MCUniverse Thread: Visualizing WandaVision

A True Kaniggit

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So? He wasn't the sole writer/director of the two you mentioned either.

No, but he was the showrunner. I think it's fair to blame a director or showrunner for a bad movie or show. I don't think it makes sense to blame a bad movie on one of it's many writers. You don't know who wrote what and often the writer who did the first draft gets a credit even if very little of that draft is used. 

I think he's better off in TV where he has more control over his projects. Films are still director -oriented (MCU films are arguably Kevin Feige oriented). Unless Lindelof is allowed free-reign I think he's best away from films. Does he ever direct? That's a key factor in protecting your story in movies. In TV the writer/showrunner tends to have more power than the director - especially after the first 3 episodes.

He seems great at stand-alone episodes of TV. There were excellent episodes of Lost, some of the second and third season episodes of The Leftovers were fantastic even by themselves, and then there’s that Hooded Justice episode. I think there’s potential for him to do a great MCU series if they pair him with something suitable.

He does have the ability to create wonderful tv with ideas with actual depth and meaning. But he also is constantly treading the line into baffling nonsense and stupidity. Even Leftovers which is one of my favourite shows ever, occasionally did things that made you roll your eyes and wonder whether there was ever an intelligent mind writing it.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

He does have the ability to create wonderful tv with ideas with actual depth and meaning. But he also is constantly treading the line into baffling nonsense and stupidity. Even Leftovers which is one of my favourite shows ever, occasionally did things that made you roll your eyes and wonder whether there was ever an intelligent mind writing it.

Not to get too off topic, but like what? 

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I know enough about what he wrote for both Lost and Prometheus that I never want him to touch anything again.

Edit: This is kind of a pointless argument anyway. I think he sucks. You do not think he sucks.

I'll just add that after Lost ended I felt the same way you did. I just liked The Leftovers that much. Then Watchmen. But Lost was pretty good early on, in my opinion they never really recovered from the writers' strike and there was just no way they were every gonna answer all the mysteries they built up satisfactory. That final season really blew though. 

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Does he ever direct?

Not so far, I was thinking he could run one of the Disney+ shows. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'll just add that after Lost ended I felt the same way you did. I just liked The Leftovers that much. Then Watchmen. But Lost was pretty good early on, in my opinion they never really recovered from the writers' strike and there was just no way they were every gonna answer all the mysteries they build up satisfactory. That final season really blew though. 

Not so far, I was thinking he could run one of the Disney+ shows. 

That's a good shout regarding him doing a Disney+ show. He'd have been a good fit for wandavision in many ways. Or maybe even moon knight in light of Watchmen.

He'd be best used with his own "piece" of the MCU. Maybe something mutant-related as i think he does well with "changed society" scenarios. It would be very lazy if he did a show covering the 5 years that were lost!

Definitely more interested in the idea of him doing marvel tv vs my complete aversion to him touching films

58 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Not to get too off topic, but like what? 

Without going into spoilers, there is that one episode in S3 that is batshit off the wall strange, and I thought it toed the line between genius and nonsense, and hard to say whether it was too much of a tonal shift from everything else. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'll just add that after Lost ended I felt the same way you did. I just liked The Leftovers that much. Then Watchmen. But Lost was pretty good early on, in my opinion they never really recovered from the writers' strike and there was just no way they were every gonna answer all the mysteries they built up satisfactory. That final season really blew though. 

I think Lost works much better when you can sit down and watch all 120 episodes in a single run. Virtually every single question is answered, almost every mystery is solved (apart from a couple of minor blind alleys) and it's much more cohesive as a show, plus the bad runs they had in Season 2 and 3 can be powered through because they're not that long. The Season 6 flash-sideways red herring remains the show's most egregious mistake, but it can be also be mostly ignored on rewatches (there's even a fan edit of Season 6 online that completely removes it).

Lindelof was also very much a showrunner on Lost. Carlton Cuse was there to basically provide a bit more experience and support, and to be a steady hand on the tiller after Lindelof's breakdown mid-Season 1 and to support the writing, but after Abrams left (effectively just four episodes into Season 1) Lindelof was the guy in charge.

I enjoyed The Leftovers and need to finish it (I only have four episodes left), but it is a show that veers from sublime brilliance to self-parodying pretension rather unevenly (sometimes in the same scene). It is good but I think a tad overrated, and leans very heavily on the amazing cast and the superb direction to paper over some of Lindelof's writing weaknesses. I haven't watched Watchmen yet.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Lindelof was also very much a showrunner on Lost.

Just to be clear, I know this. I just agree that most of Lost was good. It's also worth noting I think they were the first showrunners to go "hey, can we set an end date so we're not spinning wheels so much" sometime during season three. 

Watchmen was great for the first 6 episodes and then gets very stupid very quickly, in ways that are very, very Lindelofian. It is worth it for the first 6 eps - especially 6 - but holy crap, did he not stick anything close to a landing. 

Lost answers things in really stupid ways. Watchmen followed suit pretty well. 

I really don't think I'd enjoy much of what he could do in Marvel, but maybe something with Dr. Strange or Shiang Chi, or a reboot of Daredevil. But mostly just...no.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 4:42 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Nerds are the fucking worst. That would absolutely piss me right off  

there are few times I love being british, but for our restrained dignity I am thankful.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:09 PM, Werthead said:

I think Lost works much better when you can sit down and watch all 120 episodes in a single run. Virtually every single question is answered, almost every mystery is solved (apart from a couple of minor blind alleys) and it's much more cohesive as a show, plus the bad runs they had in Season 2 and 3 can be powered through because they're not that long. The Season 6 flash-sideways red herring remains the show's most egregious mistake, but it can be also be mostly ignored on rewatches (there's even a fan edit of Season 6 online that completely removes it).

WTF............just WTF...........this is so beyond not true and most of the questions season 7 did answer were only answered while raising new questions. Like for example when is it ever explained what the smoke monster is? If you tell me they explain what the monster is in the episode Across the Sea, it's not true. He basically spends the entire episode dancing around the question, never giving you an answer.

I sort of view David Lindelof as I do, Steven Moffat. They're both great at writing individual episodes and even two parters, but when they're given complete creative control over a story, they just come out really confusing.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

WTF............just WTF...........this is so beyond not true and most of the questions season 7 did answer were only answered while raising new questions. Like for example when is it ever explained what the smoke monster is? If you tell me they explain what the monster is in the episode Across the Sea, it's not true. He basically spends the entire episode dancing around the question, never giving you an answer.

Lost ended after six seasons. It did not have a seventh season.

The smoke monster is a security system for the Island - as we were outright told in Season 1 - and one of the embodiments of the Island's energy which can be used for both good and evil. When the Man in Black is placed in the heart of the Island, he becomes a conduit for the system and corrupts it ("Mother" also appears to have been able to use the power of the smoke monster, but she only used it for defence), and uses it to carry out his own agenda within certain limitations (i.e. being trapped on the Island).

Archived