GoT and Emmys 2016

lakin1013

37 minutes ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I'm most sad that Nikolaj got snubbed.  Freaking amazing acting by him in ep 7-8, and some great moments both earlier and later. too  I love him and I really hope he gets at least a nom next season.  Certainly his arc will be dramatic, whatever happens.  Sophie was great too but again I think next season is when the LF stuff comes to a head and she'll have her biggest moments yet. 

As for other awards sad Ramin didn't get a nom - this was the first season I actually stood up and took notice with his music.  

THIS! What's with snubbing Nikolaj? He's one of the best actors on the show. Liam Cunningham is great, too. I would have nominated both over Dinklage this season.  

On 7/17/2016 at 6:56 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

as much as Cersei is on the screen, they should have submitted her for lead actress in a drama. That would have cleared up room for Sophie, potentially, on the best supporting actress ballot

No way, Lena Headey's 10 minutes an episode can compete in lead actress category with other lead  actresses who are in like 40 minutes of an episode. Besides, I thought Sophie was rather mediocre this season. I can see why she did not get an emmy nom.

2 hours ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Arya's plot this season, was a hot mess, however.  First 5 episodes, boring as F.  Next 3, almost incomprehensible.  Then in the last episode she commits three serial killer-esque murders halfway around the world.  So the fact she got nominated for this has really just got to be the buzz the show has.  I do think she does fine with what she's given but lord...

But they are not handing out acting emmy noms for story lines! I feel that Maisie deserves that nom just because she did the most with shitty writing. Sure Arya's plot was boring. So was Cersei's till the very end. I feel both actresses did a great job though. Same goes for Dinklage. They did not give him much to work with, but what he did was great as usual. Emilia and Peter both delivered in their scenes together.

Meh I'm so torn on how I feel about the Emmy's. On one hand, I was shocked at how inept D & D were at fully taking over story telling duties after passing the book. For two guys that have done such a brilliantly creative job through 5 seasons, I just don't get it. I'm not sure if they deserve Emmy's for this season, though I'm not familiar with any of the other shows that are competing.

On the other hand, the show was special to me for the first 5 seasons. Really was obsessed it and it's been a big inspiration to me to pursue a career in TV writing. Also, I felt like it should've won over Breaking Bad in the earlier seasons.

So in the end, I'll still be rooting for the show, though I am still coping with the monumental disappointment that was season 6.

11 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

It does not matter if she is the foremost character and/or since Season 4.  She just does not have the screentime to be considered as a lead actress.  No matter how good if the next person has so much more screentime and material to handle.

It is the biggest drawback of having such a sprawling cast and story.  There really is just not enough time.

Lord Lyman is very right that the screentime is very limited in comparison to other shows.

I think this will be GOT last hurrah in getting a possible big Emmy haul.  With S7 starting in Summer will mean they will be ineligible for next year awards and when eligible again they will not have the advantage of the buzz so near the nomination announcement. 

So, is there a required amount of screen time to meet the technical criteria to be considered a "lead actress" or "lead actor"? I am asking as I do not know they if there is.

8 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

So, is there a required amount of screen time to meet the technical criteria to be considered a "lead actress" or "lead actor"? I am asking as I do not know they if there is.

I do not know if there is a hard rule. I do think as a rule of thumb the actor will be in more then half the show for the year to have serious consideration.

Lena maybe had 10 minutes or less an episode ane it will be against another actress's 40 minutes an episode.  No matter how stellar Lena's performance is the amount of material is too small to be considered as a lead actress. 

On 7/17/2016 at 4:37 PM, lakin1013 said:

These are the shows nominated for Outstanding Drama:

Virginia Sherwood/USA Network

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

Should Game of Thrones win it this year?  If not, then who?

Don't like Downton Abbey on principle. Homeland is long dead to me. House of Cards is okay.

GoT was pretty poor this year in my opinion.

I haven't seen The Americans.

Better Call Saul does character-driven drama better than any of the others I've seen but it somewhat lacks the clout to compete, sadly.

Mr Robot was very good and would be my choice. Rami Malek must win the lead actor award.

I possibly liked season 2 of Fargo more but that is in the limited series category.

3 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I don't think there is a defined amount of time. Typically though, the leads play the most prominent role in the series, which are usually then given the bulk of the screen time. Think Michael C. Hall in Dexter or Hugh Laurie in House. They were unquestionable leads and everyone else was supporting. Game of Thrones isn't like that.

I am surprised that some people who complain about GoT, admires Mr. Robot. It is very predictable and cliched. I could practically predict the whole season from watching the pilot. It just seems like a show that is trying way to hard to be artistic and interesting.  

I'm glad that Maisie got the nom, despite how crappy Arya's story was this season. She has always been a gr8 actress. I'm puzzled by Emilia got a nomination, but what's new. 

Also: Lol'ing at the ppl mad across the web that Sophie didn't get a nom. We never get anything impressive from her, no, not even this season. 

1 hour ago, Boudica said:

I am surprised that some people who complain about GoT, admires Mr. Robot. It is very predictable and cliched. I could practically predict the whole season from watching the pilot. It just seems like a show that is trying way to hard to be artistic and interesting.  

I agree with you here. I stopped after a couple of episodes. All the commentary on materialism seems like something a stoner philosophy major in college would dream up. It's just not that interesting to me.

I think everyone realises that all awards ceremonies are essentially about who you know and about trying to promote the awards themselves. Doubt anyone truly thinks it's based on merit, and they are naive if they do! 

As for Game of thrones, it wins because it's popular and there are numerous reasons why it wins each time.

there are much better shows out there, but aren't that popular. Leftovers and Fargo are both more deserving but wouldn't make the headlines were they to win, and not so many people watched them 

I never will be able to understand the fact Harrington got a nomination and Alfie didn't. Alfie is just amazing while Kit did not really convince me. And I also believe Dinklage is phoning it the last seasons. 

7 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The actor at least must have screen time in each episode to even being balloted as lead. Black Sails had that issue with Hannah New - she was absent in the finale of S2, and therefore barred from being balloted. They made sure in S3 that the actress had at least an extensive scene in the finale, despite being at a different location of the big finale battle. I don't even think Lena had a scene in each episode for S6, so she can only be balloted by GOT as supporting actress, and therefore solely nominated for supporting role. The same goes for any other actor on the show. None of them appear in each and every episode (except perhaps Kit, but without lines for the first 2 episodes).

As far as the main category, GOT generally got rave reviews from critics this season. Not amongst hardcores, but generally speaking this was arguably it's most critically and commercially acclaimed season. The Americans is it's only competition imo. Especially since I think Season 5 was the weakest season of the show and it managed to win, I don't think the quality of the competition sufficiently raised enough to overtake a better season of the show.

As for actors awards, I would love to see Lena win. She's been one of the stalwarts of the show since the beginning and has been truly underappreciated. She handled her characters transition from a secondary character in the first season to arguably the equal of Emilia and Kit in her respective storylines. Unforunatly, do the nature of the show, she doesn't have the screentime to compete with other lead actresses.

Dinklage got a reputation nod. He killed every scene he was in, but he was handcuffed.

Maisie got to show her range this season. That's not an easy arc for a young actor, but Maisie's been nothing but great. Her storyline was repetitive. However, her acting was impressive.

Kit's a hard one for me. Nothing wrong with him. He's probably at his best this season. He's a bit too much of a white meat good guy. Not much complexity there. I guess maybe the first few episodes after he came back to life were about as deep as he's ever been. Jon's always been a bit of a character who's a little too much in his own head to come off as good on screen though.

Shout out to whoever mentioned NCW. The guy consistently kills it. It took him getting to the Riverlands, but that one scene with Edmure was enough for an emmy reel imo. I didn't see any better from Dinklage or Harrington to see why he got snubbed. Sophie also has hit a stride and it amazes me that somehow Clarke got in over her. The only thing I will say is that sometimes she is inconsistent in her delivery. She hits a bit of cheesiness sometime. But otherwise she's pretty great.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, lakin1013 said:

These are the shows nominated for Outstanding Drama:

Virginia Sherwood/USA Network

The Americans (FX)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

House of Cards (Netflix)

Downton Abbey (PBS)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

Mr. Robot (USA)

Homeland (Showtime)

Should Game of Thrones win it this year?  If not, then who?

The Americans, without a doubt.

17 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I think Jonathan Pryce was a better guest actor than Max von Sydow.  Maybe not so much this season, but his work in season 5 was really good.  Max von Sydow was just a dude in a tree.

Even when Jonathan Pryce was spouting nonsense (most eps this season), he was amazing. ;)

2 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

I'm glad that Maisie got the nom, despite how crappy Arya's story was this season. She has always been a gr8 actress. I'm puzzled by Emilia got a nomination, but what's new. 

Also: Lol'ing at the ppl mad across the web that Sophie didn't get a nom. We never get anything impressive from her, no, not even this season. 

:agree:

58 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I never will be able to understand the fact Harrington got a nomination and Alfie didn't. Alfie is just amazing while Kit did not really convince me. And I also believe Dinklage is phoning it the last seasons. 

Alfie? The guy playing Theon? I would say season 3 was his strongest performance. Season 6 he just did not have enough scenes but the one with Sansa (telling her goodbye and that he would have gone to the end ) was truly great; he owned it.

Kit while not being a good actor definitely was able to change the way Jon was acting this season. For that, I'll give him the nomination; he clearly does not act like he did when we first were introduced to him.

5 hours ago, Tijgy said:

If D & D had stuck to Theon's actual story in Winterfell from the books in Season 5, instead of making it all about Sansa, then this would have been the time he could have been nominated. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:18 PM, Rubicante said:

I think Jonathan Pryce was a better guest actor than Max von Sydow.  Maybe not so much this season, but his work in season 5 was really good.  Max von Sydow was just a dude in a tree.

Pryce would have been ineligible for the guest actor nod this year. The one hard requirement for that category is that the actor/actress must appear in 50% or less episodes for the given season. Pryce was in  7 episodes for season 6. Also he had a main cast billing this year.

Regarding acting time requirements - Peter McNicoll  just had his emmy nom for VEEP pulled because he appeared in too many episodes to be considered a guest star, the category he was nominated for.

In the supporting actress category, 3 of the 6 spots are for GoT actresses so those are pretty good odds.  While I would love Maisie to win, Lena winning would end up being a good result as well.

Archived