmory or attachment to the place. But I would think Supergirl would have wanted to look back at the constellation where she's from because she will have missed her home intensly.

Assuming space travel in the DC universe has at least achieved light speed, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get from Krypton to Earth. Because if Superman left Krypton not long before Krypton explodes, then by the time the light of the explosion reaches Earth for Barry to observe so will have Superman, as an infant. Travelling at the speed of light slows time, apparently if you were to circumnavigate the universe then when you arrive back at earth you would have only aged about 50 years, but Earth would have been destroyed and the Sun would be a white dwarf. So travelling at the speed of light from Krypton to Earth, which would probably be less than 100 ly would mean superbaby may only age a few months, assuming suspended animation doesn't cease all ageing processes. Hence if this scenario was to play out on Earth 1, Barry would be thinking that superbaby will be here now. The question would be, should Flash search him out and make sure he's being raised by people like the Kents from Earth 3, and not being raised by some crazy radicals, the mob, or a cult?

Great analysis. Something tells me the writers of Flash wouldn't give it anywhere near as much thought.

This week on The Flash: drugs are bad, m'kay?

Also so many bizarre ideas:

- Another supporting character gets conveniently written out of the show for flimsy reasons (not to mention that she doesn't even have basic things like personal documentation, nevermind any kind of support system outside of Team Flash).

- The big dramatic moment is Barry running fast enough to make the jump. Except we've long ago established he can run on water, the time he spent preparing was easily longer than what it would cost him to take a slight detour.

- Uh, Barry, I'm sure that display case is designed to be opened in some fashion. Or maybe you can just lift it up. In any case, you made a complete mess for literally no reason. Which, admittedly, is your entire MO in a nutshell, so maybe this was supposed to be some kind of self-aware metaphor. Yeah, right.

- What the fuck was up with the big scream there at the end? Is Barry also getting frustrated by the way the show keeps repeating plot points from the first season?

Yeah, it says a lot when the most stand out moment in this episode for me was when Barry made a mess of that glass case so soon after we saw Cisco slaving away cleaning up the other glass.  He could have used his speed to open up the glass case faster than it took him to break it.  Such a dick move.  

I also didn't get why Barry didn't just run on water.  He can run on water, up and down buildings.  Why did he need to jump and fly?

It is meaningful that they didn't let the Jay as Zoom plot point linger. It was addressed somewhat head on and in a somewhat logical manner.

I did think that Barry's run at the end was going to be a catalyst to next week's Supergirl crossover though...

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yeah, it says a lot when the most stand out moment in this episode for me was when Barry made a mess of that glass case so soon after we saw Cisco slaving away cleaning up the other glass.  He could have used his speed to open up the glass case faster than it took him to break it.  Such a dick move.

I bet Barry doesn't tend to do a whole lot of cleaning up at Start Labs.

23 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It is meaningful that they didn't let the Jay as Zoom plot point linger. It was addressed somewhat head on and in a somewhat logical manner.

It's a bit weird that they felt the need to give us the scene twice in two different episodes.

32 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

In what way?  The reveal? 

Yeah. We got two dramatic Jay reveals at the end of two consecutive episodes. It's just a strange writing decision.

I wonder if they added the first one very late, because they felt they needed some sort of big cliffhanger before the show went on break.

It is jay and it isn't Jay though right? I mean if Zoom and Jay are one and the same but just Zoom projecting himself as Jay then he wouldn't be carrying Jay's lifeless body. And we'll never know if jay actually knew he was Zoom / a Zoom clone. Zoom is probably cloning himself as a way of conducting experiments on himself to find the cure, hence Jay isn't actually Zoom.

18 hours ago, Jon AS said:

This week on The Flash: drugs are bad, m'kay?

Also so many bizarre ideas:

- Another supporting character gets conveniently written out of the show for flimsy reasons (not to mention that she doesn't even have basic things like personal documentation, nevermind any kind of support system outside of Team Flash).

- The big dramatic moment is Barry running fast enough to make the jump. Except we've long ago established he can run on water, the time he spent preparing was easily longer than what it would cost him to take a slight detour.

- Uh, Barry, I'm sure that display case is designed to be opened in some fashion. Or maybe you can just lift it up. In any case, you made a complete mess for literally no reason. Which, admittedly, is your entire MO in a nutshell, so maybe this was supposed to be some kind of self-aware metaphor. Yeah, right.

- What the fuck was up with the big scream there at the end? Is Barry also getting frustrated by the way the show keeps repeating plot points from the first season?

I'd add Wally asking Jesse "Do you come from far away?"  Wally must have super-sharp ears to detect the Earth-2 accent ('cause Jesse wasn't wearing her Princess Leia 'do that night); maybe that's partly why Jesse's meta-human detector watch kept going off (not just 'cause of Barry).

At least there was no pep talk when Barry finally made the jump. I get your point but they wanted to show Barry increasing his speed so I don't have a problem with it.

I'm sure Barry breaking the glass was just another instance of ham-fisted dramatics this show is prone to (Why just lift the glass when breaking it has more oomph? Why talk to his doppleganger who is aware of the Zoom situation when tasering him is funnier?  Why tell Patty the truth etc, etc…)

And yeah, I'd scream too if plot elements from season 1 are being repeated less effectively.

Anyway, despite all that, I did like this ep.  Considering how they've been cluelessly depicting Barry, I genuinely thought there was a chance he'd take the V-9 and have Joe make some encouraging speech as to how Barry did the right thing 'cause being a hero requires great sacrifices and all that, so there was a moment of real tension for me there.

Also, Jesse's dialogue with her father was surprisingly quite mature and more tolerable than Barry and Joe's of late, and at least they didn't sweep Wells' murder of the Turtle completely under the rug.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Barry and Iris talking about their wedding was super weird. Who does that‽

It's a super weird world they live in...but hey, at least they were going over it in context and not using it as a way for Barry to start mooning over Iris again. It was just a conversation for once. An odd one. But just a conversation. 

Clearly Barry feels constitutionally unable of having a romantic relationship with a mundane who actually knows he's the Flash. Barry largely stopped mooning over Iris once she knew his secret. As soon as Patty twigged to Barry's Flashness he started going cold on her, to the extent that even when he finally condescend to properly confirm who he is to her he simply turned his back and let her go.

Is this some sort of insecurity on the part of Barry? He feels like if his love interest knows who he is that they will really only be with him as a superhero groupie rather than actually be interest in Barry as a whole person. That and mummy abandonment issues. 

But of course with any mundane who doesn't know Barry's secret the relationship is completely doomed because there is just too much lying necessary to maintain the secret

This means the best thing for Barry to have a long term / life-long partner is to get with another super. Enter Supergirl and a great opportunity for a love triangle. Barry can be totally comfortable with Kara because there's no issue with her knowing Barry is the Flash, and Barry can never get into his head that Kara is a super groupie and that's the only reason she would be interested in him.

On a different topic Is V9+some lightening / plasma blast shenanigans likely to be how Wally gets his Flash on?

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Clearly Barry feels constitutionally unable of having a romantic relationship with a mundane who actually knows he's the Flash. Barry largely stopped mooning over Iris once she knew his secret. As soon as Patty twigged to Barry's Flashness he started going cold on her, to the extent that even when he finally condescend to properly confirm who he is to her he simply turned his back and let her go.

Which is weird, because Barry almost pathologically makes everything about himself. Notice how he couldn't even introduce Wally as Iris's brother, he has to try to awkwardly explain how he relates to him.

Daredevil season 2 is protecting me from this week's Flash. It doesn't look like I've missed much.

I'm curious about the Supergirl crossover. I wonder if Barry will spend most of the episode trying to destroy the life of his Supergirl-universe counterpart? He seems to get a kick out of that. Or he could track Iris down and try and get it on with her?

I suspect he'll get very upset if he doesn't exist in the supergirl world to the point of getting very angsty. How much do you bet the secret to him getting back home is Supergirl giving him a pep talk about how amazing he is and that all he has to do is believe he can run faster and that that will allow him to get back to his earth?

15 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I hate the way it always comes down to: Barry gritting his teeth and running slightly faster than he did in the previous episode.

You forgot the pep talk... Pep talk, gritting teeth and running faster.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Daredevil season 2 is protecting me from this week's Flash. It doesn't look like I've missed much.

If it only had more episodes, it would have also protected me too, but alas, I finished it just in time to ruin week with Flash :)

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's a super weird world they live in...but hey, at least they were going over it in context and not using it as a way for Barry to start mooning over Iris again. It was just a conversation for once. An odd one. But just a conversation. 

I feel as if Hawkgirl/Hawkman is in the air for these two - you know, destined to be together, like "Look, our Earth-II counterparts are together, our future selves are together, we should be together" kind of idiocy.

Archived