Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

1.  Pulp Fiction: To me it was the best movie of the 90's. Brilliantly cast and acted and contains my all-time favorite monologue: Jules' Tyranny of Evil Men realization. Goddamn this movie was brilliant.

2. Kill Bill vol. 2: This was a close one between this and vol. 1. Vol. 1 had the incredible action and the heartwrenching Man From Okinawa scenes, but Vol. 2 had Bill and my two favorite scenes of both movies: Bill's talk with Budd and Bill's Superman monologue.

3. Kill Bill vol. 1: See above

4. Inglourious Basterds: I almost rated Jackie Brown above this one because there were parts of Basterds that I really disliked: the Shoshanna and Zoller scenes. If I watch this film I fast forward right over them. But what makes up for them is the best character that Tarantino has ever written in one Hans Landa. The opening scene with the French dairy farmer and the near end scene where he interrogates Aldo the Apache are so great. The first one riveting and chilling while the second one is highly amusing. Landa is one of the greatest Magnificent Bastards in all of cinema. 

5. Jackie Brown: I've always thought this one was underrated and loved the 70's homage. I also really loved the soundtrack and how Tarantino used the Defonics song to illustrate Max falling in love with Jackie The ending always gets me, too. 

6. Death Proof: This one has grown on me quite a bit. On my first viewing I thought it was too talky even for a Tarantino Film but later realized that was done on purpose as Grindhouse movies had low budgets so they needed to have scenes like that. The chase scene was tremendous as was the use of "Chick Habit" in the credits. 

7. The Hateful Eight: While it had some great scenes and characters I thought it was WAY too long.

8. Django Unchained: I was surprised at how meh I found this film. It was okay but I never felt the need to re-watch it again.

1) Pulp Fiction. Yeah me too this was the ultimate 90's movie, I've watched it a number of times and considered it borderline perfect. Think I caught a bit of it recently and it felt a little aged but not as much as I imagined. By far his best movie IMO

2) Inglorious Basterds. A big return to form after a bit of a lull I think. From that first epic scene which is amazing, to the long cellar bar scene and then crazy ending it has so many fantastic moments. Its strange how so many of the actors in it who I didn't know before seem to melted into my brain so I go crazy every time I see them on screen in anything else. Melanie Laurent is one such. The pacing is a little shaky and it feels maybe unbalanced but otherwise I love it.

3) Django Unchained. I think this film gets a bit of hate, mainly because its closing half hour is a bit self indulgent and unnecessary. But otherwise I think this is his most flat out entertaining movie, and works as a straight revenge tale. I even like its slightly off kilter humour moments. 

4) Reservoir Dogs. Long time since I've seen it and it never blew me away in the same way it seemed to for others, but its still a great movie for its time, very tight

-
_
_
_MASSIVE GAP
_
_

5) Jackie Brown. Yeah it was fine, but ultimately didn't grab me, its story wasn't all that compelling and it was the beginning of some serious self indulgence.

6) Hateful Eight. Its too long. Far too long. Its mystery seems pretty pointless, and you come out thinking.. 'why did I watch that?'. None of the performances are 'out of the park' good enough to make it worth its run time and the story certainly isn't much to write home about. Nice idea I guess.

7) Kill Bill Pt 1. I have a severe hatred for the Kill Bill movies. They are the pinnacle of self indulgence and self reference. There is about 10 minutes of story contained in 4 hours of movie. Pt1 at least has the decency to include an amazing fight scene

8) Kill Bill Pt 2. Horrendous toilet paper of a movie. So far up its own backside that its digesting itself. God it makes me so angry!!

.. The rest I haven't actually seen. I was mainly put off by Kill Bill and wasnt going to return to his movies, but IB convinced me.

Tarantino says he wants a portfolio of great movies behind him, which is why he doesn't want to make too many or go on too long. But the problem is he's already shot his load. He's got a far from perfect filmography already.

28 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Rather than knowing for sure - I definitely think he SUSPECTED. He was proudly a detective sort - he would have gathered multiple descriptions from the neighbouring farmers so would have likely known her height, general frame and appearance. he might EVEN have had photographs but I don't know about that...he definitely would have had more information than we were given during the interrogation scene 

This is probably more accurate. I highly doubt he knew, but he may have suspected it (although there's nothing in the movie that would lead us to believe that he wouldn't act on his suspicions).

Also, from a previous comment, why do you say that we knew that Landa was going to defect already at the cafe scene? 

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

1) Pulp Fiction. Yeah me too this was the ultimate 90's movie, I've watched it a number of times and considered it borderline perfect. Think I caught a bit of it recently and it felt a little aged but not as much as I imagined. By far his best movie IMO

4) Pulp Fiction. Long time since I've seen it and it never blew me away in the same way it seemed to for others, but its still a great movie for its time, very tight

This seems odd.

32 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Rather than knowing for sure - I definitely think he SUSPECTED. He was proudly a detective sort - he would have gathered multiple descriptions from the neighbouring farmers so would have likely known her height, general frame and appearance. he might EVEN have had photographs but I don't know about that...he definitely would have had more information than we were given during the interrogation scene 

But why would he even be thinking about Shoshanna (I forget how many) years later? She wasn't exactly public enemy number one. I think it'd only make sense if he recognized her. For what it's worth I watched the opening again to see if he got a look at her or had photos. When he reads off the names he's doing it from a ledger with no photos. Doesn't prove he didn't have some elsewhere in his folder though. How common was photography back then in France?

I should have watched the cafe scene again, I may just watch the whole movie later. But I thought the only real clue that he was onto her was that he ordered milk. That's easily explained if he just likes milk.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is probably more accurate. I highly doubt he knew, but he may have suspected it (although there's nothing in the movie that would lead us to believe that he wouldn't act on his suspicions).

Also, from a previous comment, why do you say that we knew that Landa was going to defect already at the cafe scene? 

Yes there is. At this point he has already decided to betray Hitler. And I also think he's a man dedicated to the job. He said Au Revoir, i'll see you again, and he did. At this point he is security, at the point she ran away he was a detective looking for hidden jews. 

So he highly suspected in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

But why would he even be thinking about Shoshanna (I forget how many) years later? She wasn't exactly public enemy number one. I think it'd only make sense if he recognized her. For what it's worth I watched the opening again to see if he got a look at her or had photos. When he reads off the names he's doing it from a ledger with no photos. Doesn't prove he didn't have some elsewhere in his folder though. How common was photography back then in France?

I should have watched the cafe scene again, I may just watch the whole movie later. But I thought the only real clue that he was onto her was that he ordered milk. That's easily explained if he just likes milk.

A photograph, especially of a rural french woman is probably not likely. 

However, there's actually a lot more clues in the cafe scene. The cream and the milk, the pastry is likely made from pig fat (lard) so I think as a jew she might not have been able to eat it, correct if wrong, i'm not sure. But he pauses at the end and says ''there was something else I wanted to ask you...'' and stares her down for a long time. 

So even if he didn't know, or have a name to put to his suspicions, he definitely is suspicious; he know she is jewish I'm certain of that and the milk...is just such a big hint. He orders coffee...and then orders her a milk? Just very strange and then make sa big deal about waiting for the cream...

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He orders it for her, though. It's that, and the 'I did have something else I wanted to ask you' (grim look) 'but I've quite forgotten what it is!' is what makes it seem like he knows and is just tormenting her coz he can.

I think the most plausible explanation is that he'd already looked into 'Emmanuelle Mimieux' before coming to the meet, and put some timings together.

Ah alright I'd forgotten he ordered her the milk. I think I will watch the whole thing again later.

This is neither here nor there but I was just remembering when I saw it in theaters. This guy sat down behind us and bellowed "Is this that Brad Pitt shit?" Then about halfway into the movie he shouted "Lorena Bobbitt!" at the screen for no apparent reason. When we got up to leave he was passed out with his shirt off. They had to call the cops. Good times. 

Edit: that was only my second weirdest experience in that theater, and only because he didn't take his dick out like the guy during the Alice in Wonderland remake. 

22 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yes there is. At this point he has already decided to betray Hitler. And I also think he's a man dedicated to the job. He said Au Revoir, i'll see you again, and he did. At this point he is security, at the point she ran away he was a detective looking for hidden jews. 

So he highly suspected in my opinion. 

How do we know that (the bolded part)? I haven't seen the movie in years, but I don't recall there being some tip off that he's going to defect.

53 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So let's have a poll. What do we think will happen first, a colony on Mars, or Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair on BR/DVD?

The latter. There's been talks of it happening in the not too distant future. I think the better question is what comes out first, TWBA or TWOW?

On that note though, I'm surprised so many people put Vol. 2 above Vol 1. 

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

One can assume. it's all just theory territory but I'm pretty sure he's decided. 

I just don't think his behavior indicated it, but we'll never know.

What Taratino mystery that I want resolved is what's in the briefcase? I heard an interview with Ving Rhames a few months back and he said he knows the answer, but can't reveal it because there's always been considerations to do a sequel to Pulp Fiction. 

I will lose my shit if he makes a sequel to Pulp Fiction. It's perfect, leave it alone. And I don't want to know what's in the briefcase. There's no way it wouldn't end up being dissapointing.

To weigh in on KB Vol 1 vs Vol 2, I prefer part 2 as well. I love the Pai Mei training scenes, and every minute David Carradine is on screen is gold.

That Pulp Fiction sequel shit looks like total bullshit. At first I thought it was probably some mistranslated interview about the aborted Vega Brothers movie. But the source seems to be this (totally unsourced) "report" about Ving Rhames supposedly saying some vague shit about how he can't talk about it. 

It reminds me of the time Tara Reid confirmed The Big Lebowski 2.

I picked Vol 1 over 2 primarily based off the O-Ren Ishi scenes. This is one of my alltime favorite movie entrances ever (O-Ren and posse entering the House of Blue Leaves).

Just fantastic lolol.

Also I loved the scene where O-Ren collects boss Tanaka's head so persuasively.

Great stuff there.

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Kill Bill vol 2 is definately overlooked a lot. There are some really awesome scenes in that one, but the Bride vs the Crazy 88 might be the best scene in any of his movies. So if I had to pick which one is better it would be the first.

That being said, it feels unnatural to me to separate them. QT meant them as a single movie, even if we still can't purchase them as a single movie (sigh).

Same I slightly prefer the first but they're one movie to me. All the O-Ren stuff is my favorite stretch of either of the them as well. 

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Kill Bill vol 2 is definately overlooked a lot. There are some really awesome scenes in that one, but the Bride vs the Crazy 88 might be the best scene in any of his movies. So if I had to pick which one is better it would be the first.

That being said, it feels unnatural to me to separate them. QT meant them as a single movie, even if we still can't purchase them as a single movie (sigh).

Surely none of that makes up for its snail pacing

Archived