Gaston de Foix

Star Wars: The Saga Continues

I just recently started Clone Wars for the first time. I’m about finished with S2. I’m a bit on the fence whether or not I’ll watch Rebels or not. Even just finishing Clone Wars feels like a massive undertaking since it’s so many episodes, but I’m starting to get pretty into it. 

I’ve heard Rebels is aimed at kids a bit more, which would also kind of put me off. I’m mostly interested in all the different Jedi from the prequels that we didn’t learn much about in the movies. They’ve been my favorite part of Clone Wars so far. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I just recently started Clone Wars for the first time. I’m about finished with S2. I’m a bit on the fence whether or not I’ll watch Rebels or not. Even just finishing Clone Wars feels like a massive undertaking since it’s so many episodes, but I’m starting to get pretty into it. 

I’ve heard Rebels is aimed at kids a bit more, which would also kind of put me off. I’m mostly interested in all the different Jedi from the prequels that we didn’t learn much about in the movies. They’ve been my favorite part of Clone Wars so far. 

Rebels may start a little YA in tone, but there are some great scenes for kids and grown ups alike as it progresses.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You should at least watch some of rebels. The stuff with Vader is really good. The show is more consistent than Clone Wars, which has some episodes you could skip and lose nothing. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, Nictarion said:

Rebels feels like it's aimed at a younger audience than The Clone Wars for mayyyybe the first episode, maybe the first two. Then they say sod it and just go back to business as normal. It also gets way darker than The Clone Wars at times (TCW can't go "full dark" because it's saving that up for RotS).

I think Rebels is a stronger, and certainly much more consistent and coherent show than The Clone Wars, and The Clone Wars is pretty good when it's on form.

Maybe I’ll do Rebels when I’m done with Clone Wars then. I’m still undecided whether or not I’m going to pay for Disney Plus though when my free year through Verizon is up. I was originally thinking about just doing it for a month so I could watch the new season of The Mandalorian.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Maybe I’ll do Rebels when I’m done with Clone Wars then.

Do it.

Soldiering through The Clone Wars' seasons can feel like a campaign. But an affinity for the characters builds quickly and by the end of season 7 you'll be able to list off a platoon of them. Since it dovetails into The Revenge of the Sith the end is bittersweet but its still a worthy journey to get there.

And when you finish The Clone Wars consider this. The best dozen or so episodes of The Clone Wars are easily matched by the best dozen episodes of Rebels.

Another reason to watch Rebels after The Clone Wars is you get to follow the best character arc of any Star Wars figure in any media. You may not be up to that part of TCW where this character (re)appears but you'll need to also watch Rebels to see the arcs progression and conclusion. You won't be disappointed.

15 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

THIS IS THE FUCKING WAY!!! That looked amazing.

Edited by Corvinus85

Looks great. It is funny how Star Wars stories seem to take place in either primitive/medieval type hamlets or megalopolis. Love all the Rogue One / Mando scruffiness but Cloud City and the water world in Attack of the Clones seem like outliers in terms of clean, maintained spaces.

4 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Not giving the sequel trilogy to Filoni/Favreau is the greatest mistake Disney has ever made.

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Not giving the sequel trilogy to Filoni/Favreau is the greatest mistake Disney has ever made.

Eh. There are awesome bits in Mandalorian, but a lot of the show (along with Rebels and Clone Wars) is entirely forgettable, and the dialog is really, really, REALLY stupid at times. 

23 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

Eh. There are awesome bits in Mandalorian, but a lot of the show (along with Rebels and Clone Wars) is entirely forgettable, and the dialog is really, really, REALLY stupid at times. 

BUT... there is continuity that makes sense.

If you had just said "Star Wars _______________ is entirely forgettable, and the dialogue is really, really, REALLY stupid at times" and asked me to fill in the blank... TCW/Rebels/Mandalorian would not have been my first choice to put in there.  I might go with sequels first then prequels before I got to the Filoni stuff. 

I found about 80% of TCW to be entirely forgettable. Rebels is more like 70%. 

And there is some continuity that makes sense, and a lot that is entirely batshit fucked. Sorry, why did the Mandalorians go from having a planet to always keeping their masks on and saying 'this is the way' and all of that bullshit? Why did their culture get turned into a cheap CRPG simulator?And we're just going to handwave a tracker that lets you track any creature in the universe perfectly and be okay with that? Or Jawas deciding that the most valuable thing in the universe is...some egg?

I like the show and it's fun, but again - it's not great, it certainly isn't up there with TLJ in my mind, and most of it is very forgettable. 

39 minutes ago, Kalibear said:

I found about 80% of TCW to be entirely forgettable. Rebels is more like 70%. 

And there is some continuity that makes sense, and a lot that is entirely batshit fucked. Sorry, why did the Mandalorians go from having a planet to always keeping their masks on and saying 'this is the way' and all of that bullshit? Why did their culture get turned into a cheap CRPG simulator?And we're just going to handwave a tracker that lets you track any creature in the universe perfectly and be okay with that? Or Jawas deciding that the most valuable thing in the universe is...some egg?

I like the show and it's fun, but again - it's not great, it certainly isn't up there with TLJ in my mind, and most of it is very forgettable. 

Similar questions can be asked and similar arguments made about the sequel trilogy. But again, TCW, Rebels, and The Mandalorian have a stronger sense of continuity. 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Similar questions can be asked and similar arguments made about the sequel trilogy. But again, TCW, Rebels, and The Mandalorian have a stronger sense of continuity. 

I...guess? I would not say it's a particular strength of those shows. Especially when so many eps are basically non-continunous filler that could fit in at basically any time you want.

So what's the continuity reason for Mando not immediately bringing baby yoda to Luke?  Everyone in the galaxy knows what Luke is.  Even the absolutely terrible dogshit "backstory" to the sequels Disney made through the Aftermath shit acknowledges that.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So what's the continuity reason for Mando not immediately bringing baby yoda to Luke?  Everyone in the galaxy knows what Luke is.  Even the absolutely terrible dogshit "backstory" to the sequels Disney made through the Aftermath shit acknowledges that.

Part of what I enjoyed about the first season of Mandalorian was how well they balanced the need to tell its own story with tying into existing lore. My other half watched it with no background at all, and it never feels like you’re watching half a show with bits missing.

It really doesn’t feel right for Mando to be talking about Luke all the time and looking for him specifically. I’m not sure of the timeline but when did Luke set up his Jedi school? Mandalorian isn’t too far past RotJ, it’s possible he’s decided to keep a low profile for a while in case there’s some more Sith lurking about. Season 1 certainly implied that the pretty well travelled Mando hadn’t heard of this mysterious band of enemy sorcerers. In fact, maybe there’s a kind of PR battle that needs to be won first, if despite the emperors death, the narrative that Jedi are the bad guys is still prevalent. Immediately declaring that you’re training a new squad might not be a good look.

I randomly watched the Robot Chicken sketch yesterday with the Imperial officer being told they’ve won; “what do you mean they’ve won? They just blew up the Death Star again, they already did it once?” “Yea, but this time they killed the Emperor as well. They had to do both”. I’d be quite interested in seeing this period, did the Empire elect a new leader? Was that whole process still in place? 

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So what's the continuity reason for Mando not immediately bringing baby yoda to Luke?  Everyone in the galaxy knows what Luke is.

Do they? It's probably pretty well known that the Rebels blew up a couple of Death Stars, and the Emperor was on the second one at the time, but are the names of the specific people involved that widely known? There's not much evidence of a galactic news service in the films.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I randomly watched the Robot Chicken sketch yesterday with the Imperial officer being told they’ve won; “what do you mean they’ve won? They just blew up the Death Star again, they already did it once?” “Yea, but this time they killed the Emperor as well. They had to do both”. I’d be quite interested in seeing this period, did the Empire elect a new leader? Was that whole process still in place? 

Books and video games answer some of these questions, if you have the time and money. For example, the new Squadrons game that comes next month will have its single-player story after the Battle of Endor.