Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Prequel

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Preach!

49 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Hell I thought the original was bad, I can't imagine it getting worse

The first one wasn’t really good or bad in my view. It took a big swing at a unique idea and it landed flat, but it was enjoyable enough. I was hoping they would correct the problems with the second one, but nope, it was worse in every appreciable way, and that acting was truly dreadful. I’m starting to wonder if John Boyega was a one hit wonder. I haven’t seen him be good in anything outside of The Force Awakens.

1 minute ago, chiKanery et al. said:

The first one wasn’t really good or bad in my view. It took a big swing at a unique idea and it landed flat, but it was enjoyable enough. I was hoping they would correct the problems with the second one, but nope, it was worse in every appreciable way, and that acting was truly dreadful. I’m starting to wonder if John Boyega was a one hit wonder. I haven’t seen him be good in anything outside of The Force Awakens.

But was he actually good in that?

1 hour ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Clint Eastwood's kid was acting like his face hurt.

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Perhaps not.

21 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Clint Eastwood's kid was acting like his face hurt.

He was like that in Suicide Squad too.  

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Hell I thought the original was bad, I can't imagine it getting worse

My friend and I did a re-watch where we fast forwarded past every scene that wasn't a robot fight. Definitely the way to watch these movies. Short, easy, efficient. And you dont deal with all that dreadful dialogue.

Posted (edited)

Watched Donnie Darko the other night for the first time in years.  Love that shit.  Still have 80s music in my head.  I think what stands out for me in that movie is the dialogue.  Plus, "sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!!"

ETA:  Oh, also saw (Jackson's) King Kong, and it got me wondering - you couldn't really do a King Kong in a modern age, could you?  Like, wouldn't the people coming after him/searching the island just use drones?

Edited by DMBouazizi

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DMBouazizi said:

ETA:  Oh, also saw (Jackson's) King Kong, and it got me wondering - you couldn't really do a King Kong in a modern age, could you?  Like, wouldn't the people coming after him/searching the island just use drones?

Did you see Kong: Skull Island? That one takes place right at the end of the Vietnam War.

Spoiler

The island is discovered thanks to still relatively new satellite tech, but some magical permanent storm system surrounding the island is what kept it being discovered before, and it is dangerous to get to it.

For a movie set in modern times, all they would have to do is create another challenge that modern tech on its own couldn't overcome. Like, put the island in a parallel dimension, and have the characters stumble upon it. :dunno: 

Edited by Corvinus of Teranga

19 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Did you see Kong: Skull Island? That one takes place right at the end of the Vietnam War.

Hide contents

The island is discovered thanks to still relatively new satellite tech, but some magical permanent storm system surrounding the island is what kept it being discovered before, and it is dangerous to get to it.

For a movie set in modern times, all they would have to do is create another challenge that modern tech on its own could overcome. Like, put the island in a parallel dimension, and have the characters stumble upon it. :dunno: 

Or a magnetic field that throws drones off? Plus some type of heat detection blockers....

26 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I did, that was kinda my point.  Even the "obstacle" in that could be overcome by drones.  Once there's flying robots, the rationale doesn't really work.

21 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

I did, that was kinda my point.  Even the "obstacle" in that could be overcome by drones.  Once there's flying robots, the rationale doesn't really work.

Well he will be set in modern (and possibly future) times when we get that King Kong, Godzilla, Pacific Rim mashup movie.

2 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Watched Donnie Darko the other night for the first time in years.  Love that shit.  Still have 80s music in my head.  I think what stands out for me in that movie is the dialogue.  Plus, "sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!!"

It is a shame Richard Kelly seems to have turned into a one-hit wonder, I really liked the film. It been a few years since I saw it, so now I'm tempted to watch it again.

13 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It is a shame Richard Kelly seems to have turned into a one-hit wonder

Yeah tried to read up on him afterwards but wasn't much there.  Just seemed bitter he didn't own the property.

5 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I thought he was good in Attack the Block. 

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yes. 

I tried watching Sens8 last night but I could only manage 40 minutes before turning it off. By that point I felt like it had been on for at least two hours. :rolleyes: Ensemble casts don't really do it for me unless there's a strong narrative, which I wasn't getting here. It was painful.

On a brighter note, I watched Safe (Netflix) and thought it was pretty good, very engaging, kept you guessing as to who did what and I especially enjoyed the little Usual Suspects-eque montage post-reveal. But seriously, does anyone think that gated communities are a genuinely good idea?

Now I'm giving the original Fargo a rewatch because I think that I must have either not watched it properly the first time round, or not paid it full attention or just been too young to appreciate its qualities. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 8:21 AM, dbunting said:

Started Dark on Netflix yesterday, three episodes in and I am liking it. Has a feel of Stranger Things meets It?

Show gets a lot better starting around episode four too, so you've got that to look forward to.  The stretch from like episode four to episode eight is incredible.

Edited by briantw

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Lucifer picked up by netflix for 4th series :)

That's been known for almost 2 weeks now.

22 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I've never heard of that. 

His best film. He has a very stoic performance in it, but overall the best film he's been in, IMO.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Show gets a lot better starting around episode four too, so you've got that to look forward to.  The stretch from like episode four to episode eight is incredible.

Good to know. I think I see the one obvious "mystery"..

Spoiler

I assume the hooded stranger is the kid who just went missing. He showed up in 1986 time frame and I assume he has been there every since? I will find out soon enough I am sure. Wait, that would make him 40+...nevermind. At 40+ he could be the friends dad, the one who killed himself? I am going on a bit but I can't discuss this in the Dark thread since it has spoilers.

Haven't had a chance to watch it since Sunday.