Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

Barcelona, I think, signed Turan during a ban and he sat on the sidelines for half a season. That wasn't a notable success for player or club. 

I guess this is why Hudson-Odoi was offered a new contract?

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

but what happens to the Pulisic deal if they don't? That happened with someone at Barca didn't it?

Nothing. Chelsea have already signed and registered Pulisic and loaned him back to Dortmund so this transfer is unaffected. Higuain would be more of an issue - he's on a 6-month loan with Chelsea having the option to extend the loan for a further 12 months. I'm not sure if Chelsea would have to reregister him should they take up the additional 12 month option - if they do then Higuain will have to return to Juve. Kovacic would have to return to Real Madrid as well. Chelsea will be really desperate to make sure that the ban only comes into effect after the upcoming transfer window. I can see them going as far as appealing to CAS.

Regarding the situations with Barca (and Atletico Madrid): a transfer ban does not actually prevent a club from signing players, just registering them to the squad. Barca signed Arda Turan while under a transfer ban but couldn't register him until 6 months later. Atleti signed Vitolo from Sevilla while under a ban and loaned him to Las Palmas until the ban was lifted and they could register him. 

22 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Nothing. Chelsea have already signed and registered Pulisic and loaned him back to Dortmund so this transfer is unaffected.

Oh, fair enough. Well, that probably explains why they paid so much money to get the deal done in January then.

But yeah, that was why I asked, I thought they'd pre-signed him but not registered him rather than sign-and-loan.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Barcelona, I think, signed Turan during a ban and he sat on the sidelines for half a season. That wasn't a notable success for player or club. 

Yes, although in an unrelated event, Suarez had to sit out quite a bit of competitive football too, when he signed for Barcelona, and that transfer has worked out fairly well for both parties. Just saying, that sitting half a season on the sidelines does not mean the player will flop. It's far from ideal, though.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I guess this is why Hudson-Odoi was offered a new contract?

No, I think they see ability and potential in him. And I think they dread a bit of perspective of how their fans will react, when they see him at another club and fullfilling his promise there. I don't really know that many Chelski fans tbh, but I can see them already looking at de Bruyne and Salah with some mixture of annoyance and resignation. If Hudson-Odoi gets anywhere near those two, they surely will have to go mad. Of course, he will never get there, if he doesn't actually get to play football.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Appealing, just to postpone and make the signings you need to get you through the ban should have consequences. Maybe if you appeal and are not successful you get an extra window ban. 

I agree.  The same logic was applied to appeals against red cards , which clubs were doing to tactically defer/delay the suspension even when they knew the red card would be upheld.  So now there is a longer suspension applied to failed appeal.

20 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Piatek just can't stop scoring and his overall link up play and movement is excellent. That €35m is looking like a bargain already. Surprised no other clubs were vying for his signature because he was tearing it up at Genoa as well.

I agree with this.  Milan were willing to ditch Higuain in the middle of his loan so that they could make room for Piatek, but then all the transfer media focus is on Higuain rather than Piatek.   Milan did well there. 

Leicester sack Puel. Reports saying that Michael Appleton set to take interim charge and club will look to bring in Brendan Rodgers for next season.

I'm not so sure that Rodgers would be a good fit either. He also likes to play a possession based game and the Leicester players have struggled to adapt to that style. This is a counter-attacking team and Vardy is also far more effective playing on the counter than in a possession-based system. Rafa would be perfect imo - better manager than Rodgers and plays a style that would suit the Leicester players plus he is unlikely to renew his contract so Leicester would not have to pay compensation. 

I'm not sure Rodgers would even leave Celtic for Leicester. I mean, he's won everything you can realistically win with Celtic, he's unhappy about the transfer budget and he's hit a wall in Europe, so I can easily believe he'd leave the club. But for Leicester? That seems less likely. It's more money, I suppose, so you can't rule it out, but Rodgers almost certainly has higher ambitions.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

I'm not sure Rodgers would even leave Celtic for Leicester. I mean, he's won everything you can realistically win with Celtic, he's unhappy about the transfer budget and he's hit a wall in Europe, so I can easily believe he'd leave the club. But for Leicester? That seems less likely. It's more money, I suppose, so you can't rule it out, but Rodgers almost certainly has higher ambitions.

Like what? I'm not sure he's likely to get jobs at a higher level than Leicester (probably competing for 7th in the Premier League but they had a budget of about £100 million to spend over the summer). He's probably not going to achieve any more than he already has done for Celtic so what's going to lead to better job offers?

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Like what? I'm not sure he's likely to get jobs at a higher level than Leicester (probably competing for 7th in the Premier League but they had a budget of about £100 million to spend over the summer). He's probably not going to achieve any more than he already has done for Celtic so what's going to lead to better job offers?

I'm fairly sure that whatever we think, Rodgers thinks he can still get a job at a top 6 club, or at an equivalent level abroad. Would a move to Leicester help that ambition? He'd have to exceed that 7th place finish, or win a domestic cup or two at least for that to be true.

Archived