Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

It’s no surprise at all.  This is United now: they raise their intensity against the big teams, defend in numbers and rely on pace to nick a goal.  And they do have a lot of pace in James and Rashford. 

But if an opponent won’t conveniently give them their ideal set-up, then they have no tactical clue of how to proceed.  I know United fans made a big deal of Solskjær figuring out how to nullify Pep’s system, but two pacy wide forwards running behind the FBs is Solskjær’s only tactic, it just happens to work well against City and Liverpool who push their FBs forward (wide forward for Liverpool, into central MF for City).

So United will have a flattering record against the teams above them in the league, but there’ll be quite a few of those. 

I'd like to say that this was a surprise but sadly it was very much expected. Another embarrassing performance to add to the rapidly growing list of embarrassing performances under Solskjaer. Our squad isn't that good, sure, but it's not as bad as this (Mourinho in meltdown mode was still better than this) - our manager and coaching staff are League One level at best. I hope we are doing everything we can to get Poch. 

All the liverpool fans on my facebook timeline need to calm the fuck down. The champions league, supercup, world club championship treble? 2 of them are practically fucking friendlies.  Who gives a shit?

If they get tired and start dropping points from the pointless trip, mid season, for a glamour game in a place they shouldn't be playing anyway it will be fucking hilarious (I still hope they win the league).  

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All the liverpool fans on my facebook timeline need to calm the fuck down. The champions league, supercup, world club championship treble? 2 of them are practically fucking friendlies.  Who gives a shit?  

100% agree.

While it definitely is nice to win both European Supercup and World Club Championship, I don't think there are any Liverpool FC players, staff or fans who would consider this season a success if the club stopped there.

The league is already in the bag for Liverpool anyway. The only thing that can prevent a cakewalk to the title would be losing half the starting lineup to long term injuries.

ETA. Di Marzio reporting that Atleti have reached an agreement with Cavani for a 3 year contract. If this is true then I don't think it's a very good deal for Atleti. Cavani has already declined and Icardi is keeping him out of the PSG starting XI on merit. Not sure he has the legs to play at the highest level for 3 more years. Ever since Atleti became big spenders, they've made some expensive but poor choices in the transfer market - Lemar who has pretty much flopped, Costa who is crocked and finished, Morata is Morata and a ridiculous fee for Joao Felix who had half a good season in a weak Portuguese league. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

......aaaaaand the Giants lose any chance they might have had at landing Chase Young. Granted, he might go first overall, in which case it would be moot, but Young seems (IMO) to be the only dominant defensive player in this draft, and their defense is abysmal 

Not that kind of football.

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

......aaaaaand the Giants lose any chance they might have had at landing Chase Young. Granted, he might go first overall, in which case it would be moot, but Young seems (IMO) to be the only dominant defensive player in this draft, and their defense is abysmal 

Wrong thread, this is the football thread - where the ball is played with the foot.

20 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Spurs for some reason are going to appeal Son's red card. Rudiger overreacted but that was a clear red card. This would be the very definition of frivolous and is more likely to result in the ban being increased to 4 games rather than being overturned. 

Maybe it's Mourinho trying to get his favorite fort mentality in place. Him and his brave team against the viel outside powers that have conspired against them. So that extra game might even come in handy for him to advance that narrative.

He just has to convince his players and fans to buy into it. And it's not like fans (including sincerely yours) are always reasonable and objective observers

Archived