US Politics - Poll Position

Relic

4 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I'd think it arguable that once those votes were in the POs possession, withholding [as seems to be the case, but not sure, more possibly delaying] would be election tampering, which is a *federal crime, no?

Board lawyers want to chime in here?

*if so, wait until Trump is out of office before charging so he can't pardon Dejoy

No lawyer, but I think the judge ordered him to sweep for all ballots and he hasn't complied so far.

Good point about waiting!

I'm also frustrated that in AZ it also isn't super clear how many votes are left.  They just dumped 79k votes, and before that it is somewhere between 420-460k votes left.  Someone on twitter (not sure how credible) said that they just saw an interview with the Arizona SoS on CNN and she said that there were still ~46k votes from Pima (which is Biden +20).  In Pima even the later ballots have been Biden favorable (like Biden +8).  But I don't know if that is credible, or if they are mistaken/talking out of their ass. 

Nate Cohn agrees with me:

Here we go:

DOJ: Armed federal officers can be sent to ballot-counting places (NYT).

The Justice Department told federal prosecutors in an email early on Wednesday that the law allowed them to send armed federal officers to ballot-counting locations around the country to investigate potential voter fraud, according to three people who described the message.

The email created the specter of the federal government intimidating local election officials or otherwise intervening in vote tallying amid calls by President Trump to end the tabulating in states where he was trailing in the presidential race, former officials said.

Three Reasons Biden Flipped the Midwest
Trump gave away his gains with key groups from four years ago and Biden reclaimed lost Democratic ground.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/04/three-reasons-biden-flipped-the-midwest-434114

The same reality was apparent in Michigan.

Livingston County, which contains the exurbs of Detroit and Ann Arbor, has long been the most reliable source of Republican votes in the state. Four years ago, Trump carried the ultra-conservative county by 30 points, and his team hoped to match that performance in 2020.

There was, however, reason to doubt this. Certain bedroom communities in Livingston County have grown more prosperous, attracting more advanced-degree households and high-income earners, over the past decade. Republicans wondered whether Trump’s struggles in more generic suburbs would carry over to deeply, fundamentally conservative suburbs like those in Livingston County.

Sure enough. Trump carried Livingston County by 22.5 points against Biden. It’s a healthy margin, no doubt, but it’s a dramatic falloff from his showing against Clinton four years ago.

Margins matter in tight races. The story of 2020, in the Midwest and elsewhere, was Biden whittling down the president’s margins in the conservative suburbs where Trump’s team thought he might be safe.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Indeed, being a Biden supporter and believing he is genuinely a better option than Trump is a long way from hard left, to the extent that hard left is almost over the horizon.

I think it may be a matter of perspective.

Hardly anyone thinks their views on politics are extreme compared to the norm.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How so? 

I'm tired, so I can pick this up tomorrow, but a few things come to mind right now: Dems used to actively push gun control, higher tax rates on the super rich, an actual single payer insurance program (this was in the 90s), and they used to actually argue against massive defense budgets that we see now. None of that is true anymore. In fact, they're so willing to move to the right, we often hear how Obama modeled ACA on Romney's approach to healthcare, and this seems to have moved us further away from single payer. Remember, ACA was modeled on a GOP proposal in the 90s. We'll see if Biden wins and actually puts through a public option. 

What about educational policy (Obama not only doubling down on standardized testing, but actually massively increasing it to the detriment of so many low-SES students, and students of color)? I hear all these arguments that dems are moving to the left because of Bernie or whatever, but there is no evidence of this. 

I also hear a lot about Biden having the most progressive platform ever or something. Which is nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think it may be a matter of perspective.

Hardly anyone thinks their views on politics are extreme compared to the norm.

I think it's not so much recognising your own views as extreme, but rather what the views of other people you regard as being extreme. If you think Joe Biden is extreme left or right, then that means you are extreme. If an entire party thinks sleepy Joe is extreme, then that entire party is extreme. Joe Biden is kinda vanilla neolib. Ultimately pretty harmful to the progressive cause, which means if a large proportion of the population think of him as basically Stalin without a moustache then this makes the procpect of achieving any gains in the progressive cause fade even further from view.

Progressive also should not look at the NPV win for Biden as too encouraging. He did, after all run against a borderline mentally unsound, and certainly incompetent president. Arguments about Covid effect notwithstanding, and seeing the House balance shift toward Republicans, the real progressive left should remain concerned that anything meaningful for them will happen any time soon. Including making big gains in climate change. As bad as it may sound, the world may need to rely on the free market to make any changes because govts in the biggest emitting countries may be too slow to do anything.

Archived