Travelers - Another Netflix December Drama

drawkcabi

Also from Show Case in Canada.

I'm six episodes in and LOVING this!!! A must see for time travel fans or anyone really who enjoys good TV.

Stargate Sg-1, Atlantis, etc. writer/producer Brad Wright is behind this series.

Just watch it, you'll love it.

Eric McCormick from Will & Grace is also a producer and a lead in this series.

Another Sg-1 alum, Teryl Rothery (Dr, Frasier) plays another peripheral recurring character in this series. I always liked her, I think she has a Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island look to her.

• 1 month later...

It's so badly written, the actors / characters are so dreary and unwatchable -- the whole package so dull, I bailed after three different times trying to get through the 3rd episode.

Continuum was so very very very opposite!

I don't get it, it's extremely watchable to me. It was one of my fastest binge watches ever. The writing was fun in a Stargate Sg-1 way, I loved the actors in it, it was my favorite show last year, I liked it better than Stranger Things, Colony, The Oa, all of them.

I usually try and seek out real quality HBO stuff before I start a network series, then thought "screw it, I like time travel" so I watched 3 simultaneously; Travellers, Frequency, and Timeless. I keep changing my mind how I'd order them, Travellers was pretty good but it bugged me how they focused too much on the lives of the previous hosts than the 'agents'. Hippy drug guy is basically still a hippy drug guy, single mom is still a single mom, etc. How the hell does Mulder (or the FBI agent who looks exactly like him) hold down a job as an FBI agent? Considering he doesn't even know the password to his computer, it should be 5 minutes before someone points out he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. I quite like the jock guy, the actor does a good job of portraying a wise and kind old man in his body, that's basically what they should have done with the rest.

I think Frequency at its best is the best of the three, but the pacing is all over the place, they obviously had to throw some filler episodes in that it really doesn't need. Plus it really needed a clean ending and they had to throw in a teaser for a season 2 that, as I understand, isn't happening.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea, it's a shame they've started branding everything as 'Netflix Original' as it's sullied the brand a bit. 

They should distinguish between their shows and ones they get off other networks. In the UK I guess it stems from "breaking Bad" being their big success.

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

Biggest disappointment was when I started watching Riverdale and it turned out I have to wait for the next episode, the horror!

At least the weekly shows it's instantly clear it's not one of their own shows. I'm also glad riverdale is on netflix as it means I can check it out. I think the same will be true of season 2 of "the expanse" although that will be a shock to UK viewers as season 1 was a binge release a couple of months ago

A couple hundred years in the future a league of Quantum Leapers are trying to put right what once went wrong. Fun ensues.

Sophie Marcy and old man jock are my favorite characters. Also really like social worker. I remember most of the story. Simple =/= bad.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, Mikael said:

I tried watching this, watched something like 4-6 episodes, but nothing ever happened. Did the story take off or is it still just meandering without any real direction? 

Spoiler

We find out who the director is. Sophie Marcy goes through the most extensive character arc. FBI agent next and he goes through some stuff with his "wife". Soldier mother girlfriend gets pissed at him, has to deal with asshole abusive cop ex-husband of host. More people from the future arrive. It is learned some are bad or working against them, and the opposing faction in the future may be the result of something the group did in the present.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, DaveSumm said:

I usually try and seek out real quality HBO stuff before I start a network series, then thought "screw it, I like time travel" so I watched 3 simultaneously; Travellers, Frequency, and Timeless. I keep changing my mind how I'd order them, Travellers was pretty good but it bugged me how they focused too much on the lives of the previous hosts than the 'agents'. Hippy drug guy is basically still a hippy drug guy, single mom is still a single mom, etc. How the hell does Mulder (or the FBI agent who looks exactly like him) hold down a job as an FBI agent? Considering he doesn't even know the password to his computer, it should be 5 minutes before someone points out he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. I quite like the jock guy, the actor does a good job of portraying a wise and kind old man in his body, that's basically what they should have done with the rest.

I think Frequency at its best is the best of the three, but the pacing is all over the place, they obviously had to throw some filler episodes in that it really doesn't need. Plus it really needed a clean ending and they had to throw in a teaser for a season 2 that, as I understand, isn't happening.

I enjoy all 3 of the shows as well, and also put Frequency at the top (but really, they're all kind of close).  I will be very upset with no season 2.

I used to play hockey in the same league as a bunch of the Startgate (and BSG) cast and crew in the Vancouver area, a friend of mine from the SG crew said Amanda Tapping is directing some of the episodes in the first season as well.  Not sure if they've come out yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the show a chance because of who made it and the staggering number of Stargate alumni, I stayed because of the intriguing story and the characters. I am hooked. 8 episodes in.

But I have to say, it is always bittersweet watching one of these Canadian-American SF shows, since they tend to use the same actors, even if it's just for minor roles. Ah, how I wish SGU and the Stargate franchise was still active.

I'm glad Amanda Tapping is involved in some capacity. And I noticed Andy Mikita's name on a few episodes. He was one of the main directors they used for the Stargate shows.

Also props to Eric McCormak for the effort of learning some Romanian for episode 3. I wonder how long it took him.

Archived