Watch, Watched, Watching: Strange Times

Ramsay B.

I see Scorsese’s After Hours is on HBO MAX. I know what I’m watching tonight. Haven’t seen it  in probably well over a decade, but I remember really liking it a lot. Great dark comedy. I always thought it was one of his more underrated movies, along with King of Comedy and Bringing Out the Dead.

2 hours ago, john said:

I saw Midsommar last night. Basically it’s not as good as Hereditary and the mysterious pagan bits are a bit of a rip off of Wicker Man, one of my favourite films. Does some things very well however.

It's a complete rip off of Wicker Man, but I don't love the film as much as yourself and others. That said, I think Midsommar gets better with a second or third viewing. There's just so much to process with it.

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm watching John from Cincinnati for the first time since it's original run and I like it even more. 

Terribly underrated show. It's kinda incomprehensible at first but still great. After watching it a few times and reading some of the things Milch and others have said about it I mostly get what he was going for. 

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Terribly underrated show. It's kinda incomprehensible at first but still great. After watching it a few times and reading some of the things Milch and others have said about it I mostly get what he was going for. 

I loved the entire surf Jesus thing from the start. It was the right kind of weird for me.

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Julia Stiles 

Who went on to protagonist in Sky TV's Riviera. 

....The first series of Riviera was released on 15 June 2017 on Sky Box Sets and NOW TV,[4] and was Sky’s most successful original series ...

I finally watched Minority Report. It was a fun little action movie. I had no idea Max Von Sydow was even in it, so that was a pleasant surprise. It also had a fairly predictable ending but no biggie.

Showtime was playing a bunch of A24 films over the weekend so I caught Waves. It kinda reminded me of The Place Beyond the Pines. It follows a certain character up until a certain event, then switches POV’s and shows the aftermath basically. It was a little clichéd at times but definitely worth a watch. Great acting all around.

@Tywin et al. You suck. Kung Fu Hustle is a truly great film!

55 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Place Beyond the Pines

I really wanted this film to be great. There's so much to love about it. And the acting was excellent. But spoilers:

Spoiler

Act 1 was fucking awesome, but the film just drifts after that,, and while the story is still good, the execution for whatever reason could have been better. It's by no means a bad film, everyone should give it a chance, but for me, they shouldn't have killed off that hunk who couldn't play defense in Remember the Titans so quickly.

55 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

You suck. Kung Fu Hustle is a truly great film!

And Eli Manning is a Hall of Fame QB.......

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a complete rip off of Wicker Man, but I don't love the film as much as yourself and others. That said, I think Midsommar gets better with a second or third viewing. There's just so much to process with it.

I found Midsommar to be boring as fuck.  The opening scene was pretty great but holy shit it was awful after that.  It tried to substitute great cinematography and pretty scenery for any semblance of an intriguing story.  

Loved Hereditary, though.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't seen it, but does Bean make it? 

Bean never makes it.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

I found Midsommar to be boring as fuck.  The opening scene was pretty great but holy shit it was awful after that.  It tried to substitute great cinematography and pretty scenery for any semblance of an intriguing story.  

Loved Hereditary, though.  

Hereditary was really good, just one thing at the end didn't work for me, but quality horror films feel rare these days, and it was awesome.

I felt the same way about Midsommar on the first viewing. It really is better if you give it another chance. Personally I think it's less boring and more scattered, but that doesn't mean it's bad. And yes it is a masterclass in cinematography. 

Bean never makes it.  :lol:

Once in a great while he does. That's why it's like betting on Hawaii football because you're chasing too hard.

I’ve always heard Equilibrium was good. Will watch it one of these days.

The third act of The Place Beyond the Pines was my biggest gripe. I just didn’t really care for it, and it dragged on. Overall I liked it, but was kinda disappointed also. 

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

Had never seen Grosse Point Blank, Doubt, or Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and caught all of these.  The former I thought was really solid and aged well.  Didn't think much of the other two even with the typically strong performances by Streep, PSH, etc...

Grosse Point Blank is another one of those films I'm always happy to rewatch.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't seen it, but does Bean make it? 

I suppose technically this is a spoiler...

Spoiler

I think it might be the film in which he gets killed off quickest. I'm not sure he even makes it 20 minutes into the film.

9 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve always heard Equilibrium was good. Will watch it one of these days.

It's not exactly going to win any awards for the writing but I did enjoy it.

It bums me out to see people hate Midsommar. I absolutely adore it. Even saw it a second time in theaters (I never do that) when the director’s cut came out. And no it’s not just because of Florence Pugh. :P

Most year’s it probably would have been my favorite of the year, but 2019 was just crazy good for movies. Best since 2007, imo. 

7 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It bums me out to see people hate Midsommar. I absolutely adore it. Even saw it a second time in theaters (I never do that) when the director’s cut came out. And no it’s not just because of Florence Pugh. :P

Most year’s it probably would have been my favorite of the year, but 2019 was just crazy good for movies. Best since 2007, imo. 

Look, these are strange times. We all need reasons to be positive, or at least to feel normal.

But do not ever lie to anyone like that again. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Look, these are strange times. We all need reasons to be positive, or at least to feel normal.

But do not ever lie to anyone like that again. 

It’s really not. She was great in Midsommar, but I like Hereditary even more. One of my all time favorite horror movies, never mind “recent.” Loved the ending and all. 

I said it when someone brought up Us, but between Ari Aster, Robert Eggers, and Jordan Peel, it’s an exciting time for horror movies right now. I’d also add Mike Flanagan. 

Archived