The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

His most recent blog post that mentions Winds is from yesterday.  That seems like news to me. 

That's not a blog post. That's a comment on a blog post. There's a small, but significant, difference: comments aren't announcements. They're off-hand and spontaneous, and need to be treated as such.

8 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Thanks for the link. For someone who claims to have cleared his schedule of pretty much everything non-ASOIAF about 2 years ago according to other blog posts from him, his schedule sure seems pretty full.

That isn't his schedule. It's a list of past collaborations, operative word being 'past'. The only two current ones are editing projects, and only one of those is active, and we already discussed that. Accordingly, it is not news.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:48 PM, Werthead said:

George made it abundantly clear that he does not want to talk about WINDS until there is something concrete to report. He has said that a 2017 release is possible, which is encouraging, but not certain, which is less so.

As we've said many (thousands) of times before, taking GRRM's statements and running them through mystical translations and applying tea leaves to the situation is not very helpful and, by precedent, frequently wrong. In January 2011 people were crying that the book would never be done and George's statements were negative and he was talking too much about Wild Cards and he'd sold out to the TV company and the book was out six months later.

@Werthead To be fair, George wasn't pulling peoples' legs in January 2011. He was still writing Dance, and he thought he had a long ways to go. Namely, GRRM still had two major sequences that were unfinished and set to close out ADWD -- Battle of Winterfell + Battle of Meereen and both sequences were far from being finished. From my reading of what transpired between George and his publisher, they told George to wrap it up in short order. George cut one sequence (Probably the Battle of Winterfell as there were fewer completed chapters), and Anne Groell told George to cut another sequences (The Battle of Meereen), and GRRM did .

Back in 2011, Anne said:

Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. - Anne Groell, Suvudu Interview, 7/7/2011

So, back in January 2011, GRRM probably thought he had another year or so of writing ahead of him. Looking back at it now, I wish that George had spent another year writing the battles instead of cutting the story off where he did.

[mod] Since there seems to be some debate, let's clarify a point or two.

This particular thread is a resource thread. It's intended for posting information about TWOW, as the OP makes clear. Speculation is not information.

In general, we discuss news about TWOW if and when there is news. When there isn't, we don't. If there's no news, there's nothing to discuss. Speculation isn't news, either.

If anyone has questions or comments about the moderation policies on the board, they are asked to direct these to the moderators privately.

Thanks. [/mod]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

Here are some small "updates" regarding winds from his notablog. 

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

He states that he is still working. What I found interesting, is that he broke his word, when he stated back in that infamous blog statement, that he won't be involved in any other project before winds is done. 

Yep. I find that really disconcerting. He even cut back his involvement with GoT on TV so as not to go back on his word of not getting involved with other projects until Winds was done. Now between all the projects not related to ASOIAF and all the sub-story projects of the ASOIAF universe, it sounds like he is primarily working on everything but TWOW.

And that is completely fine. They are his works and his life. 

But I don't like being lied to.

43 minutes ago, Whitering said:

I particularly enjoy how his clarification, that, no I am working with all 4 writers, makes it worse heh

Yeah, he says he is working with them and emailing, calling and texting them. But then he says he wishes he could clone himself clearly inferring he cannot work on everything and proceeds to say he is working on the TWOW in large, bold letters. That to me seemed like he was trying to convince himself rather than his fans. His own Daily Affirmation.

5 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Yep. I find that really disconcerting. He even cut back his involvement with GoT on TV so as not to go back on his word of not getting involved with other projects until Winds was done. Now between all the projects not related to ASOIAF and all the sub-story projects of the ASOIAF universe, it sounds like he is primarily working on everything but TWOW.

This is the worst. I don't understand it. He could have written a couple of episodes (a couple of months of work) for season 7 or season 8, at least one for s8 since it's the ending of his story.

I don't understand why lots of Wildcard books come first than Winds.

I'd like to think that it's because it's done, bu it isn't.

5 hours ago, SuperMario said:

George is brainstorming concepts and throwing ideas around. He is working with his producer's hat on. Right now, to our knowledge, he isn't actually writing or co-writing the scripts, which is what he promised to stop doing for GoT.

I don't understand why lots of Wildcard books come first than Winds.

Because 1) the time investment in creating a Wild Cards book is trivial compared to the time investment of writing the novel (and both can proceed simultaneously, as they have done for 20+ years), due to 2) the Wild Cards books being written by a team of other people with someone else (Melinda Snodgrass) doing a lot of the editing work.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Because 1) the time investment in creating a Wild Cards book is trivial compared to the time investment of writing the novel (and both can proceed simultaneously, as they have done for 20+ years), due to 2) the Wild Cards books being written by a team of other people with someone else (Melinda Snodgrass) doing a lot of the editing work.

It's not just one book, and it takes time. And he said Winds would be the priority.

4 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It's not just one book, and it takes time. And he said Winds would be the priority.

But being the priority isn't the same as being the only thing, right? I haven't read anything that suggests to me that Winds is no longer a priority, only that it isn't his only project. And that's exactly what I expected. :dunno:

Some people work better when involved in more than one project, others do not. And my impression is that Martin is in the former group. 

[MOD]

In accordance with board policy, that's enough speculation about the release date for TWoW, please.

As is always the case, this topic ends in tears, suspensions and or other sanctions.

Further attempts to discuss this issue will be swiftly dealt with.

[/MOD]

• 2 weeks later...

For those curious, I completed a large update of the post 

Here are the updates:

Writing Progress updates since July 2016:

• GRRM has no announcement to make on The Winds of Winter by August 2016
  • GRRM won’t talk about his progress until the writing is done
  • GRRM is “back to work” in September 2016 after spending most of August at conventions, meetings in LA and with house guests/visitors.
  • The Winds of Winter is not being cancelled. – GRRM, notablog comment, “Signed Books at the JCC” 10/15/2016
  • The Manuscript for Winds hasn’t been lost. – GRRM, notablog comment, “Now On Sale, 10/21/2016
  • GRRM’s appearance schedule for 2017 will be very limited and will remain so until Winds is completed. – GRRM notablog, “South of the Border”, 11/28/2016
  • GRRM doesn’t want to do a tell-all update on The Winds of Winter, but he’s working on the book. – GRRM, notablog comment, “End of the Season” – 1/7/2017
  • GRRM states that TWOW is not done. He made progress in 2016 but not as much as he would have liked. He thinks that TWOW will be released in 2017.

Not done yet, but I’ve made progress. But not as much as I hoped a year ago, when I thought to be done by now.I think it will be out this year. (But hey, I thought the same thing last year). – GRRM Comment, notablog, Doom Despair, Defeat, 1/10/2017

• GRRM doesn’t think Winds will take four more years to complete. – GRRM, notablog comment, “Tor Launches Wild Cards Re-Read”, 2/25/2017

• GRRM will announce completion and delivery of Winds months before the book publishes. – GRRM, notablog, “It’s Publication Day”, 2/28/2017

• GRRM still working on Winds but seemingly struggling, saying “So much to do. And the days go by so quickly. I love my work, all my work, all my projects, all my children, but sometimes it seems as if the harder I work, the further I get behind.” – GRRM, notablog, “March Madness”, 3/18/2017

• GRRM does not have writer’s block though. – GRRM, notablog comment, “March Madness”, 3/19/2017

• GRRM won’t comment on rumors of Winds and Game of Thrones, Season 7 – GRRM, notablog comment, “More Cool Wild Cards Stuff”, 4/7/2017

New Confirmed Unreleased TWOW Chapters

• Cersei Lannister
  • Asha Greyjoy
  • Melisandre of Asshai

Plot-Points Confirmed by GRRM

• At Balticon, GRRM mentioned that Arya would get her first period soon and that he would visit Arya/Gendry again.

My friend asked him about Gendry and Arya meeting back up and when will Arya get her moonblood to which GRRM answered “soon”… and GRRM had an interesting response to Arya and Gendry meeting back up. I will let her tell you the answer. But I do know he said of Arya and Gendry that, “I’ll visit them again.” – So Spake Martin, 5/29/2016

• In December 2016, when asked about “The Forsaken”, GRRM reported that there were a lot of dark chapters in TWOW:

“Yeah, that is a dark chapter. But there are a lot of dark chapters right now in the book that I’m writing. It is called The Winds of Winter, and I’ve been telling you for 20 years that winter was coming. Winter is the time when things die, and cold and ice and darkness fills the world, so this is not gonna be the happy feel-good that people may be hoping for. Some of the characters [are] in very dark places…In any story, the classic structure is, ‘Things get worse before they get better,’ so things are getting worse for a lot of people.”

• We will learn more about the Order of the Green Hand in future books.
  • GRRM has no comment about whether Daenerys or Tyrion will retire as POV characters once they meet.
  • Characters dead in the show but alive in the books have parts to play in The Winds of Winter:

If they are alive in the books, they are alive in the books, and may well turn up again. Irri (and Jhiqui) is still serving as Dany’s handmaid, Rakharo remains one of her bloodriders, Mago will definitely show up again. You will learn the fate of Pyat Pree in WINDS. The Thirteen are still one of the factions contending for power in Qarth. You may see more of Alayaya and Chataya as well, and you will definitely hear more of Jeyne Westerling.

• GRRM is not done with Salladhor Saan.

Miscellaneous TWOW Information

• As of November 2016, GRRM indicates there won’t be more Dunk and Egg stories until Winds is done.
  • GRRM does not believe that the Arianne II sample chapter should be considered for a Hugo award.
  • GRRM might do an AMA on reddit after Winds is complete.
  • The Deep Ones won’t be rising to trouble the people of Westeros in Winds.
  • GRRM won’t be editing new anthologies until he finishes Winds.
  • As of February 2017, GRRM probably won’t release or read brand new sample chapters from The Winds of Winter.
  • GRRM won’t be doing interview on ASOIAF until Winds is completed.
  • GRRM discovers plot holes that require rewriting chapters “all the time.”

As always, this resource has been manifestly improved by everyone who have sent me more information either by comments here, on twitter or elsewhere. Thank you to all of you, and if you know of something, say something! (Or just drop a comment here if you have some info that I don't have in the resource). Thanks again!

Thank YOU BryndenBFish :D This new update is so interesting; there's some stuff I didn't know yet. 

I'm glad Cersei and Asha are coming back as POVs! 
I don't really care for Gendry, but we'll see what happens there.
I'm a huge fan of Wyman Manderly, so I can't wait to read more about the Order of the Green Hand. 
I wonder what kind of significance Arya's first period will have.

I'm even more excited now. 

That's a great update.

In terms of 'news' I would assume that at some point this year, the lack of an announcement by GRRM, if that's how things go, by some time in the late Summer/early Fall would/should qualify as news, because lack of an announcement by I would guess August or September would mean that Winds won't be released in 2017, and that seems like it would be news.  

Well, I believe we are too late if he announces when he's sent the book to editors to have it out this year, as this is going to be a large book and require some amount of time to edit. So, next year maybe, not as depressing to me as Cyberpunk likely getting bumped to 2019.

Archived