Prequel Pilot Filming Begins

Westeros

“Bloodmoon”—the likely-temporary title for the Game of Thrones prequel headed by Jane Goldman—has officially begun filming, according to a report from James Hibberd at EW. There were rumors filming in fact started last month, but those flew in the face of Casey Bloys and others indicating that June was the start date.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

On 6/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, Westeros said:

“Bloodmoon”—the likely-temporary title for the Game of Thrones prequel headed by Jane Goldman—has officially begun filming, according to a report from James Hibberd at EW. There were rumors filming in fact started last month, but those flew in the face of Casey Bloys and others indicating that June was the start date.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

Such exciting news as this is the period that most interests me, mainly as a result of your and Linda's WoIaF as well as Old Nan's Tales.  I read somewhere Ran that Jane took two sentences from WoIaF as her 'in' to the prequel.  If you know what they are, no need to divulge, but if you don't I'd love to hear your best guess!

The title Bloodmoon is pretty evocative.  Reminds me of LmL's posts as well as the second moon full of dragons that shattered myth.

This should be exciting news but considering they changed so much of the mythology in GoT, my reaction is just "meh." Before S7 began to air, I was excited that the prequel/"successor" shows would delve into things like where the Others came from or how dragons were made. But now we know that some hooman got magiked and dragons were never that important anyway (except for conquest).  

49 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

This should be exciting news but considering they changed so much of the mythology in GoT, my reaction is just "meh." Before S7 began to air, I was excited that the prequel/"successor" shows would delve into things like where the Others came from or how dragons were made. But now we know that some hooman got magiked and dragons were never that important anyway (except for conquest).  

There might not be dragons but that doesn't mean we don't get a lead in to how Dragon bonding was created.  The budget is supposed to be a lot more per episode than GOT so I'm hoping we'll get more special effects for wargs and direwolves, shapechanging and animals (would love to see Mormonts and bears, for example) and other myth and supernatural features. Also, I was intrigued by the fact the human was so obviously unwilling to be changed into an Other.  What was his story?  Tons of interesting things they can do.

The one thing I really hope they keep is the families.  The Starks, the Lannisters, Arryns,  Greyjoys, Mormonts, Fishers, etc.  I also subscribe to the theory that Valyrians (before they were named Valyrians), originated as dragon-bonding people in Westeros that moved east, so even though no Targs would appear their proto-ancestors might.  I am very certain we'd see Hightowers and Daynes. 

They can do almost anything, really, but I very much hope they hinge the story on the families already created and the lore from WoIaF and the books.

7 hours ago, Lady Barbrey said:

The budget is supposed to be a lot more per episode than GOT

Where did you read that?

7 hours ago, Lady Barbrey said:

I was intrigued by the fact the human was so obviously unwilling to be changed into an Other.  What was his story?

It was already in the show. He was one of the First Men who invaded Westeros, got captured, and was subjected to a magical curse. Why would it be surprising that he was scared when the enemy inserts some thing inside him? It's the same story as in dozens of werewolf, vampire, superhero, and Resident Evil movies. 

Considering it's called "Bloodmoon," the show is probably set in the North, probably near the Wall. It may involve direwolves and Starks. Not sure how they would make it a continent-spanning storyline. They reduced the role of direwolves in GoT so I don't see how they would play a prominent role in the prequel. Ghost was essentially reduced to a pet dog and the other direwolves went off screen fairly quickly. 

On 6/22/2019 at 5:41 AM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Where did you read that?

It was already in the show. He was one of the First Men who invaded Westeros, got captured, and was subjected to a magical curse. Why would it be surprising that he was scared when the enemy inserts some thing inside him? It's the same story as in dozens of werewolf, vampire, superhero, and Resident Evil movies. 

Considering it's called "Bloodmoon," the show is probably set in the North, probably near the Wall. It may involve direwolves and Starks. Not sure how they would make it a continent-spanning storyline. They reduced the role of direwolves in GoT so I don't see how they would play a prominent role in the prequel. Ghost was essentially reduced to a pet dog and the other direwolves went off screen fairly quickly. 

Okay, so I get the show 's ending  was a huge letdown for many people (not me because I had absolutely no expectations for it after season 5) but is that a reason to throw cold water on the prequels?

Also, thanks for "explaining" the obvious - I was intrigued by his personal story not some blanket First Man thing.

Re the budget: I would try to find it but since I'm finding you confrontational, or maybe so pissed off about the show you can't help spreading the joy,  go look it up yourself.  I've only read a few articles so a Google should get  results.  

I think what they indicated was that the budget of the prequels was going to start higher than the budget of the first season of GoT (see here). This doesn't meant they're going to start at the same point as late-series GoT was in terms of per-episode budget, though. I'd guess it'll be nearer a $75 million first season, if ordered.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:18 AM, Lady Barbrey said:

Re the budget: I would try to find it but since I'm finding you confrontational, or maybe so pissed off about the show you can't help spreading the joy,  go look it up yourself.  I've only read a few articles so a Google should get  results.  

No, back up your own facts. 

On 6/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Not sure how they would make it a continent-spanning storyline.

The short synopsis referred both to the Starks "of old" and to the "mysteries of the East" i.e. likely the Great Empire of the Dawn, the Bloodstone Emperor and the Lion of Night etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know how to feel about them going back in for a story with direwolves.

I thought the potential for awesomeness with direwolves was all over game of thrones. But then I was extremely let down with the storylines of almost every one.  Lady was pretty much the only one they didn't miss on for me and that was the GRRM layup.  Would have liked to see Grey Wind ride into battle with Robb but they did ok there.    I hope summer makes it out of the tree... That's why they brought Holddoor.  I wanted Nymeria to show back up and do something, Arya also warging Nymeria to bring to battle for winterfell against night king could have been cool.  

I'm just less convinced at this point that they will make an awesome westeros story with direwolves... But I also can't wait to watch it and am gonna hope for the best 

I think it doesn t matter how cool they try to make this show. 

Almost everything in it has strong ties to GOT and everything related to magic or the starks and wights was terribly ended... 

Like, we should want to know about the backstabbing, opportunistic xenophobic starks? There wasn t nothing special about them... 

Or who wants to know about the others? There is absolutly no story there nor a master plan... 

Or the wargs that GOT kind of forgot? 

There is too much negativity tied to this show... 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:57 AM, Lollygag said:

My problem is zero trust in HBO to make sure their shows don't go so off the rails that they become international jokes.

Ok, so I guess they only interfere with show quality for absurd reasons like this. Way to go HBO.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/big-little-lies-andrea-arnold-creative-control-report.html

Wasn't there a line somewhere about this show - I think when the pilot was first greenlit? - that said something along the lines of, "find out about the true history and the true origin of the WWs; history isn't what you think it is"? That seems to suggest that what David and Dan did w/ the creation of the WWs was indeed rubbish. Shocking, innit. 

Or the line just echoes GRRM and his use of the unreliable narrator to muddy the waters of events and timelines. Sometimes things aren't always a dig at GoT like so many here interpret them to be, despite the awfulness of the last season(s) that kind of warrants it at times. Hopefully people give this show a chance before they start shitting on it.

Archived