US Elections -- The Wrath of Khan

I am a member of my local American Legion. By default, the members of the American Legion would be in line to vote for Donald Trump, despite his many flaws, simply because he supports the military and veterans. Making fun of the Khans wont sit well with veterans groups, and I wont be surprised to see the veterans groups not support Trump over this. Trump seriously blundered this, and he just keeps digging his hole. 

Seriously, at some point Trump just needs to say that the Khan's son payed the ultimate price for freedom, giving the ultimate sacrifice, and the country owes a debt to the Khan's that can never be repaid. And then say that he has nothing else to say about it. 

19 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Through Google News I could easily find Richard Hanna of New York saying this, but can't find a second one. Who is it? (There are some others who have said they will not vote for Trump, but without saying they would vote for Clinton.)

Yeah, I couldn't find the second person either. And I believe that Hanna isn't seeking reelection, so it's not as strong a rebuke as someone who has something on the line come November. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I couldn't find the second person either. And I believe that Hanna isn't seeking reelection, so it's not as strong a rebuke as someone who has something on the line come November. 

I know I saw an article yesterday or the day before pop up on Facebook about two Republicans who were "never Trump" people, the article noting they stand out against the rest who jumped on the bandwagon.  But since I'm not an American, the names did not stick in my mind.  I got the impression they were the kind of people we would call backbenchers in parliament, people not sitting in the front ranks.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know I saw an article yesterday or the day before pop up on Facebook about two Republicans who were "never Trump" people, the article noting they stand out against the rest who jumped on the bandwagon.  But since I'm not an American, the names did not stick in my mind.  I got the impression they were the kind of people we would call backbenchers in parliament, people not sitting in the front ranks.

Never Trump isn't the same as voting for Clinton though. There have been several Republicans who've said they won't vote for Trump, but afaik, Hanna is the only Republican who holds a major office whose said he will vote for Clinton. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Really, attacking military families - especially those who have experienced a loss - is probably second only to insulting kids as far as bad targets.

Funny you should say that...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-kicks-out-baby-rally-226566

Trump continuing to prove that you literally couldn't make it up.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Never Trump isn't the same as voting for Clinton though. There have been several Republicans who've said they won't vote for Trump, but afaik, Hanna is the only Republican who holds a major office whose said he will vote for Clinton. 

I know PJ O'Rourke, of libertarian humorist fame, has said for awhile that he's voting for Clinton--which sort of blows my mind. 

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

Funny you should say that...

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-kicks-out-baby-rally-226566

Trump continuing to prove that you literally couldn't make it up.

His quotes are amazing:

“Don’t worry about that baby. I love babies," Trump said after hearing the baby crying during an aside about the trade imbalance. "Don’t worry about it. I love babies. I hear that baby crying, I like it. What a baby. What a beautiful baby. Don’t worry, don’t worry. The mom’s running around like—don’t worry about it, you know. It’s young and beautiful and healthy and that’s what we want.”

“Actually, I was only kidding, you can get the baby out of here," the Republican nominee said to laughter and applause. "That’s all right. Don’t worry. I, I think she really believed me that I love having a baby crying while I’m speaking. That’s OK. People don’t understand. That’s OK."

51 minutes ago, Notone said:

I am not convinced those defections are anything more than self preservation. That of course depends on the districts they are running in. They have to appeal to a general election audience. And depending on your district you might be fairly safe from a primary challenge by a Tea Party candidate. GOP Senator Mark Kirk from Illinois runs anti Trump TV ads for crying out loud. I doubt that will save him his seat, but you can't say he is not trying.

Hanna is not running for re-election, so its not self preservation. Its more that once again retirement has proven to be the ultimate liberation for lawmakers to say what they really feel.

Granted, Hanna was also the one in 2012 who was the only Republican at an equal rights rally and at that rally said that all women should probably donate to the Democrats since his side wasn't so good on that topic. And he was one of the 13 total federally-elected Republicans who signed a letter acknowledging that climate change is real and caused by human activity. 

So he's not really a great barometer for where even the 'moderate' wing of Republican party stands these days.

2 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

Why would you bring a baby to a political rally?

Why shouldn't you?

It's not as if political rallies are known to be family-unfriendly.

In any case, not sure I see that this would in any way excuse Trump being a dick about it.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Hanna is not running for re-election, so its not self preservation. Its more that once again retirement has proven to be the ultimate liberation for lawmakers to say what they really feel.

Granted, Hanna was also the one in 2012 who was the only Republican at an equal rights rally and at that rally said that all women should probably donate to the Democrats since his side wasn't so good on that topic. And he was one of the 13 total federally-elected Republicans who signed a letter acknowledging that climate change is real and caused by human activity. 

So he's not really a great barometer for where even the 'moderate' wing of Republican party stands these days.

Dear god. I thought Rockefeller Republicans were extinct.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Why shouldn't you?

It's not as if political rallies are known to be family-unfriendly.

In any case, not sure I see that this would in any way excuse Trump being a dick about it.

Yes, actually, political rallies are known to be family-unfriendly activities, because they're primarily designed for adults who like to listen to other adults stand at a podium and say stupid things for extended periods of time. They're not family friendly precisely because they're generally not kid friendly. The only kids you see at these events are kids who have been roped into being unwitting proxies for the political agendas of their parents. Aside from the fact that political rallies are stupid, I wouldn't bring a kid there because most kids would be fucking bored out of their minds at one. 

As for a baby specifically, it's rude to keep a screaming baby in a room with a bunch of other people who are trying to hear someone else talk. It's loud, obnoxious and distracting. Sometimes, in certain circumstances, the rest of society just has to deal with it - like if you're in the grocery store and don't have any other childcare options. But, in other circumstances, like your completely non-required attendance at a political rally, nobody should expect to have to put up with it. 

She should have never brought the baby to the rally in the first place. And once the kid started crying, she should have left, not walked around trying to quiet the kid while she continued to scream. 

As for whether Trump was being a dick. Meh. On the scale of dickitude, this hardly qualifies. This is an attempt to feed into the media narrative of Trump falling apart and making gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. Insulting a "gold star family" is a gaffe. This was not. 

10 minutes ago, sologdin said:

to bait numbnuts to say anti-natalist stuff and thereby slit his own throat?

If I had to put odds on two competing theories, one being a canny political set-up from a liberal parent, and the other being the regular stupidity of a clueless Trump supporter, I know there I'm putting my money. 

21 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

Why would you bring a baby to a political rally?

It's actually not that uncommon to see babies and children in general at a political rally. Maybe not at a Trump rally though. 

8 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

Yes, actually, political rallies are known to be family-unfriendly activities

No, they're not. Nobody in history has ever said 'what were you thinking, taking a baby to a political rally? Are you mad?'

They may be aimed at adults but that doesn't make them family-unfriendly.

The only kids you see at these events are kids who have been roped into being unwitting proxies for the political agendas of their parents.

Googling 'political rally' turns up multiple pictures containing children: this is, self-evidently, normal behaviour.

ETA - in regard to Tywin's point, Googling 'Trump rally' will show you pics of previous Trump rallies where kids and indeed babies appear in the crowd.

As for a baby specifically, it's rude to keep a screaming baby in a room with a bunch of other people who are trying to hear someone else talk. It's loud, obnoxious and distracting.

*obligatory joke* If you had to remove loud, obnoxious and distracting things from a Trump rally the room would be empty.

There are literally millions of photos of politicians with babies.  How do you think that happens?  Kids just magically appear out of thin air and then disappear quietly as to not disturb the listening adults?  Come on....

Archived