WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

And yes, a Forsaken, one who primarily uses the World of Dreams, would work as an antagonist for Perrin.

I agree, and considering her fate at the hands of Perrin, it would make sense for Cyndane to be the one he has to deal with earlier.

13 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I agree, and considering her fate at the hands of Perrin, it would make sense for Cyndane to be the one he has to deal with earlier.

Yeah. Lanfear always seemed marked for Egewene to deal with, but since that never happened, having her involved with Perrin earlier makes a great deal of sense.

While Lanfear could be good, my feelings are that it should be Graendal. She tries to ambush Perrin anyway in the books and that's her last failure. The the end Lanfear plot with Perrin taking her out right the end can still happen.

Imagine having the Seanchen allying with Perrin to take Graendal down. The Seanchen society is one of the worst in WoT (treating people as property being the worst aspect). Now they get to face someone who is even worse, who quite literally turns people into her personal toys, completely dehumanizes them. Could be another thing that could force some of the Seanchen characters to re-examine their society (alongside the sul'dam/damane plot).

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

While Lanfear could be good, my feelings are that it should be Graendal. She tries to ambush Perrin anyway in the books and that's her last failure. The the end Lanfear plot with Perrin taking her out right the end can still happen.

Imagine having the Seanchen allying with Perrin to take Graendal down. The Seanchen society is one of the worst in WoT (treating people as property being the worst aspect). Now they get to face someone who is even worse, who quite literally turns people into her personal toys, completely dehumanizes them. Could be another thing that could force some of the Seanchen characters to re-examine their society (alongside the sul'dam/damane plot).

Huh... that's actually a great idea. And since Graendal has to die and be reborn anyway, maybe having her be killed in the fight with Perrin and the Seanchan can make sense. 

But the issue is, the timing won't work, for now. You need her at Arad Doman, because without that, you don't get Rand's descent into complete darkness. You don't get that awful moment of Rand baelfiring an entire castle to get to her. No other Forsaken would make him do that. No one else has a reputation sufficient for him to want to do that. And then having her escape... That was a pretty radical low point in the series that I wouldn't want to miss.

I got really bored of Perrin and Mat after a while. Mat stayed interesting for a bit longer, mostly because of his personality. Personally I think they should be there at the start, the whole Two Rivers crew should be. But maybe some of them don't survive past the Eye of the World, or maybe a little bit after that. Perhaps they should combine Perrin and Mat's characters into one and have him do about 75% of what each character did individually in the books. That way their individual arc is much greater and more important to the overall story.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I got really bored of Perrin and Mat after a while. Mat stayed interesting for a bit longer, mostly because of his personality. Personally I think they should be there at the start, the whole Two Rivers crew should be. But maybe some of them don't survive past the Eye of the World, or maybe a little bit after that. Perhaps they should combine Perrin and Mat's characters into one and have him do about 75% of what each character did individually in the books. That way their individual arc is much greater and more important to the overall story.

This makes no sense, though. Asking to combine Mat and Perrin is like asking to combine Arya and Sansa. There's nothing in their personality or the themes that are emphasized in their arcs that makes them combinable. 

15 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Huh... that's actually a great idea. And since Graendal has to die and be reborn anyway, maybe having her be killed in the fight with Perrin and the Seanchan can make sense. 

But the issue is, the timing won't work, for now. You need her at Arad Doman, because without that, you don't get Rand's descent into complete darkness. You don't get that awful moment of Rand baelfiring an entire castle to get to her. No other Forsaken would make him do that. No one else has a reputation sufficient for him to want to do that. And then having her escape... That was a pretty radical low point in the series that I wouldn't want to miss.

I guess don't remember that. I thought Semirhage pissed him off the most. Wasn't she the one who temporarily captured him with the male a'dam?

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I guess don't remember that. I thought Semirhage pissed him off the most. Wasn't she the one who temporarily captured him with the male a'dam?

It's not about pissing off. It's Rand knowing that there's no way a direct confrontation would end up with him winning. Smirhage is scary and she absolutely brings him to a low point, but the expression of that was him baleforing 1000s of innocent people to get rid of Graendal, and massively weakening the Pattern too.

Rand, through Lews Therin, knows that Graendal is cunning enough and dangerous enough that if he met her face to face, he would have no way of guaranteeing an assured victory. And we've seen proof of that. Graendal once beats Lanfear and Moghedien together. She just compels them, and that's that.

She'd be slightly wated as Perrin's main antagonist. She was absolutely the best of the Forsaken, but I do wish there had been a way to get the Seanchan to fight her, since you're right, she does represent an extreme version of their beliefs and practices.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The only thing I care about her is seeing Cadsuane having her way with her. It was one of the most memorable moments in the books for me. 

Perrin felt rather redundant after the events in the fourth book, with his own self-contained storyline with its own antagonist. They could probably cut him from adaptation entirely, although they wouldn't have to - it might be enough just for him to become a pretty minor character after defending Two Rivers.

That might work. I had a thought that they could make the series better by not claiming Perrin as the third ta'veren, but instead casting him in a Samwise Gamgee-esque role.  Egwene would be a better choice for the third ta'veren. That would remove the pressure to have Perrin do something momentous and avoid viewers being disappointed when he fails to live up to the hype. It would also make it easier to accept all those last minute rescues of Egwene's, and the stupid decisions that all those Aes Sedai had to make to facilitate her rise to power, since they would have ackownledged that she has the same plot armour that Rand and Mat have.

8 hours ago, Shaun Snow said:

That might work. I had a thought that they could make the series better by not claiming Perrin as the third ta'veren, but instead casting him in a Samwise Gamgee-esque role.  Egwene would be a better choice for the third ta'veren. That would remove the pressure to have Perrin do something momentous and avoid viewers being disappointed when he fails to live up to the hype. It would also make it easier to accept all those last minute rescues of Egwene's, and the stupid decisions that all those Aes Sedai had to make to facilitate her rise to power, since they would have ackownledged that she has the same plot armour that Rand and Mat have.

So far as I know, the only last minute "rescue" is Elaida's decision to not still Egwene. But that was set up pretty early, and makes sense. Elaida is megalomaniacal enough to think she can make Egwene bow to her and that this would make everyone else hasten to obey her even more. But her main reason for not stilling Egwene is simple: she is too strong in the Power, and has invented too many weaves. Elaida wants her for the Tower, and sold herself on the idea Egwene had been a puppet. Since she was raised to be a puppet, and Elaida had no clue about all the political training Egwene got from Siuan and Moiraine, she had no clue she was empowering her worst nightmare by not only keeping her alive but making her a Novice who could wander the Tower freely. Egwene doesn't have to be ta'veren for this to work.

As an aside, we went to Disney World over the weekend, and it's funny how many Game of Thrones (or versions of) t-shirts you see. Before the show came out, I'd never have dreamed "Winter is Coming" or "I drink and know things" or "Hodor" would be in the common place lexicon.

What Wheel of Time sayings do you see entering public awareness (assuming the show is a hit)?

24 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

As an aside, we went to Disney World over the weekend, and it's funny how many Game of Thrones (or versions of) t-shirts you see. Before the show came out, I'd never have dreamed "Winter is Coming" or "I drink and know things" or "Hodor" would be in the common place lexicon.

What Wheel of Time sayings do you see entering public awareness (assuming the show is a hit)?

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time

"Blood and bloody ashes" for the more humorous ones. The "I drink and know things" line was made up by the show so who knows what this show will make up

Tam's line about bullies, I forget the words.

Duty is heavier than a mountain... (the death is lighter than a feather part is probably not good for advertisements)

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel will."

"Blood and bloody ashes"

"Fish guts!"

"Tai'shar Malkier (or insert your country of preference here)"

"Men think with the hair on their chests". I suspect a lot of the reverse sexist lines about men will get pretty popular, if the show does.

Archived