what are your predictions

2 hours ago, madscientist596 said:

Well since a lot has been leaked and I am a  spoiler junkie--I'll go with some of the small details

A dragon burps after eating someone.

E. Clark will act all wooden.

Arya and Sansa will fight

Over/under on bewbs is 4.  (I greatly overshot last week).

Bran will reveal something, prob probably something we already know and not something cool like Jon Snow is really Rhaegar re-incarnated or Ned is alive but really good at hide and seek.

Hodor will still be dead, but remembered fondly.  Or not at all.

The Dothraki will use traditional steppe warfare using swift moving maneuver actics to outflank the Lannister army.   j/k---they charge right at them because ACTING!

The Archmaester reveals to Sam the truth about the Horcuruxes.

We'll still all be mad at Jamie for being on team Cersei.

Euron will imitate Jack Sparrow instead of being the monster he was born to be. (I was rooting for him all along mates!).

Dany buzzes the Red Keep on Drogon after being denied permission from the tower.  Drogon will growl and cause The Mountain to spill his coffee ("Negative Dragonrider, the pattern is full!").

Tarly supreme battle tactics will be to stand there stoicly while getting beat down by dragons, Dothraki and the US Marines.

Bronn makes 0 jokes.

Dorne will fall into the sea because its plotlines were so bad.

LOL. Where is the like button?

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

But then Arya would have to kill the maid to get her face which I think might go beyond her code of ethics. Maybe. As much as I would like Arya to pull a faceless man killing on Cersei, I don't think Cersei will die that way. I think the serving girls face she had while in the Frey castle was either borrowed from the faceless men or acquired in some justified manner. Granted, I don't really know how Arya will use her faceless men skills.

I may be mistaken, but didn't she use another girl's face to serve feet pie?

4 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

I do not see it as a 'meh' but rather, her speech to Jon about all she has endured to take the throne.... and how that is ALL she has ever thought about her entire life basically.  It would be (for the show) a really almost shocking and possibly redeeming(?) arc for her. 

That she somehow comes to the understanding that BATTLING is all she has ever known and slowly over time starts to doubt why and considers (as she said) she IS the last Targaryen.... and she may ultimately think of her House and lineage and "starting over" at Dragonstone.  Maybe with Jon.  Maybe with Dhario!  Maybe because of Jon. 

Jon is a guy who doesn't care about any of this war crap.  He just wants it to end.  He just wants to be a person.  Not a king.  His influence may cause Daenerys to stray from her 100% conquering thought process and think more of a "normal" life since she has never had one.  It's obvious they will become close.  Like I said, their first interaction was a real eye-opener. 

What if she falls in love with Jon?  *see my "shipping* comment below*.  He could really influence her to be like "WHY are you really doing all this?  Can any fan of the show name her ultimate motivation for wanting to conquer Westeros other than "it is what has kept me standing this whole time" (in her words)?  I don't think I can name her real motivation for it.  Grown people know (most) that "the struggle" is not really a valid motivation.  For fans of "American Gods" yes, Anger Gets Shit Done (is that what the quote is?).  But then what?

Also, she may even begin to doubt she does own leadership simply because of her name.  Her first encounter with Jon caused me to realize that.  Most of these people are acting on what their fathers and grandfathers and  ancestors did or said or were.  Her father was horrible and she has always called Robert "usurper" but what if she finds out how Rhaegar was even trying to mediate his rule due to madness?  She so far has no willingness to accept her father was awful (tho she says it, but if she really believed it she would have to admit he no longer should have been ruling, thus, her own claim to the throne is invalid).

Also, King's Landing I believe may be destroyed in the process.. and I keep thinking of her vision, and she would be sitting there ruling over basically nothing and no one.  It's weird I just thought of that in relation to her vision.  She passed the throne by... and went to her "family" instead.

For some godawful reason (not in a bad way) I think Gendry will be on the throne if it still exists.  Don't know why.  He is the last son of Robert, even if a bastard.  And we already know Dorne has no problem with bastards and Jon (a bastard) was named king.  Perceptions are changing in Westeros.  Females, bastards, it's all becoming more OK.  Cersei is the first Queen!

I don't "ship" as a habit, but if they don't think Arya has to die for her "sins" (as most shows always make a reckoning for people who kill) she and Gendry might end up ruling as a couple.  Cause you know this show is going to end up pairing people off in the end.  That's just how TV works.

If Jon and Dany or Arya and Gendry get together and play happy families at the end, I think I'll puke :D The only kind of weddings that have been on GoTs are failed ones, why should we be expecting some kind of Hallmark ending? Both the books and show constantly reinforce the idea that the things we love destroy us - a love conquers all ending would be totally out of place in this story.

Jon does give a crap about war - with the Walkers. Jon's determination that the Walkers are villainous could end up being as flawed as Dany's belief that she has a right to the Iron Throne.

There is a pattern to how things work in GoTs - everything has this kind of spite to it, everyone gets what they deserve with irony. Ned cherished honour, forsake it for love and lost his head. Cat cherished her children and died after watching one of her own die. The universe of GoTs is controlled by the god of troll karma (GRRM).

I wouldn't be surprised if Jon destroys the Night King and then realises he has done the wrong thing, or something similar. If Dany does fall in love with Jon and Jon with her, I wouldn't be surprised if they go their own ways for things that are more important to them (ie getting the throne and beating the Night King) and then end up feeling hollow about what they have achieved and sad that they let their missions get in front of their love.

Never forget, we have been promised bittersweet. Bittersweet is not achieving the goal and being happy, nor is it some people have to sacrifice themselves to achieve the goal. It's either realising that to be happy you have to forget the goal, or achieving the goal at the expense of happiness. Dany won't be able to have the Throne and Jon, Jon won't be able to beat the White Walkers and have Dany, Arya won't be able to be true to herself and love Gendry, Sansa won't be able to be politically powerful and a Stark and so on... that is how this story works.

12 hours ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

At some point the Val Sword Dark Sister will be recovered North of the Wall  ( as it was last weilded by Bloodraven) and will factor into the death of the NK.  It has been , ominously, noted  that Dark Sister is a long sword suitable to be weilded by a woman.   Arya?  Could ( God no please) Sansa be the Prince That Was Promised?

I know of only one female character who could wield a long sword....

43 minutes ago, ummester said:

If Jon and Dany or Arya and Gendry get together and play happy families at the end, I think I'll puke :D The only kind of weddings that have been on GoTs are failed ones, why should we be expecting some kind of Hallmark ending? Both the books and show constantly reinforce the idea that the things we love destroy us - a love conquers all ending would be totally out of place in this story.

Jon does give a crap about war - with the Walkers. Jon's determination that the Walkers are villainous could end up being as flawed as Dany's belief that she has a right to the Iron Throne.

There is a pattern to how things work in GoTs - everything has this kind of spite to it, everyone gets what they deserve with irony. Ned cherished honour, forsake it for love and lost his head. Cat cherished her children and died after watching one of her own die. The universe of GoTs is controlled by the god of troll karma (GRRM).

I wouldn't be surprised if Jon destroys the Night King and then realises he has done the wrong thing, or something similar. If Dany does fall in love with Jon and Jon with her, I wouldn't be surprised if they go their own ways for things that are more important to them (ie getting the throne and beating the Night King) and then end up feeling hollow about what they have achieved and sad that they let their missions get in front of their love.

Never forget, we have been promised bittersweet. Bittersweet is not achieving the goal and being happy, nor is it some people have to sacrifice themselves to achieve the goal. It's either realising that to be happy you have to forget the goal, or achieving the goal at the expense of happiness. Dany won't be able to have the Throne and Jon, Jon won't be able to beat the White Walkers and have Dany, Arya won't be able to be true to herself and love Gendry, Sansa won't be able to be politically powerful and a Stark and so on... that is how this story works.

good post.  I think there will be some pairings that happen and some wanted pairings that end up devastated.  That's how I kind of see Bittersweet.  I don't see a complete doom for all the characters but definitely for some.

Just quick, I meant Jon doesn't care about war... meaning, he just wants it to be over.  Stop the NK and whatever other calamities are happening and then just go about his life.  That's what I see in his character (in the show at least). 

Daenerys' motivations I still think are flawed and the more she hangs out with Jon she will start to change.  I really believe that.  Somehow I think Jorah will have something to do with that also.  She always shunned him for saying she had a Gentle Heart.  She abhors that idea.  I see her softening toward the end.  Re-thinking her motivations. 

I think everyone agrees with the Red Priestess they are Ice & Fire so they will come together on some level and become close if not full on shipping.  The show HAS TO insert some shipping... that's just TV.  Maybe they will fall in love and one dies or both die or whatever.  I don't see those two characters ending up in a happy place together. 

As far as the show and contracts and fan favorites we can name on two hands the characters who will remain until the end.  People like Bronn, Brienne, Pod, etc are only there as fan favorites.  They aren't doing anything and not essentially involved in the plot.  Even Varys has been pushed to a non-entity.  Which is vile to me.  And of course LF will die soon to facilitate Sophie Turner (ultra yuck).

13 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I think Arya could by now.  And it was mentioned how Needle was "not a real sword" and she mentioned Dark Sister specifically to Tywin when she was his cupbearer.  Dark Sister could be the final finishing element to Arya's ascension to total real warrior.

1 hour ago, ummester said:

If Jon and Dany or Arya and Gendry get together and play happy families at the end, I think I'll puke :D The only kind of weddings that have been on GoTs are failed ones

The simplest way around Jon and Dany is for them to fall in love but then realize they can't marry, for alliance and/or heir-producing reasons.

Dany starts her career being traded as a bride against her will for someone else's political benefit. Then she forges her own destiny, and it ends with her choosing to trade herself as a bride for her own political reasons for everyone's benefit. Whether that's depressing or uplifting depends on how you look at it, which seems just about right.

As for Arya and Gendry, I don't really mind that. I think because it's just so obvious that they can't end up living happily ever after and having a big brood of Baratheon lordlings that rule the Stormlands wisely for centuries. I don't think I'd be able to infer a Disney happily-ever-after ending for them even if the show literally ended on a big Disney wedding for them, so I wouldn't be able to get annoyed.

I don't think it would be Disney-esque if there are  some happy families in the end. It would still make for a bittersweet ending, based simply on what already happened to the characters, and how much they lost and witnessed- they're not going to be sweet summer children anymore, they would mourn the loss of family and their innocence for as long as they live, but they would still live and try and find happiness, the way their predecessors have. Ned didn't have a Disney-esque ending after the Robert's Rebellion, but he made the best of what he had, before the events in GoT have taken place, despite losing most of his family and having to marry the woman he hardly knew, as well as being forced to keep a secret to his sister at the expense of his honour. Others, like Robert, could never find their places and regain former glory, or like Jaime, could never live down the things they had to do, but that's what makes the series realistic- happiness is what you create out of what you're given. Daenerys has adapted to being sold like a  broodmare and living amongst savages, because she had a strong personality, she has coped with losing her husband and child, Sansa has coped with being used and abused, held hostage, threatened, and manipulated, Jon has coped with losing his first love to duty, doing the right thing and being blamed for it, they have survived that and still find happiness, and a goal to strive towards, because of who they are, not because of who they ended up with, or what happened to them.

Lord of the Rings had a bittersweet ending where the main couple did get together and lived happily, but the world as they knew it changed and they both had to sacrifice something for that happiness. 

The great thing about both series is that you come to expect the unexpected, and that includes happy as well as sad and shocking. To expect a complete and utter doom is selling the series short, imo. 

And whilst I can't imagine Arya being a lady in the way ladies are expected to be in ASOIAF universe, I don't think it's entirely impossible to have her and Gendry have a happy family, simply because circumstances change as events unfold- bastards become kings, women are taught how to fight and wildlings and the Dothraki end up south of the Wall and west of Essos. I doubt Gendry would expect her to be a proper lady that Catelyn was, nor would he know what to do with a lordship if it fell in his lap, but together, they could, potentially work as a couple, because their connection is based on what they had to go through together, and not on something fleeting and intangible, like sexual attraction. That said, I dont necessarily ship them or any other couple.

8 hours ago, Illiterati said:

Longsword is a strange description. A regular size one handed sword is called a "longsword". These are not longer than anything.  Longswords are actually "regular" swords

So Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail and Hartsbane  are longswords.

Ice was a two handed "greatsword" implying its greater size.  As is Dawn although it is not V Steel.

Longclaw is a "hand and a half" sword. So it falls in the middle size wise. 

Dark Sister though, is described as a longsword that was forged with a more slender profile that lends itself to a a female weilder.  The artist depiction in WOIAF shows the blade with a minimal guard and pommel and several fullers running nearly the length of the blade.  Those features along with the natural light weight of the V Steel would make this the perfect blade for a smaller framed weilder.

On 8/2/2017 at 4:29 AM, Lord Derrick Ümlaut said:

I wonder wat Arya's endgame is going to be. After all, she now has the abilities to "finish her list" and go for one of the big ones, which would mean Cersei. But this would ignore the 'valonquar'-prophecy. 

Maybe Sansa finds out about Littlefinger's role in Ned's execution, allowing Arya some sweet revenge, but doing away with Baelish seems more of a Sansa-storyline. 

Sure she took out the Freys, but from the people that actually set in motion her storyline, she only really has had to settle for doing away with some minor henchmen. 

Edit: Ilyn Payne is still an option, although he's noy been mentioned on the show for quite some time. And tje audience probably doesn't care about him anymore. 

I do too and i think Arya is too intent on her list and of course she doesn't know the bigger picture (but hey apart from Jon and his crew, no one does lol).  Okay, what I am going to speculate about (not predict and certainly not until final ep next season) is that Arya could kill a WW and take the "face" (or lack thereof) and infiltrate the NK's inner circle...  Of course we have not been told the extend of their magic or motivations or very much about them tbh.  Now if crossing off NK was her final endgame that would be awesome but would leave the rest of the characters looking pretty much redundant...  So, it cannot be so simple.  She may play a part with her abilities to turn into anyone she has killed though...

I would find it a bit anticlimatic if Arya killed Cersei.  Not impossible but I think that is Jaime's job, even Tyrion would make more sense than Arya.  Yes, Joffrey killed Ned, Cersei, nasty as she is, considered him a political hostage and "voted" against it.  Then again, Arya is an angry girl (with reasons of course) who doesn't need a specific danger,or quarrel with someone, to kill them.  She has been imparting "justice" where she feels it is needed.  Still, she has done enough of that already and I feel, like with Tyrion that she has a three phase arc and that she will calm herself down a bit before all is over.  I think bumping into the Brotherhood and Sandor may be instrumental in that (and I have hopes for it in the next episode tonight!)

I think Cersei is Jaime's to kill (despite him annoying the hell out of me this season, but the actor's body language is not the same as his words and actions...) or Tyrion's even.  

LF is Sansa's, or Sansa with help! (my vote is on Tyrion but the more the merrier lol) LF not only betrayed Ned, but more or less kidnapped Sansa (by making her leave okay her imprisonment but she has now told Jon that Tyrion was good to her) and she sees through LF, although I think she is bidding her time.  SH

e has some evidence that she can share with a powerful ally but too risky otherwise.  She knows Dontos got killed, how and by whom;, that Dontos was a pawn, that she was a pawn and to a degree Tyrion (both him and her were left "carrying the can" for Joffrey's assassination...Once those two meet again (and it is inevitable, as everyone will end up "camping up" in WF) and they get talking, LF is in a bit of trouble...  Jon and Arya and even more people may join them lol.  Also, the Lords of the Vale... Sansa knows how Lysa died... has to be Sansa, even if she doesn't swing the sword...  I would love for this to go pretty much "Murder in the Orient Express" style. lol bring Sweet Robin in too!

1 hour ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

Longsword is a strange description. A regular size one handed sword is called a "longsword". These are not longer than anything.  Longswords are actually "regular" swords

Ice was a two handed "greatsword" implying its greater size.  As is Dawn although it is not V Steel.

Dark Sister though, is described as a longsword that was forged with a more slender profile that lends itself to a a female weilder.  The artist depiction in WOIAF shows the blade with a minimal guard and pommel and several fullers running nearly the length of the blade.  Those features along with the natural light weight of the V Steel would make this the perfect blade for a smaller framed weilder.

curiously, a "hand and an half sword" (such as long claw) is also called a "bastard sword".  I was wondering if Martin's thought about that.... (because he is him...I guess so...)

This is the episode where we get the rumored Dothraki battle, right? If so, I assume it's against Jaime bringing the spoils back from Highgarden.

And here are some specific predictions for the battle. I'm sure they'll get a few things right and I won't be 100%, but I expect to be at least 80%.

• None of Dany's sellswords will be there, because combined arms isn't a thing (except for dragon air support, the one kind of combined-arms tactic nobody has actually trained in for a century).
  • The Dothraki will charge directly at a line of set shields and spears despite the line being broken and/or the flanks being open. At least twice.
  • The Dothraki will dismount and fight on foot after breaking through, rather than rounding on the enemy as cavalry, except for a handful to give Jaime and Bronn someone to fight.
  • The Dothraki who do stay on horseback will chase broken units fleeing mid-battle.
  • But nobody will chase the fleeing units at the end, which is how Jaime and Bronn escape. (I assume Tarly and his son will still be in Highgarden, but if not, them too.)
  • The Dothraki will not use their horse archers until after they've already broken through the front line and their people are in the melee, but a wall of arrows will somehow not hit any of their own men.
  • The Lannister archers will not fire at the charging horde as soon as it comes into range, or at the horse archers, but there will be some later useless volleys aimed at where there shouldn't even be anyone but inexplicably is.
  • There will be long stretches where Jaime just stands around, with fights going on 10 feet away but everyone courteously not bothering him.

And a couple more that only apply if Dany shows up to lead:

• She will not use Drogon to create a break in the line at the start (or, better, multiple breaks), when it would do the most good; instead, she'll wait from the horsemen to break through, and then use the fire just to mop up groups that aren't in the center of the fighting, wherever it looks most dramatic.
  • Jaime will man the Smauginator, rather than, say, a trained artillerist, or at least crossbowman, because swords and scorpions are basically the same skill, right?

Im not certain which episode the reveal will be for viewers, but I predict there is some critical information that Samuel will find while copying the scrolls the archmaester tasked him with. I suspect the archmaester gave Sam the job because he wants Sam to learn something crucial, likely something important to the plot development as well.

I don't want to predict but I will say this. 

1. I want Dany to destroy the entire Lannister army, roast Jaime, and take the Tyrell gold back to Dragonstone. 
  2. I want Bronn to die.  I don't care how as long as he dies in this episode.
  3. I want Jon Snow to bend the knee.
  4. I want Dany to find more dragon eggs at Dragonstone and hatch them.
  5. I want Sansa to betray her family for Littlefinger.

29 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im not certain which episode the reveal will be for viewers, but I predict there is some critical information that Samuel will find while copying the scrolls the archmaester tasked him with. I suspect the archmaester gave Sam the job because he wants Sam to learn something crucial, likely something important to the plot development as well.

I had the same feeling when I saw the task given to Sam. My belief is that Somewhere in those decaying scrolls is the key to defeating the Night King, and he will find it when he gets through about half of them

I think that a dragon will get a bolt through the skull, but perhaps not until the finale.

Also, Cersei and Euron will continue to, by magic, win everything with their teleporting armies.

Having now seen it, time to score my predictions:

2 hours ago, falcotron said:
  • 1/1 None of Dany's sellswords
  • 2/2 The Dothraki will charge directly at a line of set shields and spears
  • 2/3 The Dothraki will dismount and fight on foot (a few did, but not most)
  • 2/4 The Dothraki who do stay on horseback will chase broken units fleeing 2/5 But nobody will chase the fleeing units at the end, which is how Jaime and Bronn escape (at least not Jaime, which is the point)
  • 3/6 The Dothraki will not use their horse archers until after they've already broken through
  • 4/7 The Lannister archers will not fire at the charging horde as soon as it comes into range
  • 5/8 There will be long stretches where Jaime just stands around, with fights going on 10 feet away but everyone courteously not bothering him.
  • 5/9 She will not use Drogon to create a break in the line at the start (they didn't just get this one right, they made it cool af)
  • 6/10 Jaime will man the Smauginator (Bronn, but same deal)

I thought they'd hit at least 80% of the obvious stupid tactical mistakes, and they only hit 60%.

Also, the battle looked a lot cooler than I expected, so I'm feeling forgiving.

Good job, D&D.

8 hours ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

I agree.  Not a bookreader.  I looked up Dark Sister in the wiki after posting that and I had a totally inaccurate image of what it was.

13 hours ago, TheSwordofTheMorning7 said:

"Longsword" has only meant a "regular" one-handed sword since the 1970s, and that's entirely because Gary Gygax got confused.

The term traditionally means exactly the same thing as "hand-and-a-half sword" and "bastard sword", and was used a lot longer than either of them. There's a bit of confusion with 19th century fencers using "longsword" to mean rapiers and epees and so on, but nobody ever used it to mean a specifically one-handed knight sword—the "long" part refers to the longer hilt so that you can grip it two-handed. But when Gygax and friends were inventing the Chainmail wargaming supplement that led to OD&D, their reference sources were confusing, and they got a lot of things wrong. (And what they did for other terms, like "broadsword", was a lot sillier.)

Anyway, everyone else just ripped off D&D—first other tabletop RPGs, then CRPGs, then hack fantasy novels, and by the end of the 20th century, more people were using it wrong than right, at which point… hey, most language changes happen for stupid reasons, so why not, a longsword now means a sword without a long hilt instead of with one. You're probably better off just not using the word.

ETA: I have no idea which meaning GRRM intends when he uses it.

Archived