U.S. Politics-Hope Floats 2: We All Float Down Here

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, mcbigski said:

Almost certainly if that was during the previous administration.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if goal posts were suddenly moved and nothing mattered anymore.

--Try again, Trump and Sessions own the separation and incarceration of children 100%. That's not to say that Obama was entirely a dove -- but holy fuck is that a dishonest statement.

58 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

So, it’s been revealed that Trump’s G6 blow-up was about him insisting that everyone agree to hand over the Crimea to Putin. 

Apparently when they refused he got very angry, and then threatened to make financial demands of NATO allies if they haven’t come around by the time of the next NATO summit. 

Agreed, a citation would be nice. Can't find any. But you know what, it doesn't strain credulity.  

9 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

From the transcripts, I believe the easiest source is Axios, but anyway here’s someone touching on it, around 1:45.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzNzNM6iG0

That youtube clip isn't a real source dude.  As for Axios, gotta be more specific - and if this actually was nailed down it'd be on the top.  Searched google and I can't find anything man.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Can I ask a question?

Why is it everyone always tells Democrats they always got to be more moderate.

Meanwhile, Republicans constantly bicker and argue with each other about who is more conservative.

Why does the moderation advice always apply to Democrats, but not to Republicans?

Anyone know?

Bueller? Bueller?

Because you touch yourself at night.

This went under the radar. 

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/02/15/we-must-secure-border-and-build-wall-make-america-safe-again

This is a nazi dog whistle. 14/88 to be exact.

The headline is 14 words, and it's way too similair to the 14 words that neo nazis cherish.

The headline here begings with "We must secure..." The entire 14 word headline is " We Must Secure The Boder and Build The Wall Too Make America Safe Again.

The 14 words neo nazis adhere to are "We Must Secure The Existence Of Our People And A Future For White Children.'

Given how this administration targets immigrants and refugees from Latin America mostly, and people of color from Africa and Asia while also very rarely detaining people from Europe or Canada, it's evident make america safe again means keep it mostly white and stop letting in people of color. 

The 88 that shows up is in the second to last bullet point saying: "On average, out of 88 claims that pass the credible fear screaning, fewer than 13 will ultimately result in a grant of asylum."

The 8th letter in the alphabet is H. 88 = HH, and HH = Heil Hitler.

There is zero chance the 88 is a coincidence.  The 88 at the bottom of the page is not a precise statistic, They say out of "88 applications, fewer than 13..." there is absolutely no reason for it not to be out of 90, or out of 100. 

This is one big fucking nazi dog whistle.

Another person, Steve Schmidt, has backed up a comment that Ivana Trump made in 1990 in a Vaniety Fair interview, about how Trump has a book of Hitler's speeches that he kept next to his bed. 

Trump has called nazis and white supremacists very fine people after Charlottesville. 

He had Gorka in his administration and Gorka has ties to a nazi linked group. He made them really proud by wearing the Order of Vitéz medal.

But hey, civility will work with these people yea?

11 hours ago, كالدب said:

I don't want to ignore it, but them telling the people who are living here that they are feeling things wrongly and doing the wrong thing is bullshit. They don't have as much skin in the game as the people living here do.

We're all the heroes of our own narrative I suppose, but you really take that shit to the next level. You have zero idea how much "skin" other people might have, and your assumption that you DO know is just you dutch-ovening yourself and loving it. 

Edit - In general I have no idea why this is even a topic of conversation. Honestly. If all "expats" ever did was post on here about how everyone is a loser and should do more while doing nothing themselves, you might have a point. Clearly, that is not the case. 

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

There is zero chance the 88 is a coincidence.  The 88 at the bottom of the page is not a precise statistic, They say out of "88 applications, fewer than 13..." there is absolutely no reason for it not to be out of 90, or out of 100. 

This is one big fucking nazi dog whistle.

Oh yeah, sure, everyone knows that the standard number to use in a statistic is 88, who on earth would list out of a multiple of 10? That could be construed as metric or something!

I'd seen the 14 at the top already on twitter and already thought that was undeniable, but the 88 really fucking takes the cake.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

We can't embed again?

There's a problem with the cURL module on the server that we have not yet fixed. It's necessary for embedding. Once cURL is fixed, embedding should work.

Hope to get it sorted out this weekend. There may be some downtime that goes along with it

8 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Yes, I can, despite the fact that my history is blurry; a consequence of my corroding brain. I seem to recall that there was this big fire at the Reichstag very soon after Hitler became chancellor, and that Hitler used it as a pretext to press the senile Hindenburg to suspend all civil liberties.

Following this all the communist delegates in the Reichstag were arrested, giving the Nazis the majority they had not been able to win in the elections. The Nazis used this majority to pass the enabling act, which accorded to Hitler the right to make law without the consent of the Reichstag for four years. Very soon after (July 1933) the Nazis were declared the only legal party in Germany and all other parties were encouraged to disband. Opposition leaders were at this time already being sent to concentration camps. 

So it took approximately six months for German democracy to be totally annihilated. It was swift and it was obvious.

I was contemplating the Reichstag fire when I posted the question, and it's true that an event of such magnitude hasn't happened (yet) in the U.S. But did the German population at large in the days following the fire already feel "this is it"? From today's perspective it's definitely fairly easy to pinpoint that moment as the firing of the starter pistol, but I think the benefit of hindsight helps. I would not be surprised at all if many average people at the time tried to rationalize away the subsequent Nazi actions one by one ("it's a state of emergency", "it's just a security measure", etc.), because people generally want to believe that things are still normal. We may one day pinpoint a particular moment for the U.S. that may have already passed, the significance of which is currently still debatable (separating kids from their parents and putting them in cages is probably a strong candidate). 

You're also correct that the Nazis moved swifter than the Trump administration has so far in completely abolishing democracy. However, as you point out, they lacked an overall majority (due to Germany's more pluralistic electoral system), so they had to move faster when the opportunity presented itself. The Republicans, on the other hand, are in complete control of at least two of the three federal branches of government at the moment, and with Kennedy's retirement they will get a stanglehold on the third one as well, so there is no urgency yet for them to move as quickly as the Nazis did. We'll see what happens if the Democrats recapture the House in the mid-terms and/or when Mueller releases his findings...

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Not entirely sure but maybe because republicans tend to run as who they are and democrats tend to 'evolve' once they get power.

Out of curiosity, do you have any examples of that beyond Obama's stance on marriage equality? Considering how large chunks of the population fairly rapidly evolved on that issue as well over a few years, especially the Democrats' natural base, I don't think this would be a great example. If anything, Obama started to get criticized for not evolving fast enough on it and had to be pushed in that direction.

Also, I'd still appreciate it if you could respond to my post about what makes you label universities, charities, and bureaucrats as liberal. I get that this is a common soundbite on the right, but it'd be nice if you could put a bit more meat on those bones. I expect that we won't agree, but a frequent complaint from conservatives seems to be that liberals don't listen to them, so this 'liberal' here is willing to listen to your point of view, provided that you are willing to engage in a sincere and open-minded discussion.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Which would also explain a lot of the anti trump hysteria on the left.  I don't think anyone picketed The Apprentice for his Nazi beliefs but now he s seen as literally Hitler^666.

Trump is an incompetent and ignorant moron. It's as simple as that.

And it's not just people on the left that have issues with him.

Remember George Will, Mr. Republican himself, left the Republican Party over Trump. And he is not the only rightly that has issues with Trump.

Lol people still think its just hysteria to be against trump.

And yea, he's seen as enacting similair shit that Hitler did, because it's just that, similair. The rhetoric is similair, the demonizing marginalized demographics is similair, he's building concentration camps, he brought out families of murder victims to justify his bigoted policies and concentration camps like Hitler did when demonizing the jews.  He attacks the press the way Hitler did. His ex wife Ivana and Steve Schmidt both talked about how he only really read Hitler's speeches and had a book of them next to his bed and praised him, along with other dictators. 

It's just amazing how moderates and conservatives are just oblivious to this and flat out just clueless as to how fascism actually rises. 

And btw, is it just hysteria for holocaust survivors to be scared shitless about this and talking about how it feels all too similair? 

Oh wait, your white american ass knows better than people that were targeted by a dictator that committed genocide.

Totally don't have others that lived under a dictator like the Filipino woman who's tweets I copied and pasted to here .

Everyone sees it but white moderates and conservative Americans. 

The fucking KKK and neo nazis like Richard Spencer see it, thats why they are so happy and that's why they voted for him. 

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Not entirely sure but maybe because republicans tend to run as who they are and democrats tend to 'evolve' once they get power.

Hmm. Not too sure about this. Remember Paul Ryan? He held himself out as a deep thinking and knowledgeable "numbers guy".

Turns out he was basically a flamin' fraud who managed to make a career for himself by reading Ayn Rand.

1 hour ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Also, I'd still appreciate it if you could respond to my post about what makes you label universities, charities, and bureaucrats as liberal.

Does the name of Lindsay Shepherd tell you anything?

Archived