Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

19 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

The battle for those 3 and 4 spots is hilarious at this point. 

Tottenham should still get in, even after this loss.

Arsenal face a tricky away game to Leicester and Man United play Chelsea, so there will be more points dropped this round too!

It is a shock how many points are being dropped in the race for top 4 but most seasons do see some shock results in April/May.  That’s when smaller teams are desperate for points or perhaps playing with new freedom after reaching safety, while opponents are playing in flip-flops or fatigued or prioritizing CL/EL.  City and Liverpool have been so relentless this season that it seems more shocking when others stumble.

Spurs are knackered, injured and have one eye on a CL semi-final.  Remember how many points Liverpool dropped late in the PL as they went to the EL and CL finals?  They dropped entirely out of CL spots in 2016, and then they dropped from 2nd to 4th in 2018.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:48 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Now that Newcastle are safe I have no problem with us rolling over for Brighton. Chris Hughton is a top bloke, Warnock is a wanker, and the non payment of the transfer fee stinks of a lack of class. Fuck Cardiff. 

nope. I love chris hughton but I still want the win.

and that strike from ayoze! I like that he is playing for a transfer to Spain  

2 hours ago, Philokles said:

So Dortmund’s mentality has been fixed for this season right, @A Horse Named Stranger ?

Not sure how can view this game as a mentality problem?

Anyway, let's recap what happened.

Dortmund take the lead. They celebrate the goal a wee bit too close to the area where the Schalke fans are located. Thus Sancho got hit by an object (no idea what it was, I just assume it was a lighter or something like that), while he gets treated on the sidelines Schalke equalized out of thin air really.  Then they more surprisingly even take the lead in that game, Dortmund conceded from two set pieces there, which has been more of an issue for them since the winterbreak than any talk about menatlity. And the penalty was one of those handballs that now gets punished.

Second half. Two braindead challenges, two justified red cards. Schalke scored from another set piece (great freekick btw). Then Schalke get lucky that McKennie did not get a red card too for his foul.

Dortmund despite being two players down still manages somehow to get back into the game with Witsel's goal. Talking about mentality. THen Schalke scored the final goal.

46 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure how can view this game as a mentality problem?

Two red cards from what you admit are braindead challenges in five minutes doesn't strike me as the actions of a side who have the right frame of mind for pressure situations. At 2-1 down with 30 mins to go against a poor side, there was still a very good chance they would go on to win with 11 vs 11, and more likely than not that they would pick up a point at least.

Their biggest issue till that point was the lack of a presence up front, but Favre had sensibly just put Alcacer on for Delaney. Then Reus dives in to a challenge he should never be making - they had plenty of players back, he was not going to be able to get through Serdar to the ball and Schalke barely ever score from open play. Caligiuri sticks the free-kick in and a few minutes later Wolf does the same thing Reus did, except he doesn't ever seem to be going for the ball but Sedar's achilles. Schalke being so bad they concede to 9 men when trying to kill the game makes the BVB players losing their heads even worse.

Not our best game today.

Couldn't find a reliable stream either, and I had to prepare dinner during the second half, so I was only halfway watching, but my takeaways were:

1) DCL really needs to work on his finishing. Today, he had an early opportunity which he ... rolled to the keeper. Even I could have generated that much power on a shot without problem.

2) It seems we are getting somewhere in defending set pieces. We haven't let in too many goals these last games altogether, but for me it's the set pieces that are worth mentioning, seeing as we completely sucked defending those for a good 2/3 of the season.

9 hours ago, Philokles said:

Two red cards from what you admit are braindead challenges in five minutes doesn't strike me as the actions of a side who have the right frame of mind for pressure situations. At 2-1 down with 30 mins to go against a poor side, there was still a very good chance they would go on to win with 11 vs 11, and more likely than not that they would pick up a point at least. 

Ah, ok. Usually, when I talk about Dortmund lacking mentality last season it refers to them just collapsing, and going into turtle mode and endure the beating without putting up much of a fight/resistance. That really cannot be said about this Dortmund team.

Anyway.

The red cards were a to me more a sign for a lack of maturity. Reus is experienced enough to know better. But then again, this derby is Germany's equivalent to the EPL's United-Liverpool derby, and apparently that thing really got to his head. Wolf on the other hand is still a rather young/inexperienced player, so I can see how he lost his head in that game. And again, Schalke's McKennie could've/should've been sent off, too.

The Derby factor also probably played a part in the much better side thing. Usually yes, Dortmund are the far superior footballing side. For Schalke this game was like a cup final. This was the one game, with which they could somehow salvage the season for their fans somewhat. Beating Dortmund and effectively ending their ambitions of winning the league this year, and almost everything else regarding this season is forgiven. And Schalke played like that. Funnily enough, SChalke comitted more fouls than Dortmund, and collected 6 yellow cards, Dortmund had 0. So Schalke were way cleverer in that respect than their Dortmund counterparts (18 fouls by Schalke vs 9 by Dortmund).

We really should have made an effort to get Tielemans or for that matter Spurs should have made a greater effort to land him. We sold Fellaini and Spurs Dembele. A loan with no obligation for an obviously talented player represented a no risk move for either club. Hopefully we actually make an effort in the upcoming transfer window - rumours were saying that Monaco want around £40m. 

38 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Maitland-Niles was unlucky there, Maddison's play-acting got him that second yellow.

First yellow was pretty weak considering it was his first foul and Leicester has gotten away with that 5 times.

Doesn't matter though. This Arsenal side blows.

Epic shithousery from Leeds against Villa. Kodja goes down injured, Leeds go to put the ball out, but Klich makes a run behind the defence and is put through to score despite Villa having stopped. Massive scuffle between the two sets of players and Villa’s El Ghazi sent off despite barely touching Bamford. Bielsa orders his side to let Villa have their goal back but Pontus Jansson tries to keep it out on his own. Back level at 1-1 but Leeds with a man advantage. They need a goal to stop Sheffield United going up today.

It’s all going nuts at Elland Road. 

A Villa player goes down, Leeds make out they’re going to put the ball out then carry on and score. Villa go crazy, Bamford dives and gets El Ghazi sent off. Bielsa loses his shit at his own players and gets them to let Villa score but Jansson isn’t happy with that so he tries to defend on his own while all the other Leeds players stand and watch.

Archived