Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

Think this is my first post here (could have sworn I had an account at some point) and as an Abercrombie fan decided to call myself after an underappreciated character of his.  

Vaughan is exactly who I thought would have been a good pick for directing.

Really like the choice of Cunningham for Bayaz.  Although I believe he did play an unsympathetic/unlikable character in Dog Soldiers, he'd definitely be playing against type and would make for a deceptively nice Bayaz.

I've always thought of Ian McShane as the older Black Dow and Ralph Inesen as the younger one.

Because of his habit over the past several years of playing witty characters with a marked seedy side who have fallen on bad times, I see Patrick Stewart as Cosca.  I've also seen him suggested for Bayaz, and he'd probably make for an effective/chilling Bayaz.

Regarding Robert Carlyle, I've mentally cast him as Shenkt, or barring him, Brendan Coyle, because they're both good at playing someone who can believably go from warm and kindly to ultraviolent and back again.

Logen.... I am thinking Kurt Russell, if he were younger, Kris Kristofferson, if he were younger, maybe even Jeff Bridges, or Sam Shepard... if they'd been younger.

So someone in that vein, of an age with the character.

On 12/20/2016 at 1:10 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

If you ugly him up a little bit I could see Anson Mount as Logen.

On 12/21/2016 at 11:04 AM, Brother Longfoot said:

Ralph Inesen as the younger [Black Dow].

Regarding Robert Carlyle, I've mentally cast him as Shenkt

Never thought of these, I like it.

I guess nobody who's actually ugly is ever gonna get cast, because Hollywood (Some people will say Steve Buscemi but I don't think he's ugly really). I could see Ray Stevenson as Logen (first suggestion I've liked for him actually) but yeah, I think he's too old unfortunately. He could play Lamb when they get to Red Country maybe :P 

Of course they could always just decide to make Logen older for the show, which I would have no problem with. Doesn't make a difference either way I don't think. Except you end up with the old man, younger woman thing with Logen & Ferro and I think we're all tired of that right? I sure am. 

I wonder how they're going to deal with Three Trees, Tul Duru & The Feared. With each one of them being described as more humongous than the last. There's only so many Icelandic strong-men to choose from. 

I dunno about putting someone who's so central to GoT into another big fantasy series (Yeah, Ned Stark wasn't Boromir or anything >.>) but I could see McCann as Tul. Funny you should mention Ron Perlman, I was just thinking he's got the right look for a Northman when I was writing my last post. He might be a little too hammy for Three Trees though. 

Speaking of GOT actors:

Hafthor Bjornsson as The Feared

Kristofer Hivju as Whirrun of Bligh

Gwendoline Christie as Javre

Also, as a fan of Poldark:

Jack Farthing as Jezal

Eleanor Tomlinson as Vitari

I have a really hard time casting Glokta.  I vaguely thought of Ben Miles or Rufus Sewell under a lot of uglifying makeup and prosthetics.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Is Ray Stevenson too old? Although he's not very "ugly", granted.

I don't think Stevenson would be too old. Although Logan is in his mid-thirties in TBI, an older actor would be perfectly fine to play him as I've always pictured Logan looking a fair bit older than his age due to the harsh life he's led.

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Speaking of actors from shows/movies that take things I love and destroy them, what do we think of Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Black Dow?

He could pull that off, but I slightly prefer the mentions of Tom Hardy and Manu Bennett for him.

Stevenson could do Logen, don't think he's necessarily too old. He's got the size.

Threetrees I'd be looking at someone older, not sure about size but I would think taller than average but shorter than Logen.

So someone like Anson Mount could play him as well, but it's probably here where I'd go for Russell or Sam Shepard.

Dogman is a blank canvas for me in terms of look.

Dogman's an interesting character to cast. IIRC he's described as lean and sharp-faced when West meets him, but his overall vibe is harder to nail down, because so much of what we see of him is from inside his own head. There's not a great deal of narration describing how other characters view him & react to him.

One possibility is Zach McGowan of Black Sails. He's basically playing Pirate Black Dow on that show, but he has the sort of striking, sharp features that I picture , and does a lot of great character work with eyes & motion. And he also has good comic timing, an underrated necessity for anyone playing Dogman. (He'd also make a fine Dow, of course.)

There's some other good casting possibilities on that show too. Luke Arnold (John Silver) is an easy sell for Calder, and Mark Ryan (Gates) is a dark horse Bayaz. One actor I'd love to see in a major role is Tadhg Murphy, who played Ned Low and also appeared on Vikings as Arne. He's kind of a tough one to cast, though, because...well, there's a reason he plays all those one-eyed characters. He probably doesn't have the right physical presence for Shivers (plus there's the whole pre-maiming thing), but I'm sure there's another notable one-eyed Abercrombie character I'm missing.

McShane was too old to play Cosca when he was on Deadwood over a decade ago. 

Most of these suggestions are too old.  I also think we're reading too much into the size thing.  Logen and Threetrees should be big men, but hardly 6-6 giants or anything.  Most actors given a few months could put on the bulk necessary to do the part justice. 

The only characters that need to be truly huge are Tul Duru and Fenris (and Stranger-Come-Knocking if we do Heroes).  Those are both comparatively minor characters so getting a great actor is less important. 

Archived