Scott Lynch's Thorn of Emberlain is Not Completed

Jerol

On 6/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, Ran said:

How is Abercrombie doing over there? I can see Kijarva published a translation of The Blade Itself, but can't see if they've published any others.

I forgot to answer your question.

Kirjava translated all three books in the First Law trilogy, but very slowly. The Blade Itself was published in Finnish in 2009, Before They Are Hanged in 2013, and Last Argument of Kings in December 2019, ten years after TBI! Perhaps the books sold poorly, and that was the reason for slow publishing schedule. I don't know.

Another Finnish publisher Jalava translated Abercrombie's YA trilogy - all three volumes of the Shattered Sea were released in 2016. I don't know how well they sold. Abercrombie's books have never hit bestseller lists in Finland. There also haven't been paperback editions or second printings. I wonder if we will ever get a new Finnish translation from Abercrombie.

• 5 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 10:03 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s been a year and a half since the manuscript was turned in... any word on a publication date for The Thorn of Emberlain?

Nope.

I asked Scott if there was any news a couple of months back and did not get a reply.

Edited by Werthead

18 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

The manuscript obviously didn't pass muster and the editorial notes probably forced him to go back to the drawing board.

Let's hope that the book will be published in 2021.

I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. We know from the Republic of Thieves iteration of this cycle that Scott's major stumbling block seems to be rewriting and revisions and that's where his mental health issues seems to cause problems. Given he had a personally horrible 2020 plus the muted reception to RoT probably making him want to make this book a lot stronger, and you have the recipe for much greater prevarication and delays.

Luckily the series (so far) has been relatively episodic, so I'm filing it under "check it out whenever it comes out" rather than "waiting for release with bated breath".

Edited by Werthead

Lynch is a bestselling author for both Bantam Spectra and Gollancz. Anne and Gillian likely got back to him with their editorial notes within the span of a couple of weeks. Given that this was 18 months ago and no pub date has been announced in the meantime means that there was a lot of work to be done to make the book everything it was meant to be.

Sure 2020 in general and Scott's personal problems didn't help. But such a long delay also implies that there were issues with the quality of the novel that postponed its release.

For me, it's still a title that I'll be reading as soon as I get my hands on it. And we should probably thank his editors for accepting nothing less than his best effort. :)

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Lynch is a bestselling author for both Bantam Spectra and Gollancz. Anne and Gillian likely got back to him with their editorial notes within the span of a couple of weeks. Given that this was 18 months ago and no pub date has been announced in the meantime means that there was a lot of work to be done to make the book everything it was meant to be.

Sure 2020 in general and Scott's personal problems didn't help. But such a long delay also implies that there were issues with the quality of the novel that postponed its release.

For me, it's still a title that I'll be reading as soon as I get my hands on it. And we should probably thank his editors for accepting nothing less than his best effort. :)

Oh, I’m right there with you.  I’m realy excited to get to the “meat” of the larger story.

Well, contrary to GRRM, Lynch turned in a complete manuscript. It's just a question that there appears to be a lot of work to be done to bring it up to par. Granted, 18 months is a long time, but we can only hope that the final edit is coming soon and we might get the book before the end of the year.

Some people have wondered if the manuscript was turned in just so he could receive the money owed to him. It is a legitimate question, I suppose. The advance from a book deal usually comes in 3 installments: When you sign the contract, when the manuscript is turned in, and lastly when the novel is published.

In any event, I'm confident we'll be getting this new Lynch book in 2021. Or at least I hope we will!

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Well, contrary to GRRM, Lynch turned in a complete manuscript. It's just a question that there appears to be a lot of work to be done to bring it up to par. Granted, 18 months is a long time, but we can only hope that the final edit is coming soon and we might get the book before the end of the year.

Some people have wondered if the manuscript was turned in just so he could receive the money owed to him. It is a legitimate question, I suppose. The advance from a book deal usually comes in 3 installments: When you sign the contract, when the manuscript is turned in, and lastly when the novel is published.

In any event, I'm confident we'll be getting this new Lynch book in 2021. Or at least I hope we will!

How long does it take a book to be printed and in readers hands from the point when the manuscript is copy edited and completed? 

I'm excited for the book, even if it takes another year or so. It makes it a bit more likely to have a successful Summon Author roll when the time comes. I'm sure he finds it a lot more fun here when we're all frantically discussing what atrocities he's submitting Locke and Jean to this time, instead of peeking over his fence all the time, wondering when he'll mow his yard. Sorry, Scott, for what it's worth, and we'll be waiting at the pub.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair though Dance with Dragons took two and a half between the final revisions coming in and publication.

I think they can expedite things like that for a book they expect to be a big seller, but that might not apply here.

Yes, and Robert Jordan's A Crown of Swords was completed in a hotel room and hit the shelves 6 weeks later. But GRRM and RJ were sure number 1 bestsellers on the NYT list, and as such they're the exceptions, not the norm.

We can always hope that Lynch will receive the same treatment, though! :)

22 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Usually 8 to 12 months.

Unless you're Tor Books, when it might be 6 weeks and it might be 3 years depending on how the company is melting down today.

Although Scott's publishers aren't Tor Books, so that's not really a factor.

I know Gollancz regard Scott as a reasonable priority so they won't sit on it for a long time once it's done.