MLB 2016: Chia Pet Un-Safe Zone

Ramsay B.

already i have heard espn wax poetically about an indians v cubs world series. 

and already i have puked in my own mouth. yes, they have both sucked for near an eternity. how is that my problem? why should i care? are they both somehow deserving of a championship because of what utter failure they have embodied? sports need not be a feel good movie of underdogs and davids taking down goliath. 

if either team makes it and wins good on them. but, please let's stop the media for trying to make some sort of hero story out of it. it makes me sick. 

43 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

and already i have puked in my own mouth. yes, they have both sucked for near an eternity. how is that my problem? why should i care? are they both somehow deserving of a championship because of what utter failure they have embodied? sports need not be a feel good movie of underdogs and davids taking down goliath. 

if either team makes it and wins good on them. but, please let's stop the media for trying to make some sort of hero story out of it. it makes me sick. 

Preach it. Couldn't care less about "long suffering" fan bases and how their teams deserve to win. Boo f'ing hoo.

51 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

I agree with that to a point. I hate the implied "they deserve it" narrative. No one 'deserves" anything in competitive sport. You either earn it or you don't. Maybe the one exception to that is a horrible call (or set of calls) that costs a team a championship or what smells like a fixed boxing match.

That said, I do feel for the fanbases of long suffering franchises. If the Cubbies or the Tribe is playing a franchise in the World Series that has won it relatively recently, chances are I will pull for them.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I agree with that to a point. I hate the implied "they deserve it" narrative. No one 'deserves" anything in competitive sport. You either earn it or you don't. Maybe the one exception to that is a horrible call (or set of calls) that costs a team a championship or what smells like a fixed boxing match.

That said, I do feel for the fanbases of long suffering franchises. If the Cubbies or the Tribe is playing a franchise in the World Series that has won it relatively recently, chances are I will pull for them.

good. you have finally given up pulling for the giants. goodness knows that pack of assholes has won enough recent world series.

Just now, MercifulChief said:

good. you have finally given up pulling for the giants. goodness knows that pack of assholes has won enough recent world series.

With the obvious exception of rooting against my team, of course. If the NLCS is Giants vs Cubs, the Cubs can go fuck themselves. 

Kazmir pitching well, great outing from newly acquired Bud Norris, McCarthy making a triumphant return, and Dear Leader coming back soon; things are looking up. Sure Kersh is on the DL, but that's just because he wanted to give the rest of the league a break in the spirit of fairness. And when we pick up Sonny Gray at the deadline it'll be game over for the rest of you chumps. 

17 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Man, the Cubs have been to the post season 4 times since the turn of the century, they have been to 8% of all World Series (sure everyone who saw the last one is dead or probably doesn't remember it, but still), which is pretty good considering 49% of all World Series featured a team from New York. Also, as a Mariners fan, I'm pretty sure I'm legally required to hate the Indians for ruining our Cinderella story in 1995. Also for a certain comeback victory in I believe 2001.

Man, main reason people give a shit is because they're an old east coast team (I mean, it is a good underdog story, but still), M's haven't even made it to the World Series in 39 years. Sure it's not on the same scale, but they're another team that has been almost defying the laws of probability by being so bad so often.

Alright! Finally a legitimate reason to dislike the Cubs...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/internet-reacts-to-entire-cubs-infield-starting-2016-mlb-all-star-game-070516?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

/Outside of being a Cards fan, of course. But they're so classy about it it almost doesn't count. 

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series and end their 108 year drought!"

"What's that? No? I'm being told this was the All-Star game. Oh."

"The Chicago Cubs have won the All-Star game and ended their 108 year drought!"

"No? I'm being told that the National League won the All-Star game, and that the Cubs..no sorry, the National League has home field advantage in the World Series this year!"

<extreme closeup,sighing, tearing up>

"Sorry Cubs fans, we're just going to have to wait some more."

<fade to black>

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, I din't recognize you with the new face and name. Why the change? 

Temporary soccer thing...I'm back...

And I sit oan island alone on this forum, but three of the four Cubs infielders certainly belong on the team, and Russell has tried to improve his case a little in recent days. Fowler deserved the spot until he got hurt.

That being said, I actually hate fan voting.  It's so freaking dumb.  If you want the All Star game to impact the WS, then let the managers of the teams pick the best teams they can. Fans are, for the most part, drooling morons (most folks here, even you damned west coasters, excepted).

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series and end their 108 year drought!"

"What's that? No? I'm being told this was the All-Star game. Oh."

"The Chicago Cubs have won the All-Star game and ended their 108 year drought!"

"No? I'm being told that the National League won the All-Star game, and that the Cubs..no sorry, the National League has home field advantage in the World Series this year!"

<extreme closeup,sighing, tearing up>

"Sorry Cubs fans, we're just going to have to wait some more."

<fade to black>

:lmao:

"Wait a minute, Troy. It looks like Joe Maddon is going to challenge that this IS the World Series and NOT the all star game. We're going to bring in Fox sports rules analyst Mike Pereira for an explanation."

Archived