Martell Spy

U.S. Politics: Moscow Mitch

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I almost posted earlier something like "how long before Trumpworld links Epstein's death to the Clinton's" not that this would have shown any particular insight by me.  So predictable.  

The whole thing is the stuff of conspiracy theories, unfortunately.  

Judging by how fast Hillary Clinton memes and remarks have proliferated from friends-of-friends on social media, I'd say the strategy went live within minutes of the news going out.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Posted (edited)

@DanteGabriel

I'd meant to reply earlier on your comment on Greenwald, but it slipped my mind, and seeing your last post reminded me.

He had a long interview in this Chapo Trap House podcast that me and larry and Simon have mentioned.  The Mueller part was really meh, and I've ripped him a few times in here in the last year or so on his whole Fox News thing and how he seems like a Russian asset or something.  This has felt believable to me given that back in his Salon days he was so anti-Bush that it made me think he was so anti-US establishment as to be pro-Russian in some kind of enemy-of-my-enemy way.

But the rest of this interview, and I'd welcome comments from @larrytheimp or @Simon (why the fuck does your name not come up on the search) on whether they agree if they heard this, was incredible.  It was all about Bolsonaro and stuff he's doing in Brazil, and how shitty it is, and it was so articulate, so well-prosecuted, if you will.  And all coming from a situation where it seems like he should genuinely fear for his life.  It was kind of awesome and inspiring, and it really reminded me of the old GG.  

Still struggling to reconcile the whole thing on how this guy can be such a fascist-hater on the one hand and then go on Fox news to sort of defend Trump on the other hand.  

Edited by Triskele

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Triskele said:

@DanteGabriel

I'd meant to reply earlier on your comment on Greenwald, but it slipped my mind, and seeing your last post reminded me.

He had a long interview in this Chapo Trap House podcast that me and larry and Simon have mentioned.  The Mueller part was really meh, and I've ripped him a few times in here in the last year or so on his whole Fox News thing and how he seems like a Russian asset or something.  This has felt believable to me given that back in his Salon days he was so anti-Bush that it made me think he was so anti-US establishment as to be pro-Russian in some kind of enemy-of-my-enemy way.

But the rest of this interview, and I'd welcome comments from @larrytheimp or @Simon (why the fuck does your name not come up on the search) on whether they agree if they heard this, was incredible.  It was all about Bolsonaro and stuff he's going in Brazil, and how shitty it is, and it was so articulate, so well-prosecuted, if you will.  And all coming from a situation where it seems like he should genuinely fear for his life.  It was kind of awesome and inspiring, and it really reminded me of the old GG.  

Still struggling to reconcile the whole thing on how this guy can be such a fascist-hater on the one hand and then go on Fox news to sort of defend Trump on the other hand.  

i can’t speak for anyone else, but yeah, greenwald (and to an even greater extent some of the rest of the intercept, looking at you lee fang) have some very shitty, borderline reactionary takes, especially in terms of free speech absolutism, prison abolition, etc. and while i generally agree [eta: with greenwald] the russia election shit is no where near the mess a lot of us liberal media make it out to be, he does goes too far in his putin apologia. that being said, he is still one hell of an investigative journalist, and brave as hell, and a lot of people dismiss his valid points and even his current terrible situation because of said pint addresses above. 

Edited by a good and nice guy

23 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

i can’t speak for anyone else, but yeah, greenwald (and to an even greater extent some of the rest of the intercept, looking at you lee fang) have some very shitty, borderline reactionary takes, especially in terms of free speech absolutism, prison abolition, etc. and while i generally agree [eta: with greenwald] the russia election shit is no where near the mess a lot of us liberal media make it out to be, he does goes too far in his putin apologia. that being said, he is still one hell of an investigative journalist, and brave as hell, and a lot of people dismiss his valid points and even his current terrible situation because of said pint addresses above. 

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.  While a part of his recent Fox News stuff has driven me crazy, he's still aces in other areas. 

Posted (edited)

yeah, basically i stopped following his occasionally stupid ass on twitter, but still check on the intercept fairly regularly

and of course want only the best for him and his family in brasil 

Edited by a good and nice guy

8 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

biden needs to just go away lol.

That's not a gaffe, that's clear evidence of mental decline. Let's just hope that Democratic primary electorate recognizes this in time.

Elderly Washington Couple Dies in Murder-Suicide Blamed on Worries Over Medical Bills

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/08/washington-couple-murder-suicide-medical-bills.html

An elderly couple who died by murder-suicide in the state of Washington Wednesday left notes for police explaining that they were worried about medical bills. Law enforcement officials say Brian S. Jones, 77, shot and killed Patricia A. Whitney-Jones, 76, before turning the gun on himself.

The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office published a detailed report of the murder-suicide on its Facebook page, noting they received a 911 call from the 77-year-old man saying he was going to kill himself, detailing how he left a note with instructions. The dispatcher tried to keep him on the phone but the man hung up. When police arrived, the couple was already dead.

“Several notes were left citing severe ongoing medical problems with the wife and expressing concerns that the couple did not have sufficient resources to pay for medical care,” notes the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office.

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

@DanteGabriel

But the rest of this interview, and I'd welcome comments from @larrytheimp or @Simon (why the fuck does your name not come up on the search) on whether they agree if they heard this, was incredible.  It was all about Bolsonaro and stuff he's doing in Brazil, and how shitty it is, and it was so articulate, so well-prosecuted, if you will.  And all coming from a situation where it seems like he should genuinely fear for his life.  It was kind of awesome and inspiring, and it really reminded me of the old GG.  

I listened recently Trisk (sometimes I hold off the interviews for when I have time to pay closer attention), and I'm glad I did. I think your point about Greenwald being an asset just because of how anti-Government he was makes sense. When the Snowden stuff, there were people who began looking at Russia as a good actor in that (and what they did in granting asylum to Snowden was good, I'd say, but clearly clearly politically motivated). I've always liked Greenwald on a lot of things, though he has his issues too. He's in a lot of danger now, but he's such an activist he doesn't seem too concerned (or as concerned as I would be!). It's a good interview. I think he's a complicated person and hard to pin down for sure. He is anti-fascist, but despite that label, he seems to have not fully formed/pinned down his ideology. Or everything is so corrupt, he is working with whatever he can. I don't know.

10 hours ago, Gorn said:

That's not a gaffe, that's clear evidence of mental decline. Let's just hope that Democratic primary electorate recognizes this in time.

It could be, I agree. Coupled with his strange moments of struggling for words in the debate (topped off with the 30330 or whatever), there are concerns for sure. I didn't think of cognitive decline when I heard this, I thought, "Oh, he's so used to lying about everything (politician) that he believes this. Like Brian Williams' helicopter story."

I see from CNN reports that right-wing fucktards across the US are amusing themselves by making threats against Walmart. At least 8 stores have been targeted. In Florida some guy posted he had three days left on probation and would then go out and buy an AR-15, and warned folks not to shop at Walmart next week. He was arrested. Florida, where someone at a Trump rally yelled out ‘shoot ‘em’.

25 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see from CNN reports that right-wing fucktards across the US are amusing themselves by making threats against Walmart. At least 8 stores have been targeted. In Florida some guy posted he had three days left on probation and would then go out and buy an AR-15, and warned folks not to shop at Walmart next week. He was arrested. Florida, where someone at a Trump rally yelled out ‘shoot ‘em’.

His mugshot makes him seem like a real swell guy.  

Something really nasty about this problem is that it feels like if the state took more actions to pre-emptively go after folks like this it would also feed their paranoia.