Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

43 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's true that a couple of years ago, prior to us getting Van Dijk, I'd have thought it was an absolute disaster to draw Atletico. We are better at playing teams who sit back now but, ideally, I think we'd still rather play a more attacking side the front three can counter on. It's not the end of the world but they're probably the worst side we could have drawn.

Still, it's hard to get too worked up about it on the back of winning last year. It's a relatively tough draw, either we win or we don't. :dunno:

Simeone will set up to be defensively sound the way he usually does but I also think that he will have Atleti committing numbers forward on the counter which should open things up a bit. Simeone isn't stupid and will know that Atleti likely need to score at least two goals in the tie to have a chance. It's not like before where you could just set up ultra defensively and also be confident that the Liverpool defenders will eventually shit the bed and gift a soft goal. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Italian anti racism poster monkey fiasco. WTF. 

That is incredibly bad.  I kind of get the idea behind it, but it is still bad, and terribly executed.  Maybe if the white and asian monkeys actually looked white and asian, it might have worked.  

9 hours ago, Raja said:

I think Howe could be okay for Everton.

Also, yeah, that italian anti racism poster is quite something.

Given our current defense, and his ability to concede .. no.

I don't trust him on that account, and I think his style of play, while entertaining, would end in complete havoc given our current situation.

ETA: while Ancelotti may be  true still, it seems the press has jumped the gun for the 14 083 482th time in the 11 days gone since Silva left. At this rate, Trump and BoZo are about as trustworthy, which is ... quite a mean feat.

It's kinda funny how much Ancelotti's apparent market value has dropped since he joined Bayern as Guardiola successor, three years ago?

First he got sacked there in a pretty undignified manner, with the players particularly unimpressed with him, his training sessions and man management.

Then he went to Napoli, whcih he is now leaving with some sort of players revolt (they did refuse to go to training camp there, right?).

And now Everton.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Then he went to Napoli, whcih he is now leaving with some sort of players revolt (they did refuse to go to training camp there, right?).

It wasn’t against Ancelotti. The owner wanted to send the players to some sort of punitive training camp the players refused and I think Ancelotti sort of backed the players.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It wasn’t against Ancelotti. The owner wanted to send the players to some sort of punitive training camp the players refused and I think Ancelotti sort of backed the players.

I am not sure what exactly happened there. IIRC, the players flew back to Napoli after their CL encounter in Salzburg, the coaching staff however followed the clubs orders and reported at training camp, just to fly home a day later. Actually backing the players looks a bit different imho. This was more the equivalent to Corbyn's Brexit position. I back my players, but I also follow the will of the people above.

Anyway, back to more current stuff.

Midweek features in the Bundesliga.

I think Kohfeldt might be out of the job by the end of the year. They hoped to compete for EL spots this season, and not go into a relegation battle. Granted they lost their best player in Kruse (off to Istanbul before the season) and have had injury problems, but losing 5-0 at home to Mainz is asking some awkward questions.

Schalke's Nübel has been dealt a four match ban (deservedly) for his red card against Frankfurt last WE.

Oh, Dortmund seems to have found their footing again, they are up 2-0 against Leipzig.

Isn't your u23 supposed to play Villa today, too?

54 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Isn't your u23 supposed to play Villa today, too?

It's not even a full strength u23 side with Jones and Williams in Qatar and Brewster not fit but they're losing 4-0. The scoreline's a bit harsh with one flukey deflection for a goal and them getting caught out with some naive play a few times. They haven't been too bad.

Elliott and Hoever are clearly the stand out talents in this team. If Liverpool end up having to play Van den Berg in the Premier League that'll be a problem.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Van den Berg is 17, he's not going to be anywhere near the first team for a while.

Ideally he won't be but with Matip and Lovren injured and the only really obvious emergency centreback cover from other positions in Fabinho also injured he's a little closer to first team action than I'd like at this stage of his development. They'd probably end up just playing Milner, he's covering every other position.

44 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think Hoever would be used before him too, though that wouldn't be ideal either.

Agreed.  Hoever looks far ahead of SvdB.  Plenty of time yet for the latter to develop, but he doesn’t look ready at all for a first team appearance now.

The game tonight was a bit of a farce. We had a mix of U-23 and U-18 kids playing against a PL senior team in the quarterfinals of a cup.  Liverpool were basically kicked out of the cup for the CWC, but none of the other clubs will kick up a fuss on our behalf because they have better odds with Liverpool out, and they don’t expect to be in the CWC themselves.

I think the kids acquitted themselves well in the LC this year. It’s not nice to have a 5-0 loss on your CV, but they were forced into that situation.

Archived