Werthead

RIP Gene Wolfe

Damn. I haven't read that much of Wolfe, but I spent a few days last summer totally engrossed with Latro In The Mist. Truly a great writer and a fantastic storyteller.

RIP

This is such sad news, and it comes in the middle of my re-read of Book of the Short Sun, so all of his talents as a writer are fresh in my mind. There's nobody else like Wolfe in sci-fi fantasy. What a loss for the genre and literature in general.

40 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Damn. I haven't read that much of Wolfe, but I spent a few days last summer totally engrossed with Latro In The Mist. Truly a great writer and a fantastic storyteller.

RIP

Just found my copy of Latro the other day.  Going to pop a can of pringles and read some tonight in remembrance.  RIP GW

Sad to hear this :( I loved his Book of the New Sun. His prose isn’t always easy, but he was a great writer.

I already had Soldier in the Mist laying ready on my nightstand.

After coming back to the States for college, I remember picking up The Claw of the Conciliator at The Big Bookstore and, upon reading it, realizing that this was the sort of book to which I could actually apply the ideas and concepts I was learning in my literary criticism class. Once I finally realized that he was writing of a Vanceian milieu, my mind was really blown.

Probably my favorites among his books, however, were Solider of the Mist and Soldier of Arete. Wonderful in their conception, they put me exactly into that spot where I, too, saw the world new everyday as a Greek soldier of the classical world having suffered a head wound and unable to form new memories.

We had a re-read of The Book of the New Sun led by Fragile Bird going on here in this forum that ended after the third book - I wish it had continued.

Bad way to get a reminder that I still really want to try something by Wolfe beyond BotNS and BotLS.

RIP

Posted (edited)

Peace, the first two Latro books, The Book of the New Sun, and the Book of the Short Sun are all classics.  Many of his short stories are also excellent. The giant collection of his short stories released a few years back is definitely worth getting . I don't think I've read a bad Wolfe book; even the ones I didn't enjoy as much (Live Free Live, the Wizard-Knight, Pirate Freedom) have been thought provoking at the least, and his prose always makes reading him worthwhile. What an author he was! 

Edited by Caligula_K3