NFL 2020: Beckham and The Brownies

l2 0 5 5

My point is still valid. You can't blame all of Dallas' sucking on McCarthy. The defense was mid level at best last year and they let their best player leave to FA without any semblance of a replacement. Then they took a def that was built on pursuit and rotating in and out and changed their style of play and now they are constantly out of position. 

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Young was blocked by the Dallas dynasty and then the ascending Bret Favre Packers. McCarthy was blocked by... the Eli Manning Giants.

Ehh..  When was the last time Green Bay selected a WR in first round? Could you imagine how much better they would have been if Rodgers had true #1 and #2 receivers to throw to. He made the mediocre receivers look great. That's front office, not coaching.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Ehh..  When was the last time Green Bay selected a WR in first round? Could you imagine how much better they would have been if Rodgers had true #1 and #2 receivers to throw to. He made the mediocre receivers look great. That's front office, not coaching.

When was the last time a team built on premium WRs won? KC sorta, but they're more about Mahomes and overall speed than about having top receivers.

If the front office wasn't getting the most talented receivers, why did McCarthy keep running out offenses where the receivers had to win individual battles? McCarthy absolutely fucked away sure playofff wins with shitty coaching decisions. The NFC Championship against Seattle comes to mind.

Of course it's not entirely McCarthy's fault, because it's almost never just one person's fault in football, but he was a big problem.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

When was the last time a team built on premium WRs won? KC sorta, but they're more about Mahomes and overall speed than about having top receivers.

I can only think of a few teams that have ever been built on premium WRs, so that seems like a non-argument.  If the question is "what teams with a clearly top 5 group of WRs in the league has won a championship", then I would name KC and Denver this decade, and several teams in the late 00s (NO, IND, PIT).  It's not essential, obviously, but neither is any other position group.  The only exception would be D line, since I can't come up with a single SB winner that wasn't at least above average at that spot. 

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I can only think of a few teams that have ever been built on premium WRs, so that seems like a non-argument.  If the question is "what teams with a clearly top 5 group of WRs in the league has won a championship", then I would name KC and Denver this decade, and several teams in the late 00s (NO, IND, PIT).  It's not essential, obviously, but neither is any other position group.  The only exception would be D line, since I can't come up with a single SB winner that wasn't at least above average at that spot. 

I believe you can also say that about the O-line. I’m going off of memory, but IIRC, over the last handful of seasons the top teams at the end of the year have also had the top offensive lines.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I believe you can also say that about the O-line. I’m going off of memory, but IIRC, over the last handful of seasons the top teams at the end of the year have also had the top offensive lines.

FO had KC's O line as 28th in the country in both run and pass blocking last year.  And the 2017 Eagles were nothing special on O line (22nd run block, 12th pass block).  Football outsiders isn't perfect, because it's a regular season stat, and thus teams that surge in the playoffs like the 2011 Giants and the 2012 Ravens look terrible.  But still, KC's O line wasn't great - Mahomes was getting beat up quite a bit vs the Niners. 

39 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

FO had KC's O line as 28th in the country in both run and pass blocking last year.  And the 2017 Eagles were nothing special on O line (22nd run block, 12th pass block).  Football outsiders isn't perfect, because it's a regular season stat, and thus teams that surge in the playoffs like the 2011 Giants and the 2012 Ravens look terrible.  But still, KC's O line wasn't great - Mahomes was getting beat up quite a bit vs the Niners. 

Yeah I recall KC being a huge exception last year, but I thought they ranked pretty high the year before. The larger point I was making is that if you look at top 5 or 10 in DOVA for offensive line play you’ll see a lot of playoff teams. A good offensive line typically seems to translate into overall team success.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I recall KC being a huge exception last year, but I thought they ranked pretty high the year before. The larger point I was making is that if you look at top 5 or 10 in DOVA for offensive line play you’ll see a lot of playoff teams. A good offensive line typically seems to translate into overall team success.

So you are saying good line play can be a large factor in overall team success? So if a team lost all of their starters and several back ups then chances are the team is not going to perform? So then you fire the head coach of course because that's his fault? 

Your mantra is fire McCarthy and your statement above doesn't support it. Which has been my point. It's not fair to judge him in Dallas based on what he is dealing with on that line.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

So you are saying good line play can be a large factor in overall team success? So if a team lost all of their starters and several back ups then chances are the team is not going to perform? So then you fire the head coach of course because that's his fault? 

Your mantra is fire McCarthy and your statement above doesn't support it. Which has been my point. It's not fair to judge him in Dallas based on what he is dealing with on that line.

My mantra was from the jump that nobody should hire him. He's a bad coach who got blessed with one of the best QB situations ever. And he was a hinderance to both of them. He makes terrible decisions. He even admitted that he lied in the hiring process about his new found love of analytics, because he knew people wanted to hear that. McCarthy sucks! What have you seen that proves otherwise?

On 10/25/2020 at 7:34 PM, DMC said:

I'd be encouraged by the Niners demolishing of the Pats if more and more of their key performers didn't continue to get injured.

You're a niners fan?  Whatever else happens, I'm rooting for them to be the winningest team in Met Life Stadium this year.  (Apart from if it moves the Texans' first pick further back.)

On 10/27/2020 at 5:25 AM, dbunting said:

The offense was fine until the bubonic plague of injuries took hold. The defense however was shit from game one. The HC deserves his time, but only if he is willing to see issues and make adjustments. 

I'm sure with his deep focus on modern football analytics it will be fine.  IIRC the Jets were looking at him but got wowed by Gase.  Kind of a which testicle to you want to get eaten by a rabid wolverine choice.

Tua time.

4 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Whatever else happens, I'm rooting for them to be the winningest team in Met Life Stadium this year.

Well those were pyrrhic victories for the Niners but glad they could be of service.

17 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Can the Vikes see it out?

Neither defense made any impact in the first half, but the Vikes were able to control the Packers offense for most of the second half.

Sack fumble for the win!

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Bengals get their first win against a good team in two years. Feels good. Really loving the chemistry Burrow and Tee Higgins are developing. 

Also, Jessie Bates is an absolute stud. He’s playing as well as any safety in the league. 

Burrow is the real deal. Excited for the future.

Archived