UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

I see boris is all for everyone going back to work so businesses which benefit from customers being in cities can thrive. The uncrowded tubes, trains and buses while everyone works from home who can, is probably doing a great deal of good. 

My wife works from home and can do her job in its entirety, but as soon as the govt say 'back to work' her boss will demand her pound of flesh. She will have to get 2 trains and 4 tubes a day and she takes a fucking packed lunch anyway. 

Keir Starmer needs a bolder vision - being the grownup in the room isn't enough

PMQs has fast become my highlight of the week - it is so entertaining to see Johnson flail about like a toddler in the face of Sir Keir Starmer's patient, calm and intelligent questions.  And then I remember which one is PM and I despair.

I don't really agree with this article.  I don't think Starmer needs to lay out any major policies yet.  Questioning the government, pointing out their fails, offering support on the good ideas - this is enough to show how competent he is.  He also has to sort the Labour Party out first.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I see boris is all for everyone going back to work so businesses which benefit from customers being in cities can thrive. The uncrowded tubes, trains and buses while everyone works from home who can, is probably doing a great deal of good. 

My wife works from home and can do her job in its entirety, but as soon as the govt say 'back to work' her boss will demand her pound of flesh. She will have to get 2 trains and 4 tubes a day and she takes a fucking packed lunch anyway. 

I think a lot of companies in the city are going to be pretty relaxed when it comes to getting their workers to come back in. That mostly applies to office workers. My own company isn’t asking anyone to come back this year. This has exposed how working from home is completely possible for a lot of workers.

Of course it’s those who don’t get to work from home who are the ones who get screwed. 

There are a ton of businesses in the city that rely on that lunch trade though and I anticipate most won’t survive this, even with people going back. Business rates are so high and profits margins so tiny so it was barely worth existing in the first place for many.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Not politics, but I do wonder what could have possessed Jonny Depp to sue the Sun for libel.  Even if he wins, it seems a classic case where the Claimant gets awarded £1.

I suspect it's more about his reputation than the money.

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Not politics, but I do wonder what could have possessed Jonny Depp to sue the Sun for libel.  Even if he wins, it seems a classic case where the Claimant gets awarded £1.

Being labelled a wife beater is a pretty serious accusation, especially if he was actually the victim

But from what I’ve read neither party look like angels, in fact they look like terrible people 

6 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I suspect it's more about his reputation than the money.

Especially in libel cases, you very rarely get vindicated.   There will always be lots of people who will believe the allegations.  What you get (if you win) are damages.  Even if Depp wins, he's hugely magnified the number of people who have heard of the allegations against him, while also demonstrating that he's not a very pleasant person.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Being labelled a wife beater is a pretty serious accusation, especially if he was actually the victim

But from what I’ve read neither party look like angels, in fact they look like terrible people 

For sure, it looks like six of one, and half a dozen of the other.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Especially in libel cases, you very rarely get vindicated.   There will always be lots of people who will believe the allegations.  What you get (if you win) are damages.  Even if Depp wins, he's hugely magnified the number of people who have heard of the allegations against him, while also demonstrating that he's not a very pleasant person.

It’s probably more so Hollywood can keep hiring him; ie saying ‘well, he was exonerated’.

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It’s probably more so Hollywood can keep hiring him; ie saying ‘well, he was exonerated’.

That's sort of what I meant - his Hollywood reputation, particularly post-MeToo.

Pretty grim affair all round, really.  He must think he's going to get something from it as all sorts of things are going to be made public and reported on.

Just now, Derfel Cadarn said:

It's really quite telling, in relation to the original question of why Depp is suing, that he's spent most of his testimony treating the situation as if Heard were on trial.

Let me put it carefully: this is exactly the sort of behaviour one would expect of a person who really had been abusing their partner. Attempting to use a public trial (in which, remember, Heard is not the defendant) to punish them.

But it isn't really a topic for this thread. Perhaps better to start another.

More on topic, the ambassador to the EU has said we're pulling out of the EU COVID-19 vaccine scheme because if we were in it, we wouldn't have a say on key issues. So we left it, meaning we don't have a say on anything at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53361906

A global pandemic is really ideally met with international co-operation, not an insistence of the virtues of being a solo act. This government has not and never will be able to acknowledge that, though, because it would destroy their raison d'etre.

44 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Well the initial allegations were that Amber Heard was this innocent victim from the vile wife  beating Depp. That would prevent Depp ever working again and ruin his life. 

The truth looks closer that they were both in a mutually abusive relationship and that she was just if not more violent than him.

But either way, nobody comes out looking good

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Well, as of Monday, I guess the virus is officially gone from England - hurrah.

The last businesses* get to re-open, including close contact professions - and no need for any pesky PPE that actually makes a difference - a visor is all that's required if you merely spend a couple of hours working around someone's head.

My wife and I do close to the same thing (I'm a chiropractor, she's a massage and sports therapist) - I have to wear mask, apron and gloves, and am advised to wear goggles/visor - I spend 15-20 minutes with a patient. She has to wear a visor, and can spend 90 minutes with a patient. I have to screen mine for covid symptoms and risk factors, she's advised to take their temperature.

The government officially says that a mask is useless if you're already wearing a visor - the science disagrees - strongly.

* I think that's true isnt it? I may easily have missed something.

Incorrect. Gyms and most of the leisure sector still closed til the 25th

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Incorrect. Gyms and most of the leisure sector still closed til the 25th

Thank you - I had a feeling I was missing something obvious - you guys get a date, just in 2 weeks, not 2 days

Big spike in Herefordshire - 73 workers on a farm; all 200-odd workers now quarantined on site - mostly local furloughed workers.
I'd seen 56 positives there when I looked at the figures - and assumed someone had made a data input error, but no: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53381802

The return of 'good British common sense' as UK govt policy.

In Scotland, face coverings in shops were made mandatory this week and Twitter is alive with reports of busy supermarkets with 100% compliance.

Meanwhile in England, Gove believes that people will wear masks without government guidance telling them to do so, because it's 'good manners'.

About half of people I saw on my supermarket run were displaying 'good manners' and 'common sense'. This week? Everyone.

It's almost as if government guidance has an effect.

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

In Scotland, face coverings in shops were made mandatory this week and Twitter is alive with reports of busy supermarkets with 100% compliance.

Meanwhile in England, Gove believes that people will wear masks without government guidance telling them to do so, because it's 'good manners'.

About half of people I saw on my supermarket run were displaying 'good manners' and 'common sense'. This week? Everyone.

Yeah.... No one at my local supermarkets are wearing mask. Like literally didn't see a single mask on my trip yesterday. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Yeah I’ve seen maybe only two or three people without masks in my local supermarket this weekend.

Archived