Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

Homer's Enemy is excellent (I forgot about the awesome subplot of Bart as a "factory" owner). The sequel episode not so much. 

I wish I could say that "the Simpsons should have ended at least 10 years ago" is an unpopular opinion, but it seems to be only the case amongst Fox executives. 

3 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I love that song.  I really enjoy that cheesy pop like that.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I am not a huge fan of Will Ferrell.  I really like Anchorman 1 & 2, but the rest of his starring role movies I do not like.  Even his stint on SNL I didn't care for him as much as some of the others at that time.

Even though I will admit, his Bush impression is fantastic and the one man show he did as Bush was great.

Totally agree on Will Ferrell. My wife loves him, me, ehh hit and miss.

36 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Okay, well here's one:

I didn't like Avengers: Infinity Wars.

I'm just a bit over watching 2-hour trailers for the next film.

Did you feel the same about LOTR? I did. I thought the first two movies were just horrible garbage, especially the first one.

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Man, that first movie it seemed like nothing happened. Like nothiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg.  I remember thinking what was all the hype about? Now, understand I have never read one of the books so I may have a different POV than most here.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:44 PM, Veltigar said:

Alien is boring, long live Aliens! 

The only reason that justifies Blade Runner's existence is the incredible sequel we got out of it so many years later.

Superhero films are pretty much always bad to mediocre.

The Dark Knight isn't a great film, it's a great performance by one man. 

The Royal Wedding is a blasphemous fuck you towards all the struggling people everywhere.

AFFC is the best book in the series

The Last Jedi was better than all the SW films since Empire

#1 & #2 : Strongly disagree

#3 & #4 : mildly disagree

#5 : I don't know what "blasphemous" means in this context.

#6 & #7 : Somewhat agree.  Both AFFC and TLJ get better the second and third time around although I still think AFFC is a bit too long.

45 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Okay, well here's one:

I didn't like Avengers: Infinity Wars.

I'm just a bit over watching 2-hour trailers for the next film.

As of right now, there are 1.9 billion reasons why this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think Infinity war is a very good movie.  Don't get me wrong; there's a lot to like.  The action sequences were great, seeing some of the characters come together for the first time was also good.  Then there was the bad:

Spoiler

Tony Stark "taking the fight to Thanos" when there are only three of them and they have no idea where the alien ship is going.  There could be a billion soldiers at the other end.  There might not even be oxygen at the other end.  This is also moments after Bruce Banner tells Tony that Thanos is, like, "the most powerful being in the universe".  Also, Time stone.

Killing off all the Asgardians before the opening of the film when the entire third act of the previous film is dedicated rescuing their asses.

Thor taking some bullshit detour for Peter Dinklage to forge him a new hammer when, in the previous film, they established he's crazy powerful without it.

Thanos torturing complicated-relationship sister or getting him one step closer to a power that kills half the universe?  Gee, I don't know...

Thanos wildly fluctiating power levels.  He destroys the Hulk easily, and this is after he lets Hulk wail on him for a bit.  Later, when he has the reality stone, he defeats the Guardians  by turning one into spaghetti and another into legos.  How is it that the battle on Titan wasn't over in 2 seconds?  Sequel, that's why.

I could go on.

While I'm at it: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 was rubbish and Thor: Ragnarok was massively over praised.  Seriously, The Hulk scenes in that movie are about 20 minutes total.  You take him out, there's not much there.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

As of right now, there are 1.9 billion reasons why this is an unpopular opinion...

Hide contents

Also, Time stone.

I have a feeling that

the time stone was there as a big flashing beacon to say, "Guess what? None of these people are staying dead! Find out next movie how time is reversed to save everyone! Yay for time travel!"

32 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I have a feeling that

Hide contents

the time stone was there as a big flashing beacon to say, "Guess what? None of these people are staying dead! Find out next movie how time is reversed to save everyone! Yay for time travel!"

Yeah, I think that's obvious.  It still doesn't change the fact that time and again, incoherent and idiotic things happen in order to service the plot. Speaking of which:

Spoiler

The Hulk Buster armor that Banner used in the big fight; did they ever establish how it found its way to Wakanda?  Tony Stark has never been there and he was light years away when the rest of the gang made the trip.  Did they just roll up on Pepper Pots and say "Give us the keys to the Hulk Buster armor because why not"?  While they were at it, why didn't Black Widow get one?

Like I said, there's a lot to like about this film, but it was so incoherent, you add a few upskirt shots, some racist stereotypes and toilet humor and you have a Transformers film.

Also:

Spoiler

The Red Skull cameo was totally pathetic.

5 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, I think that's obvious.  It still doesn't change the fact that time and again, incoherent and idiotic things happen in order to service the plot. Speaking of which:

Hide contents

The Hulk Buster armor that Banner used in the big fight; did they ever establish how it found its way to Wakanda?  Tony Stark has never been there and he was light years away when the rest of the gang made the trip.  Did they just roll up on Pepper Pots and say "Give us the keys to the Hulk Buster armor because why not"?  While they were at it, why didn't Black Widow get one?

Like I said, there's a lot to like about this film, but it was so incoherent, you add a few upskirt shots, some racist stereotypes and toilet humor and you have a Transformers film.

Also:

Reveal hidden contents

I'd probably like it more if it wasn't the first film to have had such flaws. As it is, it feels as though each movie is more or the less the one I saw last time, with a new cliffhanger and just as little development.

It's the same flaw with the most recent Star Wars fan-fiction: the protagonists face a problem. Then, seconds later, they solve it. No matter how illogical. And villains can be essentially god-like in power one moment and then vulnerable and pathetic the next.

Superhero movies need to go away for a decade or two. I find some of them entertaining, and I'm glad one of the speculative fiction genres has reached this level of popularity, but too much is too much.

I actually like Riddick movies.

Gladiator was garbage.

Full Metal Jacket was Kubrick's best movie, and the first and the last part are both great. Its main theme, about military and war turning people into killers, remains powerful every time I watch it.

I'm not sure if it's really that unpopular of an opinion (given that the show is still a ratings success), but I don't think The Simpsons ever went "bad". Even now, it very rarely produces a truly bad episode - at worst, the episodes are maybe worth a chuckle or two and then immediately forgotten, and there are tons of episodes past Season 8 that I loved.

I don't even think Season 8 was much of a transition between a "Golden Age" and "What Came After". The show's overall best season is still Season 4, but after that it only declined slowly in quality all the way through Season 12 before declining somewhat more severely - and that decline wasn't because there weren't good episodes. It was because there were just fewer of them amidst the mediocre ones.

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

I'd probably like it more if it wasn't the first film to have had such flaws. As it is, it feels as though each movie is more or the less the one I saw last time, with a new cliffhanger and just as little development.

It's the same flaw with the most recent Star Wars fan-fiction: the protagonists face a problem. Then, seconds later, they solve it. No matter how illogical. And villains can be essentially god-like in power one moment and then vulnerable and pathetic the next.

For me, when I find stuff I like I'll tend to revisit it from time to time, whether its something of quality or a guilty pleasure. With the exception of Captain America Civil War, and maybe the first two avengers films (Age of Ultron has grown on me a bit) none of the MCU stuff does that for me.  It's usually enjoyable on the initial viewing, maybe I'll see it again on home video and that's it.  Even if I was channel surfing and one of them was on TV I wouldn't stop to watch it.  Ant Man in particular was a truly mediocre film.  I kind of liked the direction they took with it but on top of it just not being very interesting, it has its continuity issues.  The whole mass-preservation principal they establish is very ad-hoc.  AS the HISHE video pointed out, the tank on Hank Pym's keychain should have weighed 60 tons.

I'm not familiar with the Star wars fan films, but I like the tie-fighter and darth maul short films.  Not much narrative there though.

6 hours ago, Yukle said:

Oh? I'm always told it was stupid.

There’s two episodes that aren’t actually bad, but signify a change in writing style that ushers in the massive drop in quality; this one, and The Principal and the Pauper (where Skinner turns out to be Armin Tamzarian). They’re both funny, but the Grimes episode starts to poke fun at the show itself which ultimately leads to it being the parody it is now. The Principal and the Pauper starts messing with the characters long term, which leads to sober Barney, and worst of all, Jerk Ass Homer.

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

Superhero movies need to go away for a decade or two. I find some of them entertaining, and I'm glad one of the speculative fiction genres has reached this level of popularity, but too much is too much.

I actually like Riddick movies.

Gladiator was garbage.

Full Metal Jacket was Kubrick's best movie, and the first and the last part are both great. Its main theme, about military and war turning people into killers, remains powerful every time I watch it.

Pitch black was great.  They kind jumped the shark with Riddick 2. 3 was OK.

There's a channel in Canada (Bravo I think) that literally plays Gladiator like 2 or 3 times a month and has done for years.  My problem with it is that I've seen it too many times. Also, that ground has been covered since then with way more interesting stuff.  The HBO series ROME for example. Spartacus was also cool in a pulp sort of way.  Gladiator is still interesting in the context of historical fiction, given where in history they place it.

Dr. Strangelove gets better every time I see it.  To put that out in the 60's, at the height of the cold war? Respect.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I LOVE Infinity War, which is not an unpopular opinion, I know.  What might be more controversial is that I don't really see that many flaws in it.  And re the above Hidden content:

Spoiler

I assumed Rhodey, Bruce et al brought that with them from the Avengers complex, just in case.  Bruce has told them that Thanos has beaten the Hulk, and Tony did pound on the Hulk with the Hulkbuster Armour in AoU - so it seems like a good thing to have!

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

Really going to toss one out there. I like a song by Miley Cyrus and it's probably the worst most pop song ever, Party in the USA. I don't know why but whenever I hear that damn thing I leave it on the radio and turn it up.

Please don't judge too harshly. I admit this while listening to Metallica - Damage Inc.             go figure...

Miley Cyrus has some decent songs, actually.

Unpopular opinion while I'm here? Malibu by Miley Cyrus was the best song to come out of 2017.

7 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I LOVE Infinity War, which is not an unpopular opinion, I know.  What might be more controversial is that I don't really see that many flaws in it.  And re the above Hidden content:

Hide contents

I assumed Rhodey, Bruce et al brought that with them from the Avengers complex, just in case.  Bruce has told them that Thanos has beaten the Hulk, and Tony did pound on the Hulk with the Hulkbuster Armour in AoU - so it seems like a good thing to have!

Yeah, that was a relatively minor complaint.  I articulated more significant ones in an earlier post. And Ill say agin, there is a lot to like about it.  Still,

Spoiler

Why not put Rhodey in the thing?  You know, the guy with actual familiarity with armored suits and who has actual combat experience.

5 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Miley Cyrus has some decent songs, actually.

Unpopular opinion while I'm here? Malibu by Miley Cyrus was the best song to come out of 2017.

I like a few songs by Miley Cyrus and think she has a really good voice 

Archived