Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Fox of House McCloud said:

Hmm, interesting! I hadn't considered that the problem might stem from Dany and Drogo specifically, not just Dany being a Targaryen. 

On a semi-related note, would you happen to know if any of GRRM's other books (outside of Song/World) talk about the far reaches of Essos? It was all really fascinating in World, and I'd love to read anything else out there... although I suppose dome locations (such as Asshai) serve their purpose better the less we know of them. :P

It hit me when I was reading the WB.  I was thinking of putting together a list of still borns and monstrosities and cross referencing their lineage, ya know, for fun.  But I haven't gotten to it yet. 

Essos is mentioned in both The Rogue Prince and The Princess and the Queen.  I recommend www.asearchoficeandfire.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Where was it stated again that it had been Tywin's plan to lure Eddard into the riverlands, by having Gregor create chaos there?

Didn't Harwin say that to Arya early in Storm? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Didn't Harwin say that to Arya early in Storm? 

I thought it was the Tullys and the other riverlords he wanted to lure into a trap by spreading their forces thin so tywin could pick them off one by one, until Robb came down, the riverlords were all over the place trying to catch Gregor, though i might be wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Didn't Harwin say that to Arya early in Storm? 

Yes! Thank you! :)

“It was a trap, milady. Lord Tywin sent his Mountain across the Red Fork with fire and sword, hoping to draw your lord father. He planned for Lord Eddard to come west himself to deal with Gregor Clegane. If he had he would have been killed, or taken prisoner and traded for the Imp, who was your lady mother’s captive at the time. Only the Kingslayer never knew Lord Tywin’s plan, and when he heard about his brother’s capture he attacked your father in the streets of King’s Landing.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Manderlay said:

I thought it was the Tullys and the other riverlords he wanted to lure into a trap by spreading their forces thin so tywin could pick them off one by one, until Robb came down, the riverlords were all over the place trying to catch Gregor, though i might be wrong

That's true but RT was gettin' at something else. 

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:39 PM, Tysha's New Man said:

Has it ever been confirmed why Varys wanted Ned Stark to live and serve in the nights watch?

To prevent House Stark from calling its banners and razing the kingdoms with a secessionist army?  The north is as large as the rest of the kingdoms, combined.  A natural defense with the Neck and Moat Calin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, anything we see or hear watching the show is off limits in this forum, and rightly so. 

But when you watch HBO GOT on demand, you get little discussions with the producers at the end. Occasionally, they discus what George Martin has told them about ASOIAF. 

Aren't those little tidbits like SSMs? A lot of SSMs upon which we rely are reports of fans that have asked George Martin a question. So, what's the difference whether the report about the story being told in the books comes from the producers of HBO GOT or fans of ASOIAF? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Obviously, anything we see or hear watching the show is off limits in this forum, and rightly so. 

But when you watch HBO GOT on demand, you get little discussions with the producers at the end. Occasionally, they discus what George Martin has told them about ASOIAF. 

Aren't those little tidbits like SSMs? A lot of SSMs upon which we rely are reports of fans that have asked George Martin a question. So, what's the difference whether the report about the story being told in the books comes from the producers of HBO GOT or fans of ASOIAF? 

Well, the difference is that Martin very rarely gives future plot points away in interviews and chats with fans. I would also like some clarification on this though. I'd say at least spoiler tag that kinda stuff, since it's essentially info from unreleased books. 

Maybe if I do this @Ran thingy he'll get the notification and stop by to let us know what the policy is. 

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Well, the difference is that Martin very rarely gives future plot points away in interviews and chats with fans. I would also like some clarification on this though. I'd say at least spoiler tag that kinda stuff, since it's essentially info from unreleased books. 

Maybe if I do this @Ran thingy he'll get the notification and stop by to let us know what the policy is. 

I'm hoping we get some clarification as well. I think the time has come for a seperate book forum where we can discuss show spoilers and how they affect the books. A simple solution would be to rename the ADwD forum to "General (ASoIaF) including Show Spoilers" or something like that. I mean, that book has been out for nearly 5 years. Does it really need its own forum? Plus there is already ADwD section in the 'Still Reading' subforum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm hoping we get some clarification as well. I think the time has come for a seperate book forum where we can discuss show spoilers and how they affect the books. A simple solution would be to rename the ADwD forum to "General (ASoIaF) including Show Spoilers" or something like that. I mean, that book has been out for nearly 5 years. Does it really need its own forum? Plus there is already ADwD section in the 'Still Reading' subforum.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify, I am not talking about what we see in the show, but what D&D tell us that Martin told them about his books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aegon the Conqueror named Lord Tyrell Lord Paramount of the Mander (or Lord Paramount of the Reach), but this title isn't mentioned in the main series at all. Mace instead bears the titles Defender of the Marches and High Marshal of the Reach. So did the original title change at some point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Aegon the Conqueror named Lord Tyrell Lord Paramount of the Mander (or Lord Paramount of the Reach), but this title isn't mentioned in the main series at all. Mace instead bears the titles Defender of the Marches and High Marshal of the Reach. So did the original title change at some point?

If I remember right the only times "Lord Paramount" appears in the main series is when referring to Baelish. Even in the appendices. So I doubt the title has changed. People just seem to prefer to style themselves differently. Like everyone talks about the Warden of the North but never the Lord Paramount of the North.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

If I remember right the only times "Lord Paramount" appears in the main series is when referring to Baelish. Even in the appendices. So I doubt the title has changed. People just seem to prefer to style themselves differently. Like everyone talks about the Warden of the North but never the Lord Paramount of the North.

It could be that Aegon only applied LP to the new rulers after the Conquest (Tullys succeeding Hoares, Baratheons succeeding Durrandons, Tyrells succeeding Gardeners). Regarding the Greyjoys, TWOIAF states, "Gathering the remaining lords of the Iron Islands together, [Aegon] announced that he would allow them to choose their own lord paramount." LP isn't capitalized here, and their non-royal leaders are always referred to as "Lord of the Iron Islands" in the novels and TWOIAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Varys ever mention that his little birds have limited access to Maegor's Holdfast or to the Tower of the Hand?

I am trying to think of how he planned with Lysa to poison Jon without anyone (namely Varys) finding out.

Or did Varys know and not care/act.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Does Varys ever mention that his little birds have limited access to Maegor's Holdfast or to the Tower of the Hand?

I am trying to think of how he planned with Lysa to poison Jon without anyone (namely Varys) finding out.

Or did Varys know and not care/act.?

Perhaps they spoke about it on the years between Maegor's Holdfast and the Tower of the Hand, or the godswood, or the drawbridge over the dry moat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2016 at 0:33 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Obviously, anything we see or hear watching the show is off limits in this forum, and rightly so. 

But when you watch HBO GOT on demand, you get little discussions with the producers at the end. Occasionally, they discus what George Martin has told them about ASOIAF. 

Aren't those little tidbits like SSMs? A lot of SSMs upon which we rely are reports of fans that have asked George Martin a question. So, what's the difference whether the report about the story being told in the books comes from the producers of HBO GOT or fans of ASOIAF? 

That'll be the fellas that spent 6 months promising us Jon Snow was dead, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×