The Last Kingdom III - HOLD ON TO YOUR SWORD (SPOILERS SEASONS 1-4)

Corvinus85

40 minutes ago, Zorral said:

OK. Still, so what the heck is your complaint?   :dunno:  I streamed an episode yesterday and it looked really good -- all the details even in the rear of the scene jumped out, the colors were what they should be, the water, sky, landscapes -- were sharp and defined.

Also, so happy to have back something I like this much, with a new season -- coz, you know there ain't gonna be much of that for a long time.

Well, it wasn’t my complaint, it was Bigfatcoward’s, but I do agree with him. I haven’t started it yet, and I’m glad to hear it looks great, but a show like this should be in 4K. I pay extra to Netflix for the top tier package to get the 4K content.

First world problems I know, but it’s still annoying. 

55 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Anyone remember when people actually used shields on this show?

Yes, I've voiced my complaint, too. But I'm only 3 episodes in, please don't tell me the trend continues for the entire season.

Eliza Butterworth / Aelswith  seems to have had a lot of work done on her face.  She looks younger as widow than she did as King Alfred's wife.

Spoiler

I am so sorry my favorite regular character is gone.  :crying:

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Eliza Butterworth / Aelswith  seems to have had a lot of work done on her face.  She looks younger as widow than she did as King Alfred's wife.

Well the actress is 26.  Maybe they changed the make-up.

This couldn't have come at a better time.  It's such a relief - distraction from THESE TIMES -- their times were no better (except they got to gather together in filthy taverns and drink warm piss called beer TOGETHER!)

Really liking this.  Guess they didn't climb sheer rock walls carrying their shields on their backs?  Is that the problem?  Lots of shields in the Big Battle -- though, no shield WAWAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!

I just watched Ep. 4 and now I'm pissed.

Spoiler

What kind of battle was that. No shield wall? Just a stupid brawl. How did the reinforcements even know where to hit, there were no banners, no defining lines? Please don't let this show go the way of Vikings. I did appreciate the Welsh archers, even if, historically, it may be a bit too early, it was a good tease.

I realized last season that the show decided to kill off, rather than simply disappear characters, like in the books. It could be bad, or good, depending on the writing. Beocca sacrificing himself for Uhtred's son was good. Last season, Ragnar's death and all the consequences of that were good, all the way up to this episode. I didn't like Tyra's death last season, and right now I'm not particularly enjoying how they killed of Steapa, though I had a feeling it was coming.

While this Cnut was never described as Cnut Longsword, it would have been nice if the fight between him and Uhtred had been a proper sword duel.

Caught the second episode last night.

I had bad feelings when Uthred's cousin came to shore, and showed his father the men he brought. It felt very Ramsay/Roose to me, and that the men were there to back Uthred's cousin and not the father, regardless whom the lord was. Pardon my ignorance to character names. I'm shit with them in this show.

As for the 4K stuff, I agree with Nic and BFC. How is one of the bigger shows on Netflix not shot in 4K? And if that's the case, why am I paying for the 4K/ultra package? I don't care about the extra couple bucks but out of principal this should be shot in the highest definition they offer. Still looks good though, no doubt.

I just saw episode 4:1 and I don't get it. I basically remember nothing of last season except for the untimely demise of this show's best actor and I can't fall back on the books because they have made some serious changes. Despite all that however and without much happening, I was riveted to the screen. I just love the aesthetic of this show and the fact that it is just such uncomplicated fun :D  

Even with the subtitles on all the Athel-whatevers is confusing.

One time I thought I heard them call the Edward's son "the earthling" but of course it was aetheling (which my spell checker want to correct to earthling anyway!) which is a term for a royal prince.  Definitely not an alien child pretending to be from Earth.  But what if.....?

Anyway, fun season so far.  On ep 6.

Ah, second episode in and I'm already back to my critical self. This show is dumb as fuck. "Clearly you have no knowledge of the weapons of the dessert" really GTFO

Spoiler

I know the show is like the books, in the sense that it doesn't pretend to be great. Just a good time, no strings attached and I'm okay with watching a show that is thought-neutral. I do however have strong problems with thought-negative shows.

I really had to perform mental arithmetic of the highest order to make sense of some of the convoluted storyline. It started with fucking badass Cnut not realizing that Aethelred could attack him as a result of his little white lie of moving to Ireland... That's like the most obvious complication of his plan (not to mention that other Saxons, Danes or Norse could also have been a threat to his people) and he didn't take any precautions... Nor does the loss of his people seem to face him one bit...

Even if he's a hardcore psychopath, he must realize that most people don't tend to soldier well once they know that their family has been butchered as a result of senior management slip-ups. Like shut the fuck up show you're drunk if you are even suggesting this is credible

And then there is the whole Aelfric/Bebbanburg plot... Like, Uthred just hopes that wayward son without any fighting or spying experience will get into the fortress? And then he doesn't even know how the signal of his son will look like? What if a guard accidentally threw a torch over the wall? Fucking hell. 

And don't even get me started on obviously-evil-discount-bin-Ramsey and his Pirates of Color. Why did he all of a sudden turn on Aelfric... Why not straight away? Why is he stupid enough not to check the external gates when trapping a supposed spy/thief? If he has a sixth sense for spotting lurkers, than why not that as well. And why are his men not able to defeat a gangling and untrained teenager? 

Really hate this development. The crossbows, the curved blades and the multicultural crew are all rubbish. If they were to do something interesting with it like e.g. if obviously-evil-discount-bin-Ramsey turns out to be an adherent to early Islam, thanks to his stay in the Middle-East than I might excuse some of the cheesier Dorkstar lines. But if they are not navigating the complicated interplay between pagan, christian and muslim faith than this is bound to be a let down.

Just finished watched the 8th episode.  This has all been very good, very diverting, with some interesting new characters and dynamics that didn't quite work out as one might have thought.

Though it seems either I don't remember anything at all about the books from which this season was adapted or the changes are considerable.  I don't mind.

Though still my favorite bit was Knut's piebald horse's mane. Woo, that was a mane!

On 4/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, GallowKnight said:

Anyone remember when people actually used shields on this show?

This season's battles have to be the worst for the show - cavalry charges added to the complete lack of shields, helmets or metallic armour.

Going to Netflix has really helped the pacing, and the funding, but the fight scenes have gone from a highlight in the first 2 seasons full-on fast-forward hollywood!

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Though it seems either I don't remember anything at all about the books from which this season was adapted or the changes are considerable.  I don't mind.

Just based on the first two episodes I have seen, the changes must be considerable.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

This season's battles have to be the worst for the show - cavalry charges added to the complete lack of shields, helmets or metallic armour.

Going to Netflix has really helped the pacing, and the funding, but the fight scenes have gone from a highlight in the first 2 seasons full-on fast-forward hollywood!

Season 1 is still by far the best entry in the book. I like the other seasons as well, but while not perfect, season one had the best acted scenes, fights and story I'd say.

The refusal to age up the characters is getting a little silly, although it is preferable to changing actors. Alexander Dreymon is currently 37, so they picked a reasonable age for him to portray Uhtred through the first half of the series (even if him at 32 playing an 18-year-old was also a bit silly), but the latter half is going to be increasingly hard to swallow. It's even worse with Eliza Butterworth (who is currently 26, the same age as Millie Brady playing her daughter!) but I guess they thought she was such a good actress that it was worth the credibility hit.

This problem is going to get more prevalent the more time that passes though. The timeline for the series is something like this:

• 858: Uhtred is born.
  • 867: Battle of Eoferwic. Uhtred is captured by the Danes. Uhtred is 9.
  • 871: Alfred becomes King of Wessex (this happens a little later in the series).
  • 874-876: Death of Ragnar. Uhtred and Brida escape to Wessex. Book 1/Season 1.0 take place. Uhtred is 16-18.
  • 876-878: Battle of Ethandun. Book 2/Season 1.5 take place. Uhtred is 18-20.
  • 878-881: Book 3/Season 2.0 takes place. Uhtred marries Gisela at 23.
  • 886: Lundune is recaptured. Book 4/Season 2.5 take place. Uhtred is 28.
  • 892-893: Book 5/Season 3.0 take place. Gisela dies. Uhtred is 34-35.
  • 899-902: Alfred dies. Aethelwold’s bid for power is defeated. Book 6/Season 3.5 takes place. Uhtred is 41-44.
  • 909-910: Book 7/Season 4.0 take place. Battle of Tettenhall. Uhtred is 51-52.
  • 911: Book 8/Season 4.5 takes place. Uhtred is 53.
  • 911-918: Book 9/Season 5.0 (if it happens) take place. Uhtred is 53-60.
  • 918: Book 10/Season 5.5 take place. Uhtred is 60.
  • 923-924: Book 11/Season 6.0 take place. Uhtred is 65-66.
  • 924: Book 12/Season 6.5 take place. Uhtred is 66.
  • 937: Battle of Brunanburh. Book 13/Season 7 take place. Uhtred is 79.
On 4/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, Nictarion said:

Well, it wasn’t my complaint, it was Bigfatcoward’s, but I do agree with him. I haven’t started it yet, and I’m glad to hear it looks great, but a show like this should be in 4K. I pay extra to Netflix for the top tier package to get the 4K content.

First world problems I know, but it’s still annoying. 

Netflix has stopped 4K transmission in the UK (and I believe most of Europe) during peak times to deal with increased bandwidth demand. Not sure about the situation in the USA or elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Netflix has stopped 4K transmission in the UK (and I believe most of Europe) during peak times to deal with increased bandwidth demand. Not sure about the situation in the USA or elsewhere.

We’re still getting it here in the states. Apparently TLK was just not in 4K regardless. 

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

They could have kept the show unique by continuing to be closer to history with the battles. This feels like laziness to me.

Episode 9

WTF? When did Haesten turn into a bond villain?

"I want the glory of killing Uhtred, and have been following your party for a day or two, but don't know how many people you have, so I'll tie you to a tree and wander off, so that you can be rescued, and I get no honour"

ETA: oh, and everything in Winchester! FFS

Archived