MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

Interesting that the announcement of the re-hiring of Gunn happens when we are at the height of Michael Jackson pedophile: is he or isn't he? mania.

Disney deserved a major bollocking for caving to the character assassination bullshit of the alt-right. Though I do wonder if the whole firing and rehiring thing was planned. Or rather, the firing was unplanned because it was a shitty kneejerk reaction, but the plan around rehiring might have been put together not long after, and only Feige, Iger and Gunn knew about it. As soon as Gunn is able to secure a directing gig with another studio for something that is mainstream that's the signal that the news cycle and the public have moved on and announcing the re-hire is safe.

More Adam Warlock delay.    But on the plus side.... Guardians 2 was Gunn's baby and disappointed me, so if Marvel will now be handing him updated story hooks that are not his original design, that might make G3 better. 

(Guardians2 kind of just riffed on the success of 1 too much. The visuals were impressive but not the content or character development, and the universe seemed to narrow down in that movie somewhat.  The split up of the crew took twice as much time to deal with , including one location that had them camping on the Ewok's forest moon instead of awesome stellar views like Knowhere.  It diluted the movie.   Then Ego blew up instead of being a character going forward, and Starlord did a dance from being not a god to being a god to being not a god again, while the Titan's daughters went on the same two- step dance that brought their relationship right back to the starting point again.  Felt like a gip, like nothing came out of the movie.  Dude lost both of his dads.   And in hindsight it's a pooper Adam wasn't just hatched at the end so he could participate in Endgame.)

58 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Good.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It's likely the strategy of developing the next phase has changed/will change. GotG 3 was supposed to kick off the new phase, right? Now, it'll probably be Captain Marvel, or they'll do it with a villain, like Dr. Doom, once those rights are secured.

Marvel announced yesterday that they hired a director to make a Shang-Chi movie. Since they haven't even started pre-production yet I doubt it'll be the very start of the next phase, but it may still be one of the earlier ones out.

As for Endgame, I really they avoid time travel, I simply don't trust Marvel (or anyone, really) to tell a cohesive time travel story that doesn't have enormous plot holes. Maybe if they bring in the guy from Primer as a consultant...

I'm hoping it's something like there's an echo/shadow/reflection/copy/whatever in the quantum zone of everyone who died to the glove snap and there's some way to use that to bring everyone back if they can get the stones from Thanos.

Here's a troubling thought: Endgame could be the worst MCU ever.

Think about it. A common comment and criticism of MCU movies is that the biggest weakness of MCU movies is they often fall over in the 3rd act. This whole movie is the 3rd act of the Thanos story-line. Avengers 1 was the first act, GoTG / Infinity War was the second act, End game is the third act. A substantial concern discussed here is how the snappening gets reversed: Someone uses the gauntlet to unsnap vs time travel. Both of those resolutions are problematic for different reasons but for a lot of people they both fall flat. Some people hope the writers can find a 3rd way, but there are no suggestions of what they could be (hoefully the writers are more talented and creative than anyone here).

If the movie provides us with a 3rd way, and they nail it, I will be the first person to say that Endgame should be the first comic book movie ever to win the best picture Oscar. But if they screw it up by presenting a major anti-climax it could deal a grave blow to the whole MCU venture.

There are very few movies that have ever done time travel right: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and...? So if time travel is the thing for Endgame I worry a lot for how the movie will land.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Good.

Marvel announced yesterday that they hired a director to make a Shang-Chi movie. Since they haven't even started pre-production yet I doubt it'll be the very start of the next phase, but it may still be one of the earlier ones out.

As for Endgame, I really they avoid time travel, I simply don't trust Marvel (or anyone, really) to tell a cohesive time travel story that doesn't have enormous plot holes. Maybe if they bring in the guy from Primer as a consultant...

I'm hoping it's something like there's an echo/shadow/reflection/copy/whatever in the quantum zone of everyone who died to the glove snap and there's some way to use that to bring everyone back if they can get the stones from Thanos.

Wow, I just got done saying no one's come up with a good 3rd way, but that's definitely an outline of a better 3rd way. I wonder if could be a situation of you can't bring everyone back, maybe they can only bring back everyone on Earth, but the rest of the universe remains fucked over by Thanos. That would actually cause a lot of other civilisations to be pretty pissed at Earth for saving itself but no one else. Every one comes back on Earth completely oblivious to the fact that they all got dusted and life carries on in the sort of carefree manner that we seem to be seeing in the Far from Home trailer. Meanwhile the rest of the universe is brooding over the fact that no one is going to save them.

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder if could be a situation of you can't bring everyone back, maybe they can only bring back everyone on Earth, but the rest of the universe remains fucked over by Thanos.

I don't see that as very likely.  Rocket, Thor, and even Captain Marvel all have ties to places other than Earth that got dusted.  I mean, bringing all the earthlings back would be better than nothing, but I don't see the non-earth based Avengers being okay with such a half-assed fix.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wow, I just got done saying no one's come up with a good 3rd way, but that's definitely an outline of a better 3rd way. I wonder if could be a situation of you can't bring everyone back, maybe they can only bring back everyone on Earth, but the rest of the universe remains fucked over by Thanos. That would actually cause a lot of other civilisations to be pretty pissed at Earth for saving itself but no one else. Every one comes back on Earth completely oblivious to the fact that they all got dusted and life carries on in the sort of carefree manner that we seem to be seeing in the Far from Home trailer. Meanwhile the rest of the universe is brooding over the fact that no one is going to save them.

I think a few of the characters will have something to say about that. Rocket would want his team back. Thor and Captain Marvel would probably want to save the entire universe, and I don't see anyone else arguing against those two. ;)

There's also the soul stone plot. Gamora didn't die by the snap, but the common theory is that her soul is in the stone. She'll probably be brought back, too, but if the rest of the people's souls aren't in the stone, that would mean having two plot lines to tackle.

The main thing about whatever solution they go with is that Dr. Strange looked into the future and saw one winning scenario. So I don't see going back in time to defeat Thanos as being that one solution. My theory (don't know if anyone has this) is to use the quantum realms to destroy or alter all the stones reshaping the universe again, with all the snapped people back in it, but with alterations. Not a simple turnaround of how things go. It shouldn't be a return of the status quo.

Just now, Corvinus said:

I think a few of the characters will have something to say about that. Rocket would want his team back. Thor and Captain Marvel would probably want to save the entire universe, and I don't see anyone else arguing against those two. ;)

There's also the soul stone plot. Gamora didn't die by the snap, but the common theory is that her soul is in the stone. She'll probably be brought back, too, but if the rest of the people's souls aren't in the stone, that would mean having two plot lines to tackle.

The main thing about whatever solution they go with is that Dr. Strange looked into the future and saw one winning scenario. So I don't see going back in time to defeat Thanos as being that one solution. My theory (don't know if anyone has this) is to use the quantum realms to destroy or alter all the stones reshaping the universe again, with all the snapped people back in it, but with alterations. Not a simple turnaround of how things go. It shouldn't be a return of the status quo.

It's not that they don't want to, it's just that, maybe the quantum realm is more vast than the universe, and to save everyone you have to be in the place where they got dusted, so it would take millions of years to undust the whole universe. So it comes down to: guys, we can save Earth, and all of our favourite heroes, but we just can't save everyone. We will all die of old age, even Thor and Carol, before we got even a fraction of the universe back. It's just not happening. Or perhaps you each get to save one civilisation, and that's it. Carol chooses the Skrulls, the Skrulls see that they have the upper hand now but also see a completely rescued Earth as a future threat, so secret invasion happens.

Banner could explain it using Silly Putty (!):

"Remember when you used this putty to make an imprint of a newspaper, like this?   Well the universe does the same thing, only with us.  Nothing is ever lost.  A record of all things exists, and can be found in the imprint this universe makes on the folded dimensions that underlie our reality."  [Folds silly putty in half upon itself so the copy of the news print is hidden.]   "The trick will be digging it out of there intact.   You would need such exacting control over the cosmos.  You'd need the gauntlet."

So back to square one.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:08 AM, karaddin said:

The amount of NZ and Aussie actors + NZ Director in that must have made it hell to keep the desired accent in mind for the actors. I really want a space road trip movie directed by TW focused on Thor + Captain Marvel + Valkyrie as well as Mendelsohn starring as well with his Aussie accent and Korg.

This sounds great!  Make it happen, Marvel!

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Sensitive Joss Wheedon would like a word.

He only directed half or less of one movie, and his solo DC movie got canned, so Gunn can win the prize for being the first to fully direct two separate movies.

I'm beyond happy about the James Gunn news. The guy makes some amazing films and I personally loved both GotG films; the first one easily being my favorite MCU film.

The guy is a real class act, for how he behaved during this whole mess. It honestly says a lot about his character.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

He only directed half or less of one movie, and his solo DC movie got canned, so Gunn can win the prize for being the first to fully direct two separate movies.

Yeah but I am legally prohibited from referring the things that Zack Snyder turns cameras towards then edits into slow motion 'films' or even 'movies'. Ergo Joss Wheeden directed about 40 minutes of a film he was calling The Justice League, but the studio made the strange decision to stuff it with an hour of random images and sounds bearing no relation to Wheedan's efforts. 

It was a fucking weird production decision I grant you, but it still counts...

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Yeah but I am legally prohibited from referring the things that Zack Snyder turns cameras towards then edits into slow motion 'films' or even 'movies'. Ergo Joss Wheeden directed about 40 minutes of a film he was calling The Justice League, but the studio made the strange decision to stuff it with an hour of random images and sounds bearing no relation to Wheedan's efforts. 

It was a fucking weird production decision I grant you, but it still counts...

Let's not over look the fact the fact that they changed up the entire color pallet for the movie in post production. So we had entire scenes that were suppose to be filmed in dark light turned to color, which made everything look off. I think Batman's costume suffered the most from this change. I'm also not convinced Ben Affleck is even in the suit during Batman's final scene when the alien plants were growing on Earth; he looks totally different height and weight wise. 

Just now, sifth said:

Let's not over look the fact the fact that they changed up the entire color pallet for the movie in post production. So we had entire scenes that were suppose to be filmed in dark light turned to color, which made everything look off. I think Batman's costume suffered the most from this change. I'm also not convinced Ben Affleck is even in the suit during Batman's final scene when the alien planets were growing on Earth; he looks totally different height and weight wise. 

That red clad young man looked fucking absurd in Weedan's scenes. The costumes were like the only thing DC had looking half-ass decent (half-ass, ok. That 'Supes costume could use a bit of color for Basilissa's sake and WW's juuuust doesn't quite do it for me it's not bad but I don't love it) and they sold them out in search for that elusive Marvel secret of films that aren't stapled trash dragged over a projector lens.

I think I know how GRRM would write Endgame if he could.... our heroes undo the snap bringing back all the dusted lives everywhere...but in a Monkeys Paw twist, all the lives that weren't taken previously are now taken in a bittersweet twist of fate.

After all, the heroes that were taken, a lot of them have films coming out still and the survivors do not.

Archived