Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

I'm intrigued by the claim Thanos is the focus of the film followed by Thor and Gamorra. I think they do need to land Thanos as a villain given the build-up and the track record hasn't been great so this may help a lot. 

On 3/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

I'm 99% sure the brown planet is Xandar, devastated by Thanos, with the Nova Corp destroyed. I recognized a couple of the buildings from the first Guardians film.

The green child is young Gamora and a flashback showing how Thanos came to "adopt" her, and destroyed her homeworld.

I read that Feige confirmed somewhere that the desolated planet in the trailer is Titan, Thanos' home world.

What I don’t quite get is that Thanos has the power stone in the trailer, which was shown to be able to to destroy a planet in an instant. Surely then if Thanos has such power he could make anyone explode just by touching them? Why then does he bother punching people or even having an army? Surely he could walk through anything anyone could throw at him and if for whatever reason it got to the point where he could lose, he could just touch the ground and destroy the planet.

5 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

What I don’t quite get is that Thanos has the power stone in the trailer, which was shown to be able to to destroy a planet in an instant. Surely then if Thanos has such power he could make anyone explode just by touching them? Why then does he bother punching people or even having an army? Surely he could walk through anything anyone could throw at him and if for whatever reason it got to the point where he could lose, he could just touch the ground and destroy the planet.

He probably just doesn't want to sort through all the rubble to find the the two gems that are on Earth. 

But no I think the idea is that he's supposed to not be a crazy person. He's seeking balance, not wanton destruction. It's kinda like the situation with nukes without the mutually assured destruction angle. I'm sure if he had to he'd destroy the Earth, but why bother when there's no risk of him losing anyway. 

On 3/23/2018 at 6:46 AM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Like @RumHam wrote, Thanos' motives aren't galactic domination or destruction--it's balance. He "only" wants to wipe out half of humanity. Not all of it. You know how Mad Titans be.

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Like @RumHam wrote, Thanos' motives aren't galactic domination or destruction--it's balance. He "only" wants to wipe out half of humanity. Not all of it. You know how Mad Titans be.

Ok, that explains why he doesn’t blow up the planet, but why is he punching Iron Man in the trailer? I suppose he could be toying with him.

On 3/24/2018 at 2:39 PM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Ok, that explains why he doesn’t blow up the planet, but why is he punching Iron Man in the trailer? I suppose he could be toying with him.

The fist fighting was my biggest irk with the trailer. It's also the problem I have with Dr. Strange and the Lord of the Rings. You have these beings with superpowers and they resort to hand to hand ninja fighting (or staff fighting for Gandalf and Sarumon). I know we're inevitably going to get a lot of physical fight scenes because... Hollywood. But I really hope we have some creative use of the Infinity Stone powers. 

Also, I'm going to need some more backstory about Thanos's motives. They had a bunch of movies where they could have built up his character and philosophy and they didn't. Even short monologue scenes or post-credit scenes could have made him a more fearsome villain than he is now. Right now we're TOLD that he's evil for the most part (though Nebula having her body parts replaced is kind of cool). Other than that, what have we seen from him? Him getting swindled by Ronan? It's all just a bunch of talk so far.

Don't you secretly want him to win?   It's why i got tired of mystery and crime drama- - do they really have to solve every single case?  Beat every bad guy?   Why can't one time they just throw up their hands and say I guess we're not catching the killer this week?   Oh, dammit, Thanos just blew up the Kardashians and he got away with it!   End credits.

I feel like, if you're questioning why the villain doesn't just "magic" their problems away, the film already lost you. It's comic book logic. It's the same reason why Flash, a hero who can run at the speed of light, struggles to defeat a villain with a freeze gun. I imagine Thanos' reason for not simply using one of the stones to murk everyone has some plot device associated. Plus, he's not exactly the sanest dude. Who can really explain the methods of a Mad Titan?

What we've seen of Thanos so far is actually quite pathetic. He comes across as the laziest villain in the MCU. He lost the only stone he had in Avengers. Inexplicably sent Ronan instead of one of his Black Order or daughters to grab the power stone from an abandoned planet in Guardians, and then was all whiny that he had to get up out of his chair and actually do stuff at the end of Avengers 2. Then it took him about two in-universe years to show up at the end of Thor 3. They should throw in a line about how he figured he might as well wait for Odin to die before getting started or something. 

Yeah, I can't say I'm too excited for this Thanosfest movie. The ongoing Thanos saga and the labored connections between all the movies have been my least favourite parts of the MCU. With this many characters and so lame a villain and plot (so far, at least), I'll be very surprised if this movie is good, though I'm sure it'll be at least decent, given Disney's track record with these.

Marvel released the cast list for Captain Marvel and Lee Pace and Djimon Hounsou are on it. So we will be seeing Ronan and his lackey again. Plus Coulson. Honestly this would be the prefect time to bring in Agent May from the show they wouldn't have to explain her or anything just have her be one of the Shield people standing next to Coulson. But alas, she's not on the cast list. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Marvel released the cast list for Captain Marvel and Lee Pace and Djimon Hounsou are on it. So we will be seeing Ronan and his lackey again.

Ronan's a big deal in the comics, so I was a little disappointed with him in Guardians. Be nice if they can flesh him out a little bit.

LOVING the fact that they're bringing Lee Pace back. As much as everyone loves GotG, I re-watched the movie this past weekend, and I gotta say that it left me wanting. One problem I had was the treatment of Ronan. Here's hoping Captain Marvel adds some more meat to his character. He was such a missed opportunity. And great to see Coulson back, too!

Keep in mind, Captain Marvel is based in the 90s, which is why we're getting Ronan and Coulson. We'll probably see the period in which Ronan became a radical.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Marvel released the cast list for Captain Marvel and Lee Pace and Djimon Hounsou are on it. So we will be seeing Ronan and his lackey again. Plus Coulson. Honestly this would be the prefect time to bring in Agent May from the show they wouldn't have to explain her or anything just have her be one of the Shield people standing next to Coulson. But alas, she's not on the cast list. 

Yuss!! Ronan the Accuser: The Early Years is something I can get behind. I loved Lee Pace's performance in GotG v1. 

Heartily agree having Agent May in the film would be awesome. But I guess Couslon will have to be enough. :/

I think the best AoS nod we can hope for is that maybe Clark Gregg sneaks a little toy Lola onto his desk or something. Just some tiny trinket that AoS fans can hold onto. That’s best case ... worst case, Coulson learns too much about the Kree and AoS no longer makes sense. :unsure:

On 3/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, RumHam said:

Also, in 1995 Agent May would probably be a snarky teen. 

14 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I think the best AoS nod we can hope for is that maybe Clark Gregg sneaks a little toy Lola onto his desk or something. Just some tiny trinket that AoS fans can hold onto. That’s best case ... worst case, Coulson learns too much about the Kree and AoS no longer makes sense. :unsure:

I am hoping that Carol Danvers departure from Earth comes as a bit of a surprise to Coulsen and Fury. And that they are only in the movie for part of Act 1. 

55 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Three years away from voicing Mulan, so I reckon she'd be fine.

I'm talking about Agent May, not Ming-Na Wen. In my mind Agent May is about 35 years old at most. Which means in 1995 she's 17/18. Coulsen is late 40s, so in 1995 he's mid twenties at the least. Fury is well into his fifties at the current time.

Ming-Na Wen is ridiculously youthful looking and could basically play anyone from mid-twenties up to her irl age. It's so unfair. I looked at her imdb page and got so depressed that she's 6 years older than me but could easily pass for 10 years younger. Bad enough that my wife is 3 years older but everyone assumes I'm the older one, even people who've known us for ages.

I do wish she'd landed a bigger gig in the MCU, and I reckon she was possibly tempted (duped?) into AoS on a wink and a nod that she could wind up in the movies as a peer to Agent Hill.

If they did a prequel movie for Black Widow, it would be cool if she put in an appearance there. But as unlikely as would be her appearance in Captain Marvel.

Archived