The Last Kingdom III - HOLD ON TO YOUR SWORD (SPOILERS SEASONS 1-4)

Corvinus85

I recently finished watching Season 4 of this show. It was a very, very silly season. But still fun in a schlocky kind of way. I know Alfred had to die, but the show lost its best actor by far with him gone, and now there's no character who can balance out the "Uthred is an ubermensch who is the single most important person in every place at any time" aspect of the show. One more season (and a movie, sure, why not) seems for the best.

20 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I know Alfred had to die, but the show lost its best actor by far with him gone

But- b-b-b-b-b-but! Alfred had to move to Versailles! (the BBC series of Louis XIV in which George Blagdon plays the Sun King -- lots of fun, scrumptious to look at, lots of action even, I really enjoyed it).

With Uhtred soon getting out of the way, hopefully Bad Wolf will get moving on their Warlord Chronicles adaptation. Last I heard, it had moved into 'active development', but that was before Covid. Who knows what's gonna happen with this now.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

But- b-b-b-b-b-but! Alfred had to move to Versailles! (the BBC series of Louis XIV in which George Blagdon plays the Sun King -- lots of fun, scrumptious to look at, lots of action even, I really enjoyed it).

David Dawson isn't part of the cast in Versailles?

13 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I recently finished watching Season 4 of this show. It was a very, very silly season. But still fun in a schlocky kind of way. I know Alfred had to die, but the show lost its best actor by far with him gone, and now there's no character who can balance out the "Uthred is an ubermensch who is the single most important person in every place at any time" aspect of the show. One more season (and a movie, sure, why not) seems for the best.

Well, like you said, Alfred had to die because history. (Season 3 was full of big deaths, but it was the best IMO, maybe because of so many payoffs to long-standing relationships and plot;ines.) I was more upset that they killed Beocca, and so early in the season. 

On the positive side, the new actor playing the new, young Danish leader with the name I would have to copy  paste to get right, is amazing.

And where the hell is Hild, I want to see her again!

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

David Dawson isn't part of the cast in Versailles?

If you go by The Vikings show, Alfred is the son of the monk Athelstan (Louis XIV), so in this alternative universe the actor of Alfred would play Louis XV (that is if Versailles wasn't canceled).

I'm with you, Zorral! 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

If you go by The Vikings show, Alfred is the son of the monk Athelstan (Louis XIV), so in this alternative universe the actor of Alfred would play Louis XV (that is if Versailles wasn't canceled).

I'm with you, Zorral! 

Very clever of you to figure out what I thought I was writing but didn't write it in such a way that it made sense w/o mind-reading.  Thank you!

Alas, Versailles's over. The final season was even pre-pandemic.. But each season was a delight.

I recently finished my re-watch of Season 4.  I liked it very much -- even though Uhtred's carelessness with wives is again on display -- much more so than a lot of season 3.

19 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, like you said, Alfred had to die because history. (Season 3 was full of big deaths, but it was the best IMO, maybe because of so many payoffs to long-standing relationships and plot;ines.) I was more upset that they killed Beocca, and so early in the season. 

On the positive side, the new actor playing the new, young Danish leader with the name I would have to copy  paste to get right, is amazing.

And where the hell is Hild, I want to see her again!

This show peaked with its first season for me. I still enjoyed all the others, but nothing beats the final battle at the end of season one or that magnificent baptism scene of Guthrum.

15 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm with you, Zorral! 

Ow right, now I get it :) 

Archived