Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

unless one is specifically discussing or performing derridean analysis.

... or maybe even then?

Sorry, I just never completely understood Derrida. That might be my problem. :leaving:

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

My new hate word is rona.

I think it sounds like a great name for a female dog, actually.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

This may be super specific, but I hate the soft tho sound in Spanish. I loath the word Chorizo.

I am not familiar with this word - does it contain the same sound as in Barthelona? It sounds annoying to me too. :leaving:

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

never completely understood Derrida.

that's everyone, though.

Thank you, I am now greatly relieved. I feared I was the stupidest person on this forum. (No really, I know that barely anybody actually understands what deconstruction is about.)

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

This may be super specific, but I hate the soft tho sound in Spanish. I loath the word Chorizo.

I hate listening to people try and say this as they inevitably adopt a terrible Spanish accent 

7 hours ago, Leap said:

I suppose this thread isn't really about typos or mistakes, but I just want to add that it is infuriating when people on the internet mistake common animals. Wildebeest and buffalo. Crocodiles and alligators. A frequent one lately seems to be seals and sea lions. :angry2:

Or men and women. We should use a collective term we can all agree on... Soylent Green. :leaving:

This is just an oddity that has stuck me since I heard it a few years ago. A couple of young guys were discussing the promotion round at work and one said "Have you sent in your app?" Which I could not compute for a minute. I suppose if you shorten application to app for digital applications then why not for a job application?

the word 'pretentious'

in my experience, it seems that most usages of this term simply assume, without warrant, the requisite pretense on the part of their interlocutor, which seems to make it a good example of a homological signifier.

I've had a longstanding aversion to hearing someone say, "I feel badly . . ." about something.  

It's gradually caught on despite it being an incorrect usage, and now you hear it from the mouths of announcers all the time.

You don't say, "I feel goodly . . ." about something, do you?  NO.

Side note:  If this IS correct usage in any other country outside of the US, my sincerest apologies, etc., etc. 

31 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I've had a longstanding aversion to hearing someone say, "I feel badly . . ." about something.  

It's gradually caught on despite it being an incorrect usage, and now you hear it from the mouths of announcers all the time.

You don't say, "I feel goodly . . ." about something, do you?  NO.

Side note:  If this IS correct usage in any other country outside of the US, my sincerest apologies, etc., etc. 

I feel bigly badly that you feel that way.

I dislike seeing "life" used to modify certain nouns - the ones I can think of are "choices" as in "life choices" and "tasks" as in "life tasks". 

I just feel it's unnecessary - a kind of symptom of the slightly self-obsessed, Instagram element of modern society. 

Choices. Tasks. There's dignity in brevity. 

47 minutes ago, Leap said:

I think both are legitimate, it's just that "goodly" is, for whatever reason, out of popular usage. I have definitely used it in the sense of quantity though, which reading your comment I do feel badly about.

I tend to think that both "bad" and "badly" are acceptable in this context since they are both widely used. However, the basic pattern for the structure is like @Tears of LysLys said feel + adjective.*

Goodly as far as I know has never existed as an adverb (I am ready to be corrected on this). 

* Unless you are using the word feel to talk about action rather than perception/emotion. Compare he felt awkward with he felt his way awkwardly along the ledge. 

Archived