Rant and Rave Without Repercussion End of The World Edition [Spoilers]

Lady Fevre Dream

Btw, I don't have a problem with the fact that it was Arya and not Jon.

I have a problem with this solution as:

- dragon fire couldn't, but one stab from a ninja girl could

- there was no difficulties

- srsly, the NK and his entourage put less o fight that the guys who wanted the Hound's chicken. Actually, any zombie given individual fight did better than the NK

- so, why did the NK's crew fell apart too?

- in the end of the day Arya had less problem with the NK than with the Waif

- there was no magic. Bran showed nothing. The NK showed nothing.

There should have been an episode with heroes versus the White Walkers and it should have been bloody and cost some of the mains their lives.

3 hours ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

Didn't think anything short of TWoW finally dropping could get me back on here, but damn this fucking episode has done it.

I had given up on the politics in like season 4-5 when it was pretty clear that unless they were following the books closely they had no idea how to make the big players (Varys, LF, Doran, Euron, Roose, Stannis et cetera) behave in a way that was even remotely logical or compelling. But still for the last 3 seasons I have mostly been enjoying all of the beyond the Wall/White Walkers stuff. And even if the way Viserion died was stupid, it was still absolutely amazing to see the Night King riding unViserion and bring the Wall down, so even though I didn't give a shit about Cersei and Dany and the rest of the would-be rulers, I was really anticipating the epic climax for the last 2 years.

And then it is over in one episode, Arya kills the Night King and his whole army dies. The Army of the dead gets only halfway down the North, the forces of Westeros didn't have the unite against the threat; the only southern forces were those of The Vale, and a dozen named characters, the rest is all fought by the north and Dany's men.

Of course Azor Ahai prophecy is completely ignored and seemingly none of it means anything.

I can't believe how bad the writing of this truly was, I have had a pretty low opinion of D&D for a long time, as do most of us here, but damn I can't believe how badly they screwed this entire arc up. Literally any of us could outline a far better story than this in 5 sentences.

Army of the dead wins at Winterfell, Jon and Dany reluctantly order a retreat, Unsullied and remaining Night's Watch volunteer to stay back as a rearguard so that the rest of the army and the Northern civilians can escape south. They reach the South with the AoTD close behind, but are savaged by remaining Lannisters and GC, and are ironically only saved when the AoTD catches up with them and attacks both armies, barely escaping with their lives. Eternal night (but better lit) sets in, as does despair and defeatism, Jon and/or Dany is/are the only one(s) that can keep it together, and rallies the entire remaining strength of Westeros for a massive battle outside of King's Landing. Afterwards no one is gonna argue with Jon and/or Dany taking the throne and the GoT is resolved. Series ends with new king/queen/both approaching the Iron Throne as the sun finally rises.

They could even keep Arya killing the NK and I would be perfectly happy with it, but it should have been something like Jon sending her to infiltrate the AoTD, knowing it will be at the cost of her life. Her actions will leave the enemy leaderless and give the living a chance in the final battle, and she could be Jon's Nissa Nissa.

Love all of this but I wanted to compliment the bolded. This is probably what's gonna happen in the books - that is, the Others will threaten all of Westeros and whoever 'wins' against them will be pretty much be considered the new ruler of Westeros. These things can happen simultaneasly. But in the show they completely get rid of the AOTD in such a stupid way FIRST and THEN there's a race to the throne? As people have mentioned if this show followed logic then Dany/Jon would have it easy after what happened. But I guess the south won't believe anything happened in the North....... 

39 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

The thing is, the big youtubers/western/social media, have nothing but positivity regarding the episode. I'm baffled honestly.

Like I'm not THAT smart of a person. When everyone said, season 7 wasn't good, I disagreed. I understood all of the criticism but I still enjoyed it. So if a numb numb like me can see the glaring mess that was episode 3, how come most of the people are not only liking it, but aggressively defending it. I tried reading the EW article about Maise Williams and her reaction to her being the one to kill the NK, her boyfriend said ''should've been Jon though, shoudn't it ?'' and immediately the comment section hated on him saying Maise should get a new boyfriend. In terms of story and buildup, it's only normal for people to think Jon should have gotten the kill. Has nothing to do with his gender. It's just an opinion. But to immediately see that as a reason to judge the person and label him without knowing the intend and the reasoning for saying that is very off putting. It's downright terrifying tbh ''You either think like me or we will burn you''. The entire EW comment section, not 1 criticism on there. After reading the comment section, I felt dumber. They were seriously defending the glaring flaws of the episode. I'm guessing, that there is a lot of MODERATION going on. They only approve the positive comments. Which is even more terrifying isn't it ?The big youtubers are the same. They're clearly intelligent people, most of them. But it's like they're afraid to give their honest opinion. Not much to say about social media. I feel like almost all of them are shallow ignorant superficial beings. At least based on my surroundings and the people I know.

I think there is some damage control going on and the real questions/criticism is being oppressed and policed.

I wish I lived in an alternate universe where talk show hosts actually weren't afraid or policed to ask the REAL questions instead of the cookie cutter questions.

I think a lot of the "big" youtubers and review sites are directly paid or sponsored by the content companies to give reviews.  I also think there are a huge number of people still clinging to the belief the end payoff will be so fantastic it will make all the possible questions just disappear in a puff of story logic so amazing that even Douglas Adams would be proud.  Of course, there's a large degree of either ignoring the already known broken story elements, or an outright belief that they can't be broken because the Ds did it, therefore it's correct.

Meanwhile, people able to see past their own nose are going, "WTF?"

7 hours ago, TNTW said:

Sansa or Tyrion could have been heroes of the crypts. She had dragonglass dagger. Give it to Tyrion, pull it out sooner, something. When undead Starks first emerging, they would have been pretty easy to take care of. It bothers me that they all just freaked out and hid. Tyrion has proven himself to be no craven. Yet, when Sansa pulled out dagger, he did nothing....

Actually, it seems that a scene was filmed where Sansa and Tyrion actually kills at least one of the undead with that dagger. But they left it out.

6 minutes ago, State Trooper said:

Yea, with a Valyrian steel dagger. Don't see the problem.

Dragonglass and Valyrian steel have elements of fire in them , Valyrian steel is said to be made with spells and forged orginally with dragonfire so the idea that magic dragonfire couldn't kill the NightKing is like saying a tanning bed could kill a vampire but Sunlight couldn't, it just doesn't make any sense.

Just now, State Trooper said:

Yea, with a Valyrian steel dagger. Don't see the problem.

Why does stabing him with valyrian steel work? Does the show even tell you how valyrian steel is made? Besides resisting the ww ice weapons what do you even know of valyrian steel? What is so special about it? Hasn t anybody in the last 8000 years seriously stabed the NK? Shot him with an arrow?

Just now, Dragons Are Real said:

I think a lot of the "big" youtubers and review sites are directly paid or sponsored by the content companies to give reviews.  I also think there are a huge number of people still clinging to the belief the end payoff will be so fantastic it will make all the possible questions just disappear in a puff of story logic so amazing that even Douglas Adams would be proud.  Of course, there's a large degree of either ignoring the already known broken story elements, or an outright belief that they can't be broken because the Ds did it, therefore it's correct.

Meanwhile, people able to see past their own nose are going, "WTF?"

For all reasons that have been said here this episode is probably the worst written thing for tv ever made. I think it would be very hard to find anything that is logical, doesn t contradict the previous seasons or that is well done in this episode.

People should be ashamed to say this is a fantastic episode… We couldn t even see half of what was happening and people can defend it! It feels like the world has gone insane. I don t understand how people can expect to have credibility when they aren t honest...

1 hour ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

The thing is, the big youtubers/western/social media, have nothing but positivity regarding the episode. I'm baffled honestly.

Like I'm not THAT smart of a person. When everyone said, season 7 wasn't good, I disagreed. I understood all of the criticism but I still enjoyed it. So if a numb numb like me can see the glaring mess that was episode 3, how come most of the people are not only liking it, but aggressively defending it. I tried reading the EW article about Maise Williams and her reaction to her being the one to kill the NK, her boyfriend said ''should've been Jon though, shoudn't it ?'' and immediately the comment section hated on him saying Maise should get a new boyfriend. In terms of story and buildup, it's only normal for people to think Jon should have gotten the kill. Has nothing to do with his gender. It's just an opinion. But to immediately see that as a reason to judge the person and label him without knowing the intend and the reasoning for saying that is very off putting. It's downright terrifying tbh ''You either think like me or we will burn you''. The entire EW comment section, not 1 criticism on there. After reading the comment section, I felt dumber. They were seriously defending the glaring flaws of the episode. I'm guessing, that there is a lot of MODERATION going on. They only approve the positive comments. Which is even more terrifying isn't it ?The big youtubers are the same. They're clearly intelligent people, most of them. But it's like they're afraid to give their honest opinion. Not much to say about social media. I feel like almost all of them are shallow ignorant superficial beings. At least based on my surroundings and the people I know.

I think there is some damage control going on and the real questions/criticism is being oppressed and policed.

I wish I lived in an alternate universe where talk show hosts actually weren't afraid or policed to ask the REAL questions instead of the cookie cutter questions.

Really?  I don't follow the youtubers and influencers, but I've seen a lot of bloggers and old school media critics being fairly critical of this episode.  There is of course a huge contingent of the fans who never cared about anything but battles and deaths, and so illogical plots don't matter to them.  But, I kind of feel that this last episode, the show has used up a lot of the benefit of doubt it has been given the last few years.  I also sense that some people are holding out hope that it will still be tied up in some type of intelligent manner, but I can't imagine that happening after 803, which conclusively shows that the showrunners don't understand their own story or what makes it tick.

Jesus! It's mentioned throughout the show that Valyrian steel will kill the dead. I honestly don't see what's so difficult to understand. 

Because both Valyrian steel and dragonglass should be LESSER forms of 'dragon fire' you know, that actual dragon fire.  It's not difficult to understand that both Valryian steel and dragonglass kill the dead & WW, what is inconsistent here is that actual dragon fire has no effect on the NK.

Now that I've had some time to digest it I've realized what bothered me so much about the NK death.  He was built up to be some relentless, unstoppable, mythical threat and his great downfall was a cheap trick.  Not the culmination of a herculean effort from our heroes, or the result of a master plan coming together.  Just some sleight of hand.  This would've been a great way to kill the Mountain, or Euron, or a regular walker but not the Night King.  His death should've required something special.  Now I'm left with the impression that there are a dozen characters we've met along the way that could've killed him.

He wouldn't even get within 25 feet of Daario.  Oberyn could kill three of him at once.  That one archer from the Brotherhood would've made a pincushion out of him.  Syrio would have no problem.  Waif would wreck him as long as there is an inkling of light for her to see.  I'd put money on Drogo.  Even odds for Patchface.

5 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I have HBO Now.  1st and Ten hasn't ever been there.  Unless they just added it in the last month or so.  I usually check about every three months.

In more topical news:

I'm beginning to see cracks in the show apologists today.  Those that originally said episode 3 is amazing are starting to say that if we don't get any further exposition on the Night King, the entire show may actually be a waste.

Of course, some others are saying that they have complete faith in the show because it always follows through on every promise.  I'm trying to determine what show they think they're watching, because it can't be GoT.

Hahahahaha, that's the best laugh I've had all day, thank you. 

Jesus! It's mentioned throughout the show that Valyrian steel will kill the dead. I honestly don't see what's so difficult to understand. 

Fire is also mentioned to kill the dead. As is dragon glass.

So the only thing anyone had to do to end the ww during the last 8000 years is stab the NK or shot him with an arrow? Like, seriously?

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. Do you lot just make it up as you go along?

No, it's obvious that this is a BS plot hole and the show just wanted a cool scene and doesn't care about any of the facts that have already been set up.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Fire is also mentioned to kill the dead. As is dragon glass.

So the only thing anyone had to do to end the ww during the last 8000 years is stab the NK or shot him with an arrow? Like, seriously?

Looks like it.

Maybe you should stop watching it if it bothers you that much.

I've watched for 7 years, I can stand 3 more episodes of dumb, stupid, senseless 'story'.  But thanks for your advice.

5 minutes ago, State Trooper said:

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. Do you lot just make it up as you go along?

I think you throw your lot in with D&Ds thinking that if it's magic then any old shit can happen. There was a certain amount of world building involved in this story you might have noticed and everything even magic has its own backstory and established strengths and weaknesses. You don't have an icedemon Nightking which has a clear vulnerablity to fire suddenly impervious to Dragonfire even though he has never once in his 8000 years + encountered a Dragon, it's just stupid

Archived