All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, but they didn't ask GRRM to do it, they asked the guys who adapted the material instead, and whose script quality plummeted the second they no longer had source material to work from.

And became even more popular than before. 

I mean, really, 'script quality' is probably not the primary factor in determining the success of a Star Wars story. 

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

I think D&D are very solid and strong producers. Setting up and running the immense juggernaut that is the GoT production carnival every year for nine years is a huge achievement, and they've shown good judgement in choosing collaborators, directors, casting directors etc. But as actual writers of original, new material both are almost unproven, their only credits in that area being so-so novels, the most recent of which was written over a decade ago.

My suspicion is that it's far harder to be a producer of Star Wars stuff than it is to write it. The stories and universe isn't exactly rocket science. 

38 minutes ago, كالدب said:

I mean, really, 'script quality' is probably not the primary factor in determining the success of a Star Wars story. 

My suspicion is that it's far harder to be a producer of Star Wars stuff than it is to write it. The stories and universe isn't exactly rocket science. 

Yes, the low bar for writing Star Wars was set by Lucas himself, and D&D can probably pass that.

But I agree with Wert that their strength lies in producing. GoT became a huge undertaking, too, with multiple on location film sets, a big cast, increasingly complex VFX, and they had to convince HBO to give them the money they needed for all of this. I think they could handle the production side.

Well, sure - their strength is in producing, but they also have a very, very good track record of taking script to shoot and creating visually excellent and compelling things. I get that there are a lot of people who don't like them - just like JJ Abrams - but the idea that it's so preposterous that they'd get the job given how successful they've been - especially with a show that requires so much sfx work and imaging and fantastical elements taken seriously - is ridiculous. 

Agreed on not understanding the D&D bashing. They've taken a huge incomplete opus and boiled it down to fit a new medium. TBH, I'm glad they came and did what they've done. I'd rather their version of the end of SoIaF over no end at all. And yes, that includes the writing. It's not Black Sails, Rome, Deadwood, etc quality dialog, but most tv isn't either. It's still fun television.

Looking forward to their take on Star Wars. 

but they also have a very, very good track record of taking script to shoot

They have a very good track record of taking someone else's story and turning it into a script to shoot, whether that's GRRM, the Halo writers, Khaled Hosseini, Marvel comics writers or, er, Homer. They have a considerably less-proven track record when it comes to writing a whole new story from scratch. The last project they created from scratch was so terrible and ill-conceived that it seemed to seriously piss off HBO (who had to do some serious marketing repair work), who were afterwards quite happy to see them go off and do something else.

That feels like giving HBO way too little blame for what happened. It was their PR department that botched the release of details, and did it right in close proximity to events in the nation that had stirred a lot of emotion. HBO was the one that misjudged the timing and the response. They should have waited until much more could be revealed, and where they could have positioned the co-producers as a primary voice rather than a secondary one.

50 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They have a very good track record of taking someone else's story and turning it into a script to shoot, whether that's GRRM, the Halo writers, Khaled Hosseini, Marvel comics writers or, er, Homer. They have a considerably less-proven track record when it comes to writing a whole new story from scratch. The last project they created from scratch was so terrible and ill-conceived that it seemed to seriously piss off HBO (who had to do some serious marketing repair work), who were afterwards quite happy to see them go off and do something else.

My suspicion is that they're not going to be writing a whole new story from scratch - or at least, not any more than Season 6 and 7 of GoT was. 

19 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

First, it's not clear the ask is for 3+ films, is it?  Second, even if they are doing another trilogy or some such, I'd be worried about their long-term commitment.  It clearly waned with GoT.  And I'm not even one of their haters, but reading between the lines it was apparent in interviews they wanted to expedite the finish to a show that made their careers.

It's a series of films so I think 3+ films is a fair estimate as they usual say trilogy (eg Rian Johnson announcement)

I'm sure they lost some interest in the show when they were lumbered with finishing a massively popular adaptation where the source material isn't complete.

I think as long as D&B aren't writing the show and grab a great writing team it will have a lot of potential. If it's all them then I'm as worried as the rest of the naysayers.

I think star wars going forward really needs a strong writing team and actual vision going forward. So having something like a Grrm level plan but by a TV writer who can actually finish a project. There's plenty of candidates out there. As someone mentioned, Dave Filonis, should at least be at the table regarding star wars continuity, world building and mythology. Maybe akin to Feige but more story and less production focused. Filoni with D&B as producers would be a good combo.

The TV show is probably in safe hands with favreau and I'm guessing it's more they are taking the TV show seriously when he'd be a more obvious film choice

I think Disney thought they could get away with the MCU approach but it's not really applicable to star wars. For one the MCU is set in present day earth saving a lot of development and writing as we all know how our world is (or at least the Hollywood version). 

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I wouldn't really include X-Men origins Wolverine as an example of their skill in adapting source material. Given it wasn't really based on any comic I'd use it as evidence of them being rubbish in the "start from scratch" writing.

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

I can't concede that "Troy" is anything but a bad job.  Indeed, I could make a case that if you can botch Homer, you can f. up anything.  

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Has anyone seen the Auralnauts episode 1-6 parodies?  Brilliant.

Very patchy. The good jokes are excellent ("What are you using on this table? That sheen is ridiculous. Wood polish? Send some back with Maul,") but the bad jokes are really, really awful, and the whole thing descends into tediously long and unfunny music videos for no particular reason on a fairly regular basis.

Good Star Wars parodies are surprisingly thin on the ground. Troops is great, some of the Robot Chicken stuff is good, the first Family Guy is amusing but the latter two get repetitive, and Darths and Droids started out well and then fell off a cliff (if you're taking inspiration from DM of the Rings, remember that comic only took 150 comics to do the entire trilogy, not over a thousand to do six movies). The Bad Lip Synching music videos are also excellent.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Very patchy. The good jokes are excellent ("What are you using on this table? That sheen is ridiculous. Wood polish? Send some back with Maul,") but the bad jokes are really, really awful, and the whole thing descends into tediously long and unfunny music videos for no particular reason on a fairly regular basis.

Good Star Wars parodies are surprisingly thin on the ground. Troops is great, some of the Robot Chicken stuff is good, the first Family Guy is amusing but the latter two get repetitive, and Darths and Droids started out well and then fell off a cliff (if you're taking inspiration from DM of the Rings, remember that comic only took 150 comics to do the entire trilogy, not over a thousand to do six movies). The Bad Lip Synching music videos are also excellent.

There's room in my heart for both.

SEAGULLS!

23 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Has anyone seen the Auralnauts episode 1-6 parodies?  Brilliant.

Love em but their Kylo Ren videos are better.  He reviews Force Awakens, Rogue One, Last Jedi, and Solo but the better ones are him playing for Honor with Bane and Optimus Prime.  Just gold.

Archived