Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

If we're factoring in true romance and from dusk till dawn I like them both but they're still going to be toward the bottom of my list. from dusk till dawn might have the sexiest movie scene and song in it and I really do enjoy it but I'm hesitant to put it above reservoir dogs and django because even though I need to rewatch both movies and don't remember them the best they're still better movies I think 

1) Pulp Fiction 

2) Reservoir Dogs

3) Inglorious Basterds

4) Kill Bill (1+2, one movie)

5) Django Unchained 

6) The Hateful Eight

7) Death Proof

8) Jackie Brown

Pulp Fiction far and above the number one. 2-4 very close, 6 and 7 also very close. 8 by far the "worst" movie (but still good). 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

If we're factoring in true romance and from dusk till dawn I like them both but they're still going to be toward the bottom of my list. from dusk till dawn might have the sexiest movie scene and song in it and I really do enjoy it but I'm hesitant to put it above reservoir dogs and django because even though I need to rewatch both movies and don't remember them the best they're still better movies I think 

If we're factoring in Tarantino-written films, where does The Rock go? :P

Seriously though the one film the two best dialogue-meisters in the business (Tarantino and Sorkin) are known to have worked on and it's a (admittedly, the best) Michael Bay actioner.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Seriously though the one film the two best dialogue-meisters in the business (Tarantino and Sorkin) are known to have worked on and it's a (admittedly, the best) Michael Bay actioner.

i've never seen it ;D 

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

What about Natural Born Killers? QT wrote the story. Oliver Stone actually changed it quite a bit though. It was originally all one movie along with True Romance, but obviously that idea got scrapped. QT originally voiced how much he hated the way NBK turned out, but supposedly an encounter in an elevator with Johnny Cash where Cash told him how much he liked the movie has softened his opinion on it over the years. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It is a solid action movie, and there's some good one-liners in it, but I'll book no slights against the first Bad Boys. 

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill (Vol. 1 & 2)
  3. Inglorious Basterds
  4. The Hateful Eight
  5. The Man From Hollywood (Four Rooms segment directed by Tarantino)
  6. Reservoir Dogs
  7. Jackie Brown
  8. Django Unchained

and WAY BELOW

9. Death Proof

I never warmed up to Django, partly because of Jamie Foxx, partly because of the last act. The Hateful Eight really was a surprise in my case, the leaked script didn't do anything for me, the trailer didn't bring any interest out of me, I only watched the movie because a friend of mine told me I would like it and and wanted to prove him wrong.

Death Proof ?! Ahhhhhh, that's not even worth it.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Fixed that for you.

*flees*

Man Slow West was such a forgettable movie. I remember thinking Mendelsohn was under used and that's pretty much all I can remember from it.  Don't think it's anywhere near as good Hateful Eight..

27 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I never warmed up to Django, partly because of Jamie Foxx, partly because of the last act. 

Couldn't agree more. Those are my two main gripes and the reason why Django was so low on my list. Foxx was pretty damn bland and his casting especially hurts after I read that Michael K Williams was offered the role but couldn't do it, would have been a much better fit. And yeah the last act after

Schultz kills Candie

could hardly keep my interest. 

Tarantino was so impressed with Michael K Williamsthat he almost wrote in an entirely new character when Foxx eventually landed the role. It was between the two for a while, but it wasn’t to be for the Boardwalk Empire star. The character of Django isn’t too dissimilar from that of Omar, who K-Williams played masterfully in The Wire.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.contactmusic.com/amp/3576690?client=safari

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

What about Natural Born Killers? QT wrote the story. Oliver Stone actually changed it quite a bit though. It was originally all one movie along with True Romance, but obviously that idea got scrapped. QT originally voiced how much he hated the way NBK turned out, but supposedly an encounter in an elevator with Johnny Cash where Cash told him how much he liked the movie has softened his opinion on it over the years. 

I haven't seen it yet ! Which is ridiculous I bought the DVD years ago and then I dropped it down the side of my bed but was sort of in a total depression state so just left it there L M A O, finally found it, was very dusty and was kind of frightened of it LOL, still kept the DVD with me..and now all my DVDs are in my Nans house in Wales....LOL. I'lljust watch it on Netflix or something one day

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I plan on rewatching Django soon because it's on Netflix ad my Mum an Dad love it so will probably all watch together 

It does have great re-watch value because of the standout quality of individual sequences IMO.

I'm due to re-watch it soon as well, it's been a year or two. I'm not much of a re-watcher of films and series normally but Tarantino ( and admittedly a few others) are easy exceptions.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It does have great re-watch value because of the standout quality of individual sequences IMO.

I'm due to re-watch it soon as well, it's been a year or two. I'm not much of a re-watcher of films and series normally but Tarantino ( and admittedly a few others) are easy exceptions.

I'm always rewatching movies to be honest! so usually when I don't have the desire to its not a great sign but every now and again it's just because I simply wasnt paying attention enough the first time or just appreciated the movie better the second time 

I'm a massive Tarantino fanboy.

1. Basterds - every time I watch this, it just gets better. The opening scene is exceptional, Waltz is so good, the tension throughout is amazing. Only slight downside for me is the ending. And this is one of my favourite ever scenes-

2. Reservoir Dogs - hard not to put top, as recently I was saying this was my favourite ever film. I can't ever recall being so into a film's dialogue. Also, maybe the best performance by maybe my favourite actor, Steve Buscemi.

3. Pulp Fiction- I love this film like everyone my age seems to. Main downside is The Wolf section, which I've always found a bit meh.

Those three are definitely my favourites.

4. Django- I thought Sam Jackson should have got an oscar nomination for this at least.

5. Kill Bill vol. one- Such an original film, and the fight at the end is the shit. Probably my favourite fight ever.

6. Hateful Eight- I feel this one is hard to rank, because I've only seen it at the cinema, but I did love it, great style as always.

7. Kill Bill vol. two- Felt a little off in parts, but how much do I love the buried alive scene.

8. Jackie Brown- I always want to praise this one as the forgotten film, I love the music and acting as always, Jackson outstanding again. I have to admit the main plot lacks a bit of drama for me and I don't really feel the tension.

9. Death Proof- Can't say I enjoyed this, I don't like car films, and being completely unfamiliar with old B movies, I felt like much of it was an 'in joke' I wasn't in on.

If we're ranking True Romance in, could be as high as forth, but I'd probably go sixth. Wonderful film. Natural Born Killers would only be above Death Proof, same with Dusk Till Dawn.

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I haven't seen it yet ! Which is ridiculous I bought the DVD years ago and then I dropped it down the side of my bed but was sort of in a total depression state so just left it there L M A O, finally found it, was very dusty and was kind of frightened of it LOL, still kept the DVD with me..and now all my DVDs are in my Nans house in Wales....LOL. I'lljust watch it on Netflix or something one day

Probably a good call. That film is so fucked up. Gave me some real nightmares, which pretty much never happens. 

On 12/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, Tywin et al. said:

You both should check out Jackie Brown. It's really good and I think it's still free on Netflix...

Agreed, Jackie Brown is underrated. Tarantino counts Kill Bill as only one film, so I will as well when I rank it on my list.

1. Pulp Fiction - still his best work, hands down.
  2. Kill Bill vol. 1 & 2 - I don't think we'll ever get an official release of The Whole Bloody affair until he's either "retired" or dies.
  3. Inglourious Basterds - I love films like this that play with history. Also some damned fine acting throughout this flick.
  4. Reservoir Dogs - so simple yet so mesmerizing
  5. Django Unchained - Loved DiCaprio in this film. Really #3-5 on my list are all  a three-way tie. All are so different yet distinctively Tarantino.
  6. Jackie Brown - I didn't really like this film until the second watching. It's gotten better with each viewing.
  7. Death Proof - I've only seen it twice, so this one needs more views by me. I dig it, but it feels like his most "loose" film in terms of refinement.
  8. Hateful 8 - Again, I've only seen it twice, and it feels like Tarantino missing the mark. It seems indulgent. This is the closest he's come to making a film I don't like--but I still  like it and his work enough to own it on blu ray. 

Archived