US Politics: A Midnight Express for Claudia Conway

Tywin Manderly

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

John's pay for the sex up front, not always for themselves but typically. How does this situation meet the normal definition? 

Because oftentimes the third party is paid.  In fact, I expect that's how we know about it in the first place.  Anyway, this isn't something we should be expounding upon.

57 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Funny, my entire life I have been told by Americans that America's greatness and strength lie in the fact that it's the melting pot, where people come from all over the world, shed the past and become Americans.

It's not the 90s anymore. The melting pot metaphor is recognized as the ethnocentric BS that it is.

2 minutes ago, ants said:

All the best people....

That isn't "bringing back" anything by the way.  While many if not most women obviously voted for who their husband wanted them to for a very long time, that's never been a law anywhere in the US.

7 minutes ago, ants said:

All the best people.....

Yeah, this is a thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/us/evangelicals-trump-christianity.html

“I do not love Trump. I think Trump is good for America as a country. I think Trump is going to restore our freedoms, where we spent eight years, if not more, with our freedoms slowly being taken away under the guise of giving freedoms to all,” she said. “Caucasian-Americans are becoming a minority. Rapidly.”

She explained what she meant. “If you are a hard-working Caucasian-American, your rights are being limited because you are seen as against all the races or against women,” she said. “Or there are people who think that because we have conservative values and we value the family and I value submitting to my husband, I must be against women’s rights.”

Her voice grew strong. “I would say it takes a stronger woman to submit to a man than to want to rule over him. And I would argue that point to the death,” she said.

The idea that marriage is a partnership completely escapes them. It's all dominance or submission, black or white.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/09/politics/equal-rights-amendment-justice-department-dismiss-lawsuit/index.html

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Because oftentimes the third party is paid.  In fact, I expect that's how we know about it in the first place.  Anyway, this isn't something we should be expounding upon.

Two things, I appreciate that you support Ty in his attempts to replace Donnie's Fake News whining in politics, with the way more entertaining Fuck News. I'll just chime in to show my support with second:

Reminds me a bit of Stormy Daniels on Bill Maher, as she insited, she does not get paid to have sex. She is paid for being filmed while having sex. No deeper meaning, I just found it amusing, and you only get to include that reference so often.

On a more general note. Melania signed up for this shit, when she married that swamp thing from Queens. She thought she merely sold her body, but she lost her soul. The kind of epic Greek tragedy, you expect to see on the Jerry Springer Show, and not in a politics thread. These it's not just the convention, that are unconventional. It is, what it is. :dunno:

51 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Yeah, this is a thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/us/evangelicals-trump-christianity.html

The idea that marriage is a partnership completely escapes them. It's all dominance or submission, black or white.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/09/politics/equal-rights-amendment-justice-department-dismiss-lawsuit/index.html

As a heathen Aussie (and feminist), I feel like I live on another planet from the white evangelicals interviewed. I especially loved the bit about Obama trying to take away their high powered weapons.  I'm trying to imagine Jesus wielding an assault rifle - I guess he could have blown away Pontius Pilate and those pharisees no worries.

51 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

As a heathen Aussie (and feminist), I feel like I live on another planet from the white evangelicals interviewed. I especially loved the bit about Obama trying to take away their high powered weapons.  I'm trying to imagine Jesus wielding an assault rifle - I guess he could have blown away Pontius Pilate and those pharisees no worries.

I imagine. Even the city a just a few hours away is another planet.

On guns, yeah, it's morphed into something really weird sometimes but it didn't come from nowhere. It's another good example of Democrats just saying things that make no sense to them. I grew up in a similar place and if I wanted a gun, it was right there in my parents' closet. They're everywhere. No one locks them up. A teacher brought one to school one time to show around. No big deal. But there's no crime. Like the article says, never lock the door and always keep the keys in the car and nothing ever happens. When Dems say gun availability results in violence, it smacks in the face of our entire life experience, our history and sounds just batshit insane.

I moved to the city only a few hours for college and that's very different. It's a lot more stressful. Everyone is packed in, so many lines, always in the way jockeying for space, territory. Competing. Always trying to keep up with so much stuff. So much stimulus. Add personal stress to that with a gun around though...That's what rural people don't get. How living in the city makes you different.

I don't know what the solution is, but Dems won't convince the rural population of anything so long as they make nonsense claims like guns result in violence and crime in area where there's never any violence or crime. The more Dems push that narrative, the more they dig in, the more Dems push...it's a self-feeding cycle at this point that's gotten to the absurd point it's now God, guns & country when guns used to be just about hunting, wild animal protection, shooting groundhogs tearing up your crop, whatnot.

Kanye's an idiot and I'm not ever overlooking the b.s. he"s pulling, his team just missed the filing deadline, to get on the Wisconsin ballot, by minutes.

We all know how close these swing states were in 2016, his actions can be viewed no other way than as trying to throw the election to Trump. 

So as for "Rockn with him"? Ugh thanks but no thanks, he's dead to me. I ain't ever forgiving that behavior.

On a different note, Squaw Valley has announced they are dropping their offensive name. 

Squaw Valley Ski Resort near Lake Tahoe to change name from the 'racist and sexist slur'

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/squaw-valley-ski-resort-changes-name-trnd/index.html

Should be fairly easy to just go by "Tahoe Valley" or something similar.

As a lifelong skier I'm pleased they have taken this step.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Reminds me a bit of Stormy Daniels on Bill Maher, as she insited, she does not get paid to have sex. She is paid for being filmed while having sex. No deeper meaning, I just found it amusing, and you only get to include that reference so often.

She probably says that for legal reasons since getting paid to have sex is a crime in a but one U.S. State while getting paid for being filmed while having sex is just a legal way to pay the bills.

3 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

She probably says that for legal reasons since getting paid to have sex is a crime in a but one U.S. State while getting paid for being filmed while having sex is just a legal way to pay the bills.

Fun fact:  the statute of limitations for prostitution is usually around one year in most states.  Daniels doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

One of the greatest football players ever said he gets paid to train Monday through Saturday, the Sunday game was for free.

7 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's not the 90s anymore. The melting pot metaphor is recognized as the ethnocentric BS that it is.

That’s really funny, and so delusional!

One last word about what Melania wore for her speech. I said she looked like a British Colonial again, dressed in her designer khakis. Facepalm time! She’s dressed for war, of course! All tricked up like a general! Going to war for Donald!

Not sure where to put this, but my brother told me about it yesterday:

The cast of television’s award-winning political drama “The West Wing” are getting back together for a special to promote voting in November’s U.S. elections.

Martin Sheen - a political activist in real life who played the liberal-leaning U.S. President Jed Bartlet on the NBC show - will reunite with his fictional White House staffers, portrayed by Bradley Whitford, Allison Janney, Rob Lowe, Dule Hill, Janel Maloney and Richard Schiff, HBO Max said on Tuesday.

Apparently, if you scroll down, they're gonna re-perform "Hartsfield Landing."  I don't see how you do that without Leo/John Spencer, but we'll see.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Apparently, if you scroll down, they're gonna re-perform "Hartsfield Landing."  I don't see how you do that without Leo/John Spencer, but we'll see.

It'll be interesting to see who they get to do his part. When Community did their read of a past episode and Walter Goggins wasn't available for his guest role, Pedro Pascal filled in.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

It'll be interesting to see who they get to do his part.

If we're throwing out names, first one that comes to mind is Jonathan Banks.  The Community thing is pretty funny, almost wanna watch it just to see Pascal imitate Goggins.

Archived