UK Politics: National shortage of incompetence pads

Which Tyler

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Moving everyone into a new parliament building permanently, fixing the old one and turning it into a museum/historical monument feels like it would be by far the most sensible way to go and will therefore never happen.

Boris is always keen on his grand projects (Boris Island, the Scotland-Ireland bridge) so this almost seems like the sort of thing he might suggest, although Boris giving his backing for that sort of project seems a guarantee it will never actually happen.

It does seem a sensible idea to have a building that's actually fit for purpose, although I'm having flashbacks to the building of the new Scottish Parliament which it's fair to say did not go entirely smoothly.

It seems odd to me that, considering all the condemnation of the easing of the lockdown and how it would kill more people, no one is criticising the demonstrations about what is going on in a different country. 

12 minutes ago, Hereward said:

It seems odd to me that, considering all the condemnation of the easing of the lockdown and how it would kill more people, no one is criticising the demonstrations about what is going on in a different country. 

Well at least a lot of them have managed to wear masks. That’s something 

41 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I am a bit concerned about seeing a spike from these gatherings in a week or two. But perhaps they felt expressing their outrage over unaccountable police brutality and murder is more important than haircuts and restaurant dining.

It doesn't help to have the cops confiscating masks, attacking medic tents, kettling protesters into enclosed spaces, and in at least one case literally spitting on people who are handcuffed in front of them.

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It doesn't help to have the cops confiscating masks, attacking medic tents, kettling protesters into enclosed spaces, and in at least one case literally spitting on people who are handcuffed in front of them.

In the uk? You got a link? 

56 minutes ago, Hereward said:

White supremacy and unchecked police violence systemically directed at non-white bodies is more dangerous to the communities than covid-19. Even the medical professionals say that.

In the meantime, the Protesters wear masks, while white supremacists refuse and attack even white people for wearing masks, so there it is.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

In the uk? You got a link? 

No, but I thought Hereward was referring to the US demonstrations. I'm sure UK cops are less psychotic in their responses than US cops have been.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

No, but I thought Hereward was referring to the US demonstrations. I'm sure UK cops are less psychotic in their responses than US cops have been.

Thank fuck. You had me really worried there. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Thank fuck. You had me really worried there. 

I do appreciate your willingness to criticize US policing. It's nice to have a rational, experienced police perspective even if from a different country. So many cops and their allies here act like precious fucking snowflakes when you ask whether it's necessary to throw flashbangs into medic tents.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

It does seem risky at this time. I think in theory it might be possible to demonstrate while maintaining some social distancing, at least for smaller protests) but by their nature protests tend to be unpredictable so I am worried about the safety of the protestors.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

There are demonstrations in the UK, although the main reporting I’ve seen on it is government statements saying you shouldn’t go to them because of lockdown. The general sentiment on my Facebook is that it’s giving Boris a scapegoat for the second peak, he can blame the demonstrators instead of his own policies.

Saw one woman on the news saying how she’s willing to take the risk of catching the virus because it’s worth it to protest.. she’s kind of missing the point that she’s not someone who is vulnerable so it’s not her who should be worried.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I do appreciate your willingness to criticize US policing. It's nice to have a rational, experienced police perspective even if from a different country. So many cops and their allies here act like precious fucking snowflakes when you ask whether it's necessary to throw flashbangs into medic tents.

Tbf police all around the world are thanking fuck for the police in the US. Most of the world are thinking right now 'maybe our police arent that bad'. 

3 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

there’s such a tiny fraction of the population involved that you’d never get a spike from this kind of thing.

That isn't necessarily how it seems to work though. Spikes in Germany recently have not been an overall big rise in spreading in the population as lockdown eases, but single incidents at one restauarant or one church infecting hundreds of people.

Hopefully being outdoors minimises the potential of that at the protests but the counter to that is Germany has good track-and-trace and England the UK obviously does not even if it was feasible at a protest.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Apologies, no I was referring to the demonstrations against the US police in the Uk.

11 hours ago, Hereward said:

In Australia I think they’re justified. We’ve had 4x as many indigenous deaths in custody since the Royal Commission into it (most of whom’s recommendations were ignored) than we’ve had coronavirus deaths, and community transmitted cases are down to about 1 per day in most states. So the risk seems low, and without protests nothing happens. 

In the UK it seems more bonkers. 

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tbf police all around the world are thanking fuck for the police in the US. Most of the world are thinking right now 'maybe our police arent that bad'. 

Looking at the actions of NSW police after our protest yesterday, it looks like some of ours are thinking "I want to get in on some of that brutality action".

Herding a crowd into an enclosed space and then pepper spraying them to get them to "disperse" when they can't because you're blocking the exit. All because they were "lingering" at Central station which is also known as waiting for a train.

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ha. That’s funny, for me it confirms police all over the world its the same, when push comes to shove.

The way the police in the US has acted its the same as the police in my country, hmm i wonder why?. 

Archived